Key Post Hedge trimmers.

Garden Equipment

ferryman,

Karen's post specifically mentioned 'Gardening Equipment' in the subject box. You got your answers on the hedge trimmers, Karen is entitled to an answer also. Don't be so selfish.

both Stihl and Honda are good brands

which you pay a premium for. Without knowing specific models both should last well but parts will be slightly more expensive than the norm if needed.

hedgetrimmers

I am in the business of selling,hire,and repairing garden equipment for almost 35 years, and during this time I have dealt with all the makes mentioned ,and many more.
I would agree with much of the advice offered, but I have no hesitation in recomending the Stihl range of hedgetrimmers.They have a good selection of models to choose from to suit diy and professional users.They are reliable, easy to use and parts are significantly less expensive than Tanaka and other similar models.I suspect this is due to two main reasons,they are the product of a german co.( i.e. euro zone).Stihl pursue a policy of fair and reasonable spare parts priceing.For example the cost of a replacement blade for a Stihl is almost half that of a Tanaka.
Yes I am a Stihl dealer, and hope to remain so.But I offer these opinions without bias and with no ulterior motive.
regards
John.

Dealerships

The family business is an agent for both Tanaka and Stihl amongst others.

Seen very good and verybad products from both Tanaka and Stihl.
Disagree that parts pricing for Stihl is significantly better than for Tanaka. With any horticultural equipment the distributors generally screw you for parts afterward - nature of the business. The dealer isn't making the money with a margin of 25% to 33% typical. The only parts on which you'll see reasonable prices are those for products used by Hire companies as they tend to switch allegiance if the price of parts is too high unlike consumers who are tied into a purchase of their consumer durable for in excess of a decade.

I'm sure John P will agree that it is difficult to charge a fair rate for Labour thanks to the high cost of parts accross the board balloning up the repair bill before you even lay a hand on the machine in the workshop.

Hedgetrimmers

I have been a Stihl agent for nearly twenty years and have sold Tanaka for twenty six years, although not for the last three.The reasons for this are many, some mechanical, some business/political.
I agree that every manufacturer produces their share of "lemons",in some cases the crop is big.In the Stihl range there have,in the past,been a few,but none that I can think of in recent years.
Since the transfer of the Stihl franchise in Ireland about 3 years ago I have seen many changes for the better, i.e.larger range,better backup and a more enlightened approach to pricing,both of new units and of spare parts.In many cases there have been significant reductions in both areas.
I dont agree that distributors value the business of hire companies more than end users.After all,a busy hire shop might only purchase ten or fifteen units of any model per year whereas a busy retailer could sell ten times that.Also you can judge their attitude to the hire trade from the very different warranty cover offered.Usually one year to end user,and only one month to the hire trade.The main advantage,from a distributors viewpoint,of selling to the hire trade,is that it means that their products will be available for trial by a large number of potential buyers.
The main consideration in deciding whether to stock a particular make or model would always be one of reliability and spares backup,not price.Saving a few euro on the purchase is a very bad motive,bearing in mind how much "downtime" can cost both in financial terms,but more importantly,in customer irritation and loss of confidence in your service.
With regard to your last point, I would agree that it can be difficult to get a fair price for labour if the price of the spare parts required is exorbitant,and I have often had to spend hours at the bench for little or nothing when I realized that I might loose a customer through a heart attack when I had to present him with his repair bill.All the more reason to avoid certain brand names.
regards
John P.

Re: Key Post: hedge trimmers.

You could a get one that that is extenable and could be used standing on the ground. The head pivots to any angle.
I have used these brands you named and they are great.
Try Leinster grass machinery.

Re: Key Post: hedge trimmers.

Aldi are selling one now for €109.99......with a three year guarantee!

Re: Now, this is something I know about.

Don't buy any petrol trimmer that has the blades riveted together as they are cheap and nasty machines that will be lucky to get outside warranty period without breaking.

I realize that the original post was made 7(!) years ago, but can someone please tell me if I shouldn't buy a hedge trimmer with riveted blades, how should they be held together?

Many thanks.

D.

Back