Housing for key workers

Exactly, that's the whole point. teachers only make up a small number of such jobs, and they are better paid than many of them.
We can ignore the problem until Saoirse or Cian has no teacher for their honours maths class in Dublin and risks not getting the points they need for medicine. Then there will be uproar!

All workers in London get a London Allowance. It is graded depending on how near you work to the city centre. It has worked well there for decades. Really think we need to consider something similar here for Dublin.
Over 20 years working in HSE recruitment, the idea of a "allowance" has been floated since then. But nurses are not the only grade working in hospital. When I tell someibe I work in X hospital l, I immediately follow it with a, no I'm not a nurse.

We have low paid admin, medical scientists, HCAs etc. The salary improves after 4 or 5 years.

Over 20 years working in HSE recruitment, the idea of a "allowance" has been floated since then. But nurses are not the only grade working in hospital. When I tell someibe I work in X hospital l, I immediately follow it with a, no I'm not a nurse.

We have low paid admin, medical scientists, HCAs etc. The salary improves after 4 or 5 years.
But everyone in administration in a hospital is lazy and part of the problem and all nurses are selfless hardworking heroes. Did you not get the memo?

Reactions: KOW
I haven't read the report. Have you a link? If I get very bored some evening I might.
Oh why waste your time when you can just continue to base your argument on false assumptions and cast doubts on a report you haven't read!!

We can ignore the problem until Saoirse or Cian has no teacher for their honours maths class in Dublin and risks not getting the points they need for medicine. Then there will be uproar!
I don't think anyone has suggested we ignore the problem, but few would agree that teachers are more deserving or more in need of supports than other lower paid sectors of the workforce.

I don't think anyone has suggested we ignore the problem, but few would agree that teachers are more deserving or more in need of supports than other lower paid sectors of the workforce.
At no point did I suggest that either...but most sensible people would recognise that a continued shortage of teachers will cause significant disruption if it isn't addressed.

Oh why waste your time when you can just continue to base your argument on false assumptions and cast doubts on a report you haven't read!!
Because we cannot assume any single report is an accurate reflection or comparison.

At no point did I suggest that either...but most sensible people would recognise that a continued shortage of teachers will cause significant disruption if it isn't addressed.
A solution would be to give subsidised housing to construction workers since it is the shortage of skilled labour in that area which is the main constraint on housing supply. If we addressed that issue then housing would become cheaper and nurses and teachers and the other front line heroes would be able to afford housing.

Reactions: Leo
Because we cannot assume any single report is an accurate reflection or comparison.
Yet without reading it you dismissed it and sought to cast doubts over Davy as a whole based on the actions of a few.

The CSO and other reports continue to confirm that public servants including teachers on the lower rungs of the grade structures are better paid than those in the private sector. Unless you can point to evidence to the contrary, let's move on.

A solution would be to give subsidised housing to construction workers since it is the shortage of skilled labour in that area which is the main constraint on housing supply. If we addressed that issue then housing would become cheaper and nurses and teachers and the other front line heroes would be able to afford housing.

Yet without reading it you dismissed it and sought to cast doubts over Davy as a whole based on the actions of a few.

The CSO and other reports continue to confirm that public servants including teachers on the lower rungs of the grade structures are better paid than those in the private sector. Unless you can point to evidence to the contrary, let's move on.
Agree we need to move on and accept that there is a whole cohort of workers that are unable to afford to rent affordable or buy in Dublin. Trying to assert that it isn't an issue for some public sector workers because they are paid more than their private sector counterparts is a pointless argument. It is an issue and urban areas need these essential services.

Last edited:
Agree we need to move on and accept that there is a whole cohort of workers that are unable to afford to rent affordable or buy in Dublin. Trying to assert that it isn't an issue for some public sector workers because they are paid more than their private sector counterparts is a pointless argument. It is an issue and urban areas need these essential services.
Yep, so it's disingenuous of Union leaders in the public sector to poor-mouth about relatively well paid employees while ignoring those who are on low pay. It's also deeply disingenuous to assert that they are more essential or important that people who do other jobs and, given the tragic events in Lebanon this week, describing them as working on the front line is in extremely bad taste.

I know that Unions are there to advance the short term interests of their members and, in the case of public sector unions, to protect the haves from the have-nots, but even taking that into account I find their falsehoods and cynical opportunism nauseating.

Reactions: Leo
The state already makes an allowance towards rental costs in Dublin compared to elsewhere eg you can avail of Hap in Dublin as a single person if you net income is 35k or less in Carlow the limit is 30k net. Both to increase by 5k in new year.
There is rental support there already.
Would a Dublin allowance apply to renters only or homeowners too?
Would a homeowner mortgage free who was classed as an essential worker qualify?
Would giving an allowance not just push up rents?

The state already makes an allowance towards rental costs in Dublin compared to elsewhere eg you can avail of Hap in Dublin as a single person if you net income is 35k or less in Carlow the limit is 30k net. Both to increase by 5k in new year.
There is rental support there already.
Would a Dublin allowance apply to renters only or homeowners too?
Would a homeowner mortgage free who was classed as an essential worker qualify?
Would giving an allowance not just push up rents?
The London weighting applies to the location of the job not the circumstances of the employee. There is no guarantee it would work in Dublin or other cities but it could be worth investigating.

I think the nail has been hit on the head by one poster. Giving an allowance gives one cohort of workers an advantage over everyone else. We need as many private sector workers as public sector workers in Dublin and in other major cities.. IMO we should incentivize housing for construction workers in the areas that need it and not just Irish ones. I would have an Irish passport ready for any foreign worker who is willing to relocate and spend 5 years building in the country. This would tackle the disease and not thinker around with the symptoms. The only way our country can work for us is if we have more housing.

Back