Home Alone from what age?

The first time I can remember being home alone was about 7 or 8 with all younger siblings. Got up when they went out at night to watch the telly, lit papers in fireplace coz we were cold and the chimney went on fire, did we ring anyone and tell them about it, no way, too afraid of the consequences, just watched the chimney from inside and it took ages to go out. No one ever found out until years later...........

The first time I can remember being home alone was about 7 or 8 with all younger siblings. Got up when they went out at night to watch the telly, lit papers in fireplace coz we were cold and the chimney went on fire, did we ring anyone and tell them about it, no way, too afraid of the consequences, just watched the chimney from inside and it took ages to go out. No one ever found out until years later...........
7 or 8 it is then :D

What we are talking about here is maturity....no, not the teenager's state of mind....the parents! As in: are you mature enough not to consider leaving your child (for anyone under 18 is a child) alone at night or even "for a few hours"?

What we are talking about here is maturity....no, not the teenager's state of mind....the parents! As in: are you mature enough not to consider leaving your child (for anyone under 18 is a child) alone at night or even "for a few hours"?
What?
I'm not clear, are you saying that it's a sign of immaturity to leave a 17.5 year old (or a group of 17.5 year olds) alone for a few hours in the evening? If so I presume you are joking! At that age I had travelled abroad alone and with friends and had lived away from home for months at a time.
That sort of parenting will produce children that will be living at home at 40 and will still not be able to look after themselves.

See my original post - I will not leave my children alone overnight.

Your original post:
Shocking as it may seem, there is no legislation on this issue.

Personally, I would not leave teenagers overnight.

ClubMan's query:
Not even 19 years olds?

Your reply, specifically quoting ClubMan:
Not even 19 years olds?
Nope! And if they are still living at home at the age of 25 I've done something wrong!

Regardless of their age, your children will always be your children.
At some point, you must accept that while they are your children, they are no longer children, but adults.
At what age would you consider leaving them old or responsible enough to be left alone for a full night?
I'm not trying to be provocative - I'm just curious.

Regardless of their age, your children will always be your children.
At some point, you must accept that while they are your children, they are no longer children, but adults.
At what age would you consider leaving them old or responsible enough to be left alone for a full night?
I'm not trying to be provocative - I'm just curious.
You are being too nice here YouNeek; not leaving a 19 year old alone overnight is just plain nuts!

i have a 24 and 19 boys and if i am going away i get my sister to stay as the have partys all the time .........
and my two take days to clan up after it

At some point, you must accept that while they are your children, they are no longer children, but adults
Yep and I'll know that point has been reached when they have moved out! :)

How old are your children YouNeek?

Yep and I'll know that point has been reached when they have moved out! :)

So if they leave home to go to college at the age of 17, they're adults. But if they're still living with you at the age of 30, they're still children and you won't leave them alone overnight?

So if they leave home to go to college at the age of 17, they're adults. But if they're still living with you at the age of 30, they're still children and you won't leave them alone overnight?

Mad, isn't it?

Lucan07 speaks from personal experience:
i have a 24 and 19 boys and if i am going away i get my sister to stay as the have partys all the time .........and my two take days to clan up after it
So, how old are your children, YouNeek?

I dont think any posters are saying they would not leave a 19 year old alone because of concerns for the 'child's well-being and personal safety - more a concern that they will have house-wrecking parties.

All of you should think back to when you yourself were first left home alone and if you were happy, safe and content at that age then you should apply the same to your children surely. Not one of you have said when you were left home alone.

All of you should think back to when you yourself were first left home alone and if you were happy, safe and content at that age then you should apply the same to your children surely. Not one of you have said when you were left home alone.

14 - babysitting the younger ones........youngest was 4 (but that was just an evening, not being left overnight!)

Back