How can there be 150,000 uninsured cars on the roads?

Possibly these aren't cars that are driven too often...

Next time you are walking along a busy street lined with cars, do a quick scan of the tax and insurance and NCT discs... on a small suburban street in Dublin with about 30 cars, I counted about one in three had an expired disc of one sort or another. A small number had all three expired.
So 7.5% doesn't surprise me as a figure.

Is it any wonder our premiums are so high?

Another example of people screwing the system with everyone else having to pay.

I wonder if they changed the law so that regardless of who is to blame for an accident, if one of the parties was uninsured, the laibility always went to them?

Given that the practice is so widespread, I think the spot impounding of the car should be introduced with a very hefty release fee.

Repeat offenders should get time.

The UK has now gotten rid of the tax disc

No disks at all on UK windscreen. Even though they have insurance tax and MOT on the cars.

Police cars use NPPR to scan the reg and check it out.

Not sure why the Gardai can't use the same rather than depending on paper in a window.

Police cars use NPPR
ANPR - automatic number-plate recognition. The Guards have a few on trial apparently for tax but not insurance or NCT certs. Why? motor tax is payable to the State, but not the other two.

I come into contact with cars most days, work related, and since the new rules regarding Motor Tax Renewal, I cant remember the last time i saw an out of date tax disc.

Police cars use NPPR to scan the reg and check it out.

Not sure why the Gardai can't use the same rather than depending on paper in a window.

'Cause guards can't use computers. Google implementation of the pulse system.

ANPR - automatic number-plate recognition. The Guards have a few on trial apparently for tax but not insurance or NCT certs. Why? motor tax is payable to the State, but not the other two.

Insurance validation is coming, there still isn't a source for this data they can use. The MIBI are working on it, and expect it to be delivered in 2018, then they expect it'll take until 2019 before the insurance companies have their own systems modified to capture additional details required and publish these to the central source.

I have travelled across Country for more than 30 years visiting home, about 130 miles each way, during that time I have been stopped twice at checkpoints.

I have travelled across Country for more than 30 years visiting home, about 130 miles each way, during that time I have been stopped twice at checkpoints.

I have been stopped more times in Dublin 1 and 3 in last 12 months than previous 12 years. I dont think their focus was on tax or insurance though...

I read in last few months about a blitz on cars parked in some dublin shopping centres ... more of that please.

It took me 3 and a half weeks to get an insurance disc into my hands from the time that I paid the premium.
I switched brokers to save €100 but I don't understand how it took so long to get a disc.

How was the suggested figure of 150,000 uninsured cars calculated ? The article refers to the MIBI but how have they derived the figure ?

I have encountered two "insurance/tax/NCT" checkpoints within 12 months - one outside the German Embassy in Booterstown and one on Booterstown Avenue with armed back-up !

You can only push people so far, if they haven't got the money because of paying increases in bills property tax etc, they will do what they can to save money. In rural areas a car is essential and they will use it to get to work some families need 2 cars, 1 for the father to go to work and 2 for the mother to take the kids to school, in the city there is public transport, no car expenses.

Back