How do you pay for your car?

Hi,

I am looking for a 2nd hand family car with a decent cash budget of €12,000-€15,000. My last car was purchased second hand 8 years ago and it is on its last legs. I will be doing the same again with this one.

How do you pay for your car?

I buy my cars with cash, usually about 4-5 years old. I've previously had BMWs but once they hit 8 years I find they break my heart. So, I've gone with an Avensis this time. It's obviously nowhere as fun to drive but I've had it a year now and haven't put a penny into it. Best of all, it flew through the NCT, which was a first for me.

Page 2 of this thread, you claimed "you own nothing "by buying through pcp

Like I said , ability to afford nowhere in the argument against

And exactly how is that me saying that “PCP is fundamentally a bad idea”?

It’s merely a statement of fact.

And exactly how is that me saying that “PCP is fundamentally a bad idea”

It's pedantic rubbish

Closing this off, I'm not seeing anything in Gordon's contributions that equates to PCPs are bad. His statement that you own nothing is factually correct, and that is quite clearly spelled out in the small print of such agreements. At the end of the 3 year period have the option of handing the car back, or buying it for the final value. During those 3 years, the car remains fully the property of the financing company.

Another significant difference between can and home finance is the ease at which a car can be repossessed if you fall behind the payment schedule.

The subsequent line about PCPs being the devil for those who can't afford what they are being induced to buy applies equally to all forms of credit and is not limited to car financing or PCPs.

this seems to be a thread where the OP wants to scoff at anyone buying a new car and assumes that his method of buying a reliable car for 10k for cash is the most appropriate in all circumstances.

he also says PCP is an expensive way to buy a car, it isnt, in fact there are plenty of 0% finance deals. Buying a new car is expensive, no matter how you do it, but PCP can be relatively inexpensive way of doing it.

finally, to the point that you are only renting the car, who cars, really that would be my preference, rent a depreciating asset rather than own it.

This is untrue. My question is how do you finance your car? I have absolutely no issue with people buying new cars as long as they can afford them.

My issue with PCP is that it makes new cars available to people who should not be buying new cars. I know very little about PCP and was genuinely interested in why some people were willing to make such a commitment if they cannot afford it. There does absolutely seem to be some great PCP deals out there on the face of it, but how someone on a modest salary can stroll into a garage and drive off in a €40k car on finance that appears to have loose regulation is mad to me.

There was a lot of talk a couple of years back that the increasing popularity of PCPs would distort the second hand market. In reality, sales of new cars has fallen for the last two years, by 4.4% last year on a volume that was 10.4% down on 2016. While overall sales are down, the level of financing has crept up by small margins for the last few years, but there's nothing in the numbers to suggest and significant shift in patterns.
Thanks for that Leo. Do you mind me asking where you can access the car sales info?

This is untrue. My question is how do you finance your car? I have absolutely no issue with people buying new cars as long as they can afford them.

My issue with PCP is that it makes new cars available to people who should not be buying new cars. I know very little about PCP and was genuinely interested in why some people were willing to make such a commitment if they cannot afford it. There does absolutely seem to be some great PCP deals out there on the face of it, but how someone on a modest salary can stroll into a garage and drive off in a €40k car on finance that appears to have loose regulation is mad to me.

how are you defining what they can afford?

I know very little about PCP and was genuinely interested in why some people were willing to make such a commitment if they cannot afford it.
How do you determine they cannot afford it?

Edit - Already asked by Blackrock1.

I think there is a distinction between 'buying a new car' and 'having a new car', and the reality is that PCP allows a lot of people to 'have' a new car, without really having to fully understand what it is they are paying for. Again, a focus on monthly cashflow instead of a total cost.

For me the ultimate test of affordability is being able to afford the depreciation, and PCP get's pretty close to the model of merely paying the depreciation while preserving some of value of the asset (GMFV).

Someone who has to finance a luxury item that is a depreciating asset.
Of course the person who is buying it will not consider it a luxury but a necessity.

I agree with your point that there are far too many people buying new cars with debt.

Of course the person who is buying it will not consider it a luxury but a necessity.

I agree with your point that there are far too many people buying new cars with debt.

How people consider a new car to be a necessity is a bit crazy to me.

Affordability doesn't appear to be an issue to the lenders so I have set my own parameters which I am sure others will disagree with.

Perhaps my view is coming across as self righteous and this really wasn't my intension. I have also found myself in the middle of a PCP dispute...an area I have very little knowledge of.

My initial query about how you, as in other posters, finance their cars has been derailed. Partly by me and partly by others.

so you advocate taking full ownership of this depreciating luxury asset instead of effectively renting it for a period?

No I am not advocating that but I can see how one could come to that conclusion.

I would prefer to see people cutting their cloth to measure. I have absolutely no issue with PCP financing. I have no issue with people who can afford to purchase new cars doing so. I would just like to see people exercising a bit more financial prudence in their decisions when purchasing a car.

For people who are living paycheque to paycheque, why pay €100 a month for a new car when you can get a 3 year old one for €50 a month?

Garage finance here I buy something around 2 years old every 5 years, that car goes on to be the second car than ,200 a month with a small deposit. Cheap motoring in my opinion.

This is interesting. What type of 2 year old car would you expect to get for €200 p/m over 5 years? Does that include any sort of servicing or warranty?

Cheers

Back