Home Alone from what age?

Lingua

I need to settle an argument:
What is the legal age one can leave their offspring Home Alone - is it 15 or 16? (for a period no longer than 3 nights)

Shocking as it may seem, there is no legislation on this issue.

Personally, I would not leave teenagers overnight.

I'd say it depends on the teenager, some teenagers I wouldnt let make a cup of tea, but there are others I'd trust completely.

Of course there is always the old reverse psychology, say to them just as your leaving, "when you throw your party make sure nothing gets damaged"....worked wonders on me.

I need to settle an argument:
What is the legal age one can leave their offspring Home Alone - is it 15 or 16? (for a period no longer than 3 nights)
I wouldn't ever leave a 15/16 yr old alone for three nights - i find this absoloutely shocking!! Is there anyone else with me here or am i a very over protective mother.

14-19 would be the party age i think.:)
But yeah seems a bit dumb to leave kids of any age alone.

Well he's back from Oxegen....the tent dumped on the floor, the dirty clothes still in the bag, the wellington boots still caked in muck and dumped in the garage, the pots and pans left beside the kitchen sink, my torch missing......but hey! He's happy.

I wouldn't ever leave a 15/16 yr old alone for three nights - i find this absoloutely shocking!! Is there anyone else with me here or am i a very over protective mother.

I don't think you're over-protective, and I'd have to say it depends on the child - some mature earlier/later than others. But rule of thumb:
I'd let them go away on camps etc with adult supervision; I'd let them be alone in the house while I'm at work (& they're on hols) from about 13-14; but I wouldn't leave them alone for 3 days & nights without adult supervision till 17-18.

Is there a relative or family friend who could drop in?

My nephews friends mother was asked by neighbours to keep an eye on there two teenagers 14 and 16 while they were away for the weekend. She agreed to pop in in the evenings and later in the night and make sure they had eaten etc. Major party had during the day on the sat - alot of drunk teenagers and one girl who was a diabetic collapsed which was worrying. not a good idea.
From another experience I would take into account that no matter how much you think your kids wouldn't do it watch for the peer pressure ...'ah come on your parents are away what's the harm we'll help clean up ....etc etc,
got caught myself about 18 yrs ago too!!!

every teenager over 16 has two words ( appear to be know worldwide)that should strike terror into anyone thinking of leaving them alone for 3 days. Free House.

Have to agree with you on that one. I wont even leave my 14 yr old on his own for the night while I go to the pub and its not a trust issue. its more a case of worrying about all sort of wierdos around.

but I wouldn't leave them alone for 3 days & nights without adult supervision till 17-18.

But a lot of kids go off to college at 17 (me included). I was left home alone for a week at 16 and 2 of my friends were allowed to stay. We had a great time. Didn't have parties but didn't get in trouble for coming home from town at 4 or 5am!

It does depend on the teenager. I was 16 doing the leaving, 17 by the time I started college. If I wasn't living at home should my parents have forbidden me from going to college in another part of the country cos I'd have to rent? What about a 17 year old mother, they do exist. She can look after her own child, even be married (possible with court exemption order?), but can't be left on her own for a night without her parents? Bet her husband would love that.

My parents went away last summer and left my 17 year old brother at home. Granted I only live 10 mins away and was instructed to check in on him every day and he'd rather spend the week at parties in other people's houses than throw one himself. Plus this was the first summer they left him alone, at 15 and 16 my sister moved back in, just to sleep, left him to it during the day.

At 14 I was babysitting for plenty of neighbours and minding the above brother who was 2. So I really don't think it's as cut and dried as one day it's irresponsible but if they turn 18 the next day it's not. Noone grows up over night.

I wouln't leave my 15 year old home alone overnight, but she's been home on her own during the day since she was 12. At first only for up to an hour but at 15 I'd leave her for as long as I needed to during the day. She needs her own space sometimes just as we do.
That said, she's NEVER babysat and I doubt she will for a couple of years yet.

I never left my two boys home alone then when oldest reached 18 he went off to USA(to family) but decided to stay on in his own place. Youngest went to college in Limerick straight to a flat at 17. Now I think I would have been better off leaving them for the odd night to give them a bit of responsibility.

I wouln't leave my 15 year old home alone overnight, but she's been home on her own during the day since she was 12. At first only for up to an hour but at 15 I'd leave her for as long as I needed to during the day. She needs her own space sometimes just as we do.
That said, she's NEVER babysat and I doubt she will for a couple of years yet.

I was left on my own in the house from an early age during the day (as both parents worked during the day and I lived close to my school) and I think it was the best thing my parents could have done for me. I was always sure to be secure in the house and make sure everything was locked etc. and always had a number to contact a neighbour or my parents should anything go wrong. It made me very independent from a very early age.

Another way to look at is as follows: Imagine you left them home alone and something really bad happened that could easily have been avoided if there was a guardian/minder there. Below what age would you beat yourself up because it was stupid to leave them alone. That is the age you are looking for. I.e. be responsible, regardless of how mature your child is.

Well I was out in the big bad world of college at 17 , so I can't imagine how I would have coped if I was never left more than an hour unsupervised before that....

Back