How reliable is the LUAS timetable wise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caveat

Hi

Someone I know hopes to start work in Dublin and will be commuting.

They will be relying on the LUAS red line at around 8:00 AM. If things run smoothly they can make it to work with about 5 or 6 minutes to spare but any hiccups and they will be late.

Generally, can the LUAS be relied upon at this time of the morning?

They state every 5-7 minutes I think.

i get it most morning and find it very good. A car getting in the way is the onyl hold up i've had. Oh or a car running into the Luas:rolleyes:

<edit>
Its not every 5-7 minutes in my experience. That said you'd rarely be waiting longer than 15~20 mins for one. Usually its around 10 mins in my experience.
</edit>

Apologies, in my tiredness I thought you were talking about the Dart. My bad. Strike the above. Luas never more than 10 mines. Assuming you can fit on it, as it gets packed.

I've rarely had to wait ten minutes for a luas even at off peak times. I've always found them very reliable.

But if he is that worried about being late for work then his best bet is to leave the house earlier if possible. Where is he travelling from and to?

But if he is that worried about being late for work then his best bet is to leave the house earlier if possible.

Not possible. Overall commute is dictated by train to Connolly - cannot get LUAS any earlier than 8ish.

Thanks all. If e.g. it's rare to wait longer than 10 minutes, it'll probably be OK.

Depends on the timetable just choose your time carefully. If its the sligo/maynooth train, its often delayed 5 - 10 mins trying to get into connolly if it misses its slot. But only at certain times.

Ah right. Suppose only time will tell but as i said i've always found it a great service. He should mate sure he already has his ticket such as a weekly or monthly ticket so he can just jump straight on the tram if there is one there. Nothing worse than waiting for your ticket when you can hear the doors closing.

I've been taking the Luas for about twenty months and I've only had problems three times (all mechanical breakdowns). All the other trips have been perfectly reliable except for 10-30 seconds delays when some idiot blocks a yellow box. I've never had to wait more than 4 minutes during peak and 10 minutes off-peak.

I've only used the green line which is mostly off-street so your mileage may vary with the red line.

Great - sounding pretty reliable by most accounts then.

Now all they have to worry about is a train strike...

Luas drivers have a no-strike clause in their contract.

If you're used to commuting by Irish Rail, using Luas will be a breath of fresh air (not literally, it can be a bit of a Calcutta express at rush hour). If there are problems, there'll be announcements at the platform and by the driver and there'll usually be staff at the closed stops to tell you how to complete your journey. It's not perfect but its a lot better.

i work on the LUAS, and very reliable. you should have no problem. they put extra trams on the line for the peak hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back