How do you pay for your car?

Like Firefly, I bought my last car up the North. For what I was spending it wasn't worth going to GB, and there wasn't a comparable car in the south, or should I say, for the money I would have got a much lesser spec'ed model with far greater mileage.

I'll qualify this with the fact that I like small cars, I only drive 20~30kms most days, so I have a specific need, which doesn't include status, range, long distance comfort or family transport.
When I left the smoke out of my previous car ( '96 Fiat Punto - blew the head gasket), I scrapped it. I took the train to Belfast, bought a Hyundai i10, 2009, with 17k on the clock. This as around 4 years ago. Total cost, including VRT was €7k.

I spend 300 on insurance, 200 on tax, and around 1000 on petrol a year. Services are cheap, as are tyres (when I last got a set, the guy in the BMW next to me said it cost the same for one of his as the four of mine).. It is the essence of cheap, dependable motoring. I have taken it to Dublin a few times, no problem, but mostly it is just one person (me) in it every day. I've loaded it with 16 bags of bark mulch, and a full set of wardrobes from Ikea (not at the same time!). And the guy who services it is always amazed at the pep in it (1.2 ltr engine in a small, light car).

I toy with the idea of buying electric, but as long as it keeps going, it is cheaper to keep it.

Some friends take the p*ss about having a dinky car, but I point out I'm the one who can afford a few holidays a year (while they're servicing a loan for a 30K + car).

So I'm buying for my specific needs, spending the lowest money to get the most of what I want.

and you obviously arent into cars, some people are, so will spend more to effectively get the same result as you do.

like buying a casio or a rolex, both will tell the time.

My VRT was about 300 euro higher than I was quoted on the vrt.ie website alright. Still much cheaper than flying over & ferry back and accommodation though.

If I was spending 20k+ I would probably go to the UK alright as you could get exactly what you wanted. It wasn't worth it for what I was spending though

The jeep I'm interested in have gone from 60 k new to 80 in the past year due to VRT changes, add to that, road tax gone from 330 to 1200, effected Toyota landcruiser, Land rover discovery etc the same

The jeep I'm interested in have gone from 60 k new to 80 in the past year due to VRT changes, add to that, road tax gone from 330 to 1200, effected Toyota landcruiser, Land rover discovery etc the same

its just not available as a commercial any more you mean

Not in to cars myself much prefer a nice house, any spare cash goes in to that, worked in dublin many years ago doing up corporation houses for Dublin city council and was amazed at the squalor some people were living in and they would have a new car outside the door madness in my opinion.

Like Firefly, I bought my last car up the North. For what I was spending it wasn't worth going to GB, and there wasn't a comparable car in the south, or should I say, for the money I would have got a much lesser spec'ed model with far greater mileage.

I'll qualify this with the fact that I like small cars, I only drive 20~30kms most days, so I have a specific need, which doesn't include status, range, long distance comfort or family transport.
When I left the smoke out of my previous car ( '96 Fiat Punto - blew the head gasket), I scrapped it. I took the train to Belfast, bought a Hyundai i10, 2009, with 17k on the clock. This as around 4 years ago. Total cost, including VRT was €7k.

I spend 300 on insurance, 200 on tax, and around 1000 on petrol a year. Services are cheap, as are tyres (when I last got a set, the guy in the BMW next to me said it cost the same for one of his as the four of mine).. It is the essence of cheap, dependable motoring. I have taken it to Dublin a few times, no problem, but mostly it is just one person (me) in it every day. I've loaded it with 16 bags of bark mulch, and a full set of wardrobes from Ikea (not at the same time!). And the guy who services it is always amazed at the pep in it (1.2 ltr engine in a small, light car).

I toy with the idea of buying electric, but as long as it keeps going, it is cheaper to keep it.

Some friends take the p*ss about having a dinky car, but I point out I'm the one who can afford a few holidays a year (while they're servicing a loan for a 30K + car).

So I'm buying for my specific needs, spending the lowest money to get the most of what I want.

I like the way you think but I know people who spend nothing on travel or eating out,, cars are their only luxury expenses, I drive a now thirteen year old Toyota landcruiser which I paid 27 k for in 2008, lot of money on day one but I love the high driving position and looked after it well, next jeep will cost me minimum 40 k if I buy a jeep again, my Toyota worth about 7 k today so il borrow 30k over five years at 6.74%

and you obviously arent into cars, some people are, so will spend more to effectively get the same result as you do.

Absolutely!, which is why I qualified my post.
If someone likes cars, want's to buy one for 100k, then good luck to them. I have no problem with what anyone spends on their car, that's up to them. I can only try to explain my stance.

Some people just don't get the a car is more than a functional piece of machinery designed to get you from A to B

Terrific car for those people, dacia duster

Not in to cars myself much prefer a nice house, any spare cash goes in to that, worked in dublin many years ago doing up corporation houses for Dublin city council and was amazed at the squalor some people were living in and they would have a new car outside the door madness in my opinion.

Agree with you there

For me, (like the thread on the new RTE money program), and no doubt for most of the posters here, it's all about opportunity cost. With a limited income, what is the most value I can get for my money? And by value I don't just mean monetary value, I mean enjoyment, satisfaction, whatever you want to call it. For me it's not cars, so an extra € spent on a car above a threshold, will not give me as much reward as the same € spent on a meal out, a holiday, or sailing, (or as Blackrock1 suggests, a better watch).
Others are different, and will derive more satisfaction out of that € spend on their car rather than something else.

For me, the idea of financing a car with any sort of interest bearing loan, be it credit union, pcp or whatever, is anathema. What I would see is a depreciating asset that is being financed by an interest bearing debt So I am getting hit on the double.

But that's just me :)o_O

(Apologies if it's grandma egg-sucking time).

Below is a piece from The Times today. As they used to say in Hill Street Blues, "Be careful out there".

One in six used cars on sale may be at risk of repossession as they still have finance outstanding on them.In a study of a sample of 5,906 used cars offered for sale and history-checked by vehicle history checking website Cartell.ie, 16.6 per cent still had outstanding debt, meaning the finance provider was the ultimate owner of the vehicle and not the seller. In December 2017 it stood at 14.3 per cent. In July 2016 the rate was just 9.5 per cent.A spokesperson for the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) said: “If a consumer purchases a car with outstanding finance on it, the car could be repossessed by the lender, even if the consumer has already paid the previous owner for it.

Some people just don't get the a car is more than a functional piece of machinery designed to get you from A to B

This is what I'm probably going to end up buying.

Has anyone experienced buying directly online? I came across this car which seems to be great value but I just couldn't bring myself to but a car like this without seeing it in the flesh.

[broken link removed]

There would seem to be a much less of a risk buying a new car in this way.

This is what I'm probably going to end up buying.

Has anyone experienced buying directly online? I came across this car which seems to be great value but I just couldn't bring myself to but a car like this without seeing it in the flesh.

[broken link removed]

There would seem to be a much less of a risk buying a new car in this way.

Those dusters have a good reputation for reliability and are outstanding value

As for that mitsubishi, looks nice but not a big seller so be prepared to keep it long term

Nah, too big :)

What I would really like is an mx5, but I can't get a roof rack and a bicycle on it. And if I want to get my jollies on the road, I just take my 150 BHP motorbike out for a ride.

Fortunately we never did the pcp on our family car, last year our business started to fail and this year we have closed. My monthly repayment on my now 4 yr almost 5 yr old car €189 pm so its doable even in financially tight circumstances. When I buy a car it has to be dependable, 7 seater, low mileage. My car last year bought just before the decline had only 23k miles on it, I do about 12k miles per year and I hope to get another 7/8 years on it and the loan will be finished in 3 years.
Buying new cars is only fine when you know you can keep up the repayments even when in financial difficulty.
It was the same when we got a mortgage for our house in 2002, banks were throwing out money and everyone around us was building big beautiful houses with finished stone and all the extras, we built a nice but modest home and our mortgage is manageable. We took the long term view of 'what if something goes wrong with our business' and now that we are both facing SW until we get employment we can cover the basics with a very and I mean very frugal existence.
Hey ho that's how life goes, everybody gets their down years but silver lining and all that.

Back