How can there be 150,000 uninsured cars on the roads?

True Roker true, I bought a 17 year old car recently with no NCT. I can't get insurance without the NCT and I can't drive it to the NCT centre without insurance.
And I can't tax it without insurance.
Bureaucracy and red tape gone mad in this country.

Can you tax online? You don't need insurance details for that, well they ask but you can put any random info and it doesn't know the difference :) Doesn't solve the problem of driving it to NCT centre though.

You can only push people so far, if they haven't got the money because of paying increases in bills property tax etc, they will do what they can to save money. In rural areas a car is essential and they will use it to get to work some families need 2 cars, 1 for the father to go to work and 2 for the mother to take the kids to school, in the city there is public transport, no car expenses.
Are you suggesting that insurance should be optional or maybe people on welfare or with medical cards or something like that should not have to pay it?
As for public transport being better in cities; yes that's true, but rent and houses are much more expensive and public transport is of no use for many people.

I am not making such suggestion, I am saying it will get out of hand because people haven't got enough to go around

You can only push people so far, if they haven't got the money because of paying increases in bills property tax etc, they will do what they can to save money. In rural areas a car is essential and they will use it to get to work some families need 2 cars, 1 for the father to go to work and 2 for the mother to take the kids to school, in the city there is public transport, no car expenses.

At a practical level this is perfectly understandable. However, it is not a justification for knowingly taking a car in to a public place without valid motor insurance. The argument posed would not ground a defence to a charge of driving with no insurance.

I would characterise such an act as anti-social because it has an impact on those who do drive with valid insurance in place. An uninsured driver involved in an accident for which they are liable incurs an actual financial liability for those who are insured. The MIBI will deal with the claim but the costs involved will ultimately be recovered from those who do insure. Even if the uninsured driver is not involved in an accident the principle is the same in that the uninsured driver is effectively making insured drivers carry his risk of being involved in an accident for which there is a legal liability.

Reactions: Leo
How was the suggested figure of 150,000 uninsured cars calculated ? The article refers to the MIBI but how have they derived the figure ?

I have encountered two "insurance/tax/NCT" checkpoints within 12 months - one outside the German Embassy in Booterstown and one on Booterstown Avenue with armed back-up !

That could be a cover for something else.

At a practical level this is perfectly understandable. However, it is not a justification for knowingly taking a car in to a public place without valid motor insurance. The argument posed would not ground a defence to a charge of driving with no insurance....

I would characterise such an act as anti-social....

None of that matters if its financially beneficial to do it.

Back