Key Post Hedge trimmers.

S

sueellen

I have many hedges,funds no! Till now I used a hand clippers. This is getting harder as years go by. I am considering getting a pertol hedge trimmer(am told electric ones are waste of money) cos my hedges are cypress trees and are kept at 8/9 feet hidg so a ladder is needed to reach top. These are rampant growers and need attention otherwise shoot heavenwards(up). The cost of these trimmers is quoted to me @ €380 - 480.
Maker include OLEO MAC, TANAKA, HUSQVARNA, .
Anyone got any experience of these?

Trimmers

I've gor a Bosch electric and at least 200ft of hedge and it works a treat, cost about €200. Haven't used a petrol though they seem to be a lot of hassle, still I suppose that there is less chance of cutting the cable.

Brian

Now, this is something I know about.

Don't buy any petrol trimmer that has the blades riveted together as they are cheap and nasty machines that will be lucky to get outside warranty period without breaking.

Don't buy Husqvarna as they are typically very expensive to purchase and repair(parts) there after.

I like the Tanaka THT210 dobule sided hedge trimmer. It can be a bit brittle but the shock absorbers and the rotatable handle really make things much easier. The engine is quite reliable too. Many hire companies use this hedgetrimmer because their customers love it.

Blades are expensive to replace so remove all wire from your hedge before you go go near it with a hedgetrimmer.

You might want to go for a single sided hedgetrimmer as they have a longer reach and are better for getting straight angles on box hedges than doublesided trimmers but are less convenient all round.

Find yourself a good dealer, one who comes on recommendation and spend at least €400. The life a hedge trimmer is long if looked after so €400 over 10-15 years is very little really. As they are two stroke machines if you grease the gearbox and put plenty of oil in the petrol they won't give trouble.

Oleo-mac is Italian so don't expect it to be as reliable as a japanesse brand. Feel the weight of whatever you buy and remember that you'll be holding this machine above head height for considerable periods of time so if it's too heavy you'll regret buying it.

If you do buy a good hedgetrimmer don't ever lend it to anyone as they will break it on you and that is a guarantee.

trimmers

Thanks for advice Goeffrey. Tanaka has been mentioned to me as a good machine. Are you in this business?

not me, my family.

Grew up fixing garden machinery but I'm not biased in favour of Tanaka over and above any other brand they just seem to be the nicest brand out there.

There is a RRP price list for the Tanaka so ask to see the RRP and you should be paying slightly less than RRP but not too much less as there isn't much profit in garden machinery.

Find yourself a good dealer nearby who you know can fix it afterward.

Put a wing nut on the handle if you are getting a THT210.

Hedge trimmer

I'll probably be slated for this suggestion by the hedge trimmer power users (only joking! ;) ) but for what it's worth Aldi have a offer on a cheap and cheerful electric hedge trimmer for €44.99 this week (Thursday 18th April). Lidl often seem to have similar offers to Aldi so keep an eye on them too if you're interested.

hedge trimmers

Is there not a wing nut on the handle already? I presume you say to get a wing nut for thee manouverability of the handle?

wing nut

last time I looked.

The wing nut was in the bag with the manual and plug spanner with a 10mm hex nut on the handle instead.

hedgecutters

Hi Geoffrey,
Tanaka sell two hedge trimmers; a 22 inch and a 26 inch (22cc each) model.... are these both of equal reliability for domestic use? Are both models type 210?

Hedges

Ihave to cut about 50 metres of Leylandia trees (the most hated trees in the world) and I find Bosch the best. I had a Tanaka 550mm and it worked fine for a year or two then dies (it was properly maintained) - I accept that thismight have been a once off though.

But Bosch I find are good - stronng but light, reliable.

THT2100

The THT 210 originally had a short blade and it was lengthened a couple of years ago although there is nothing to stop Tanaka putting the shorter blade back on them. As I don't currently work with garden machinery I can't tell you which models are being carried this year.
I'd guess that the shorter one you've seen is a THT2100 not a THT210. If it is a 2100 then it will not have the same shock absorber handles with adjustable rear handle. It will have the same gearbox and engine so reliability will be similar.
I don't see how a Tanaka can wear out after two years unless it is being used for hire. Even if a major part goes they are easy to repair and the parts though expensive are still cheaper than replacing the unit. You will find that some dealers would prefer to sell you a new machine than fix your old one tough as it is more profitable for them - They often get your secondhand unit with valuable parts on it and cannibalise it for parts.
If you have a Bosch petrol hedge trimmer then you probably have a rebadged Sachs Dolmar hedge trimmer.
Sachs Dolmar were bought out by Bosch some years ago.
Quality of Sachs Dolmar products was always relatively good.
links for Tanaka can be found below
[broken link removed]

www.tanaka-usa.com/index.php?b=hedge

model numbers may be different.

Your dealer should have a load of different models of hedge trimmers in stock now as this is high season for hedge trimmers.

hedge trimmers

Tanaka 26 inch €440
22 inch €380
good buy?

Seems fair enough

Not up to date with prices but seems about right.
Not overly cheap or expensive.

He should be able to show you the Retail Price List and these prices will be well below RRP.

different rear handle

AFAIK The 26" should have an adjustable rear handle and shock absorbers. The THT2100 doesn't have these features.

hedge trimmers

It is clear? that the longer 26" blade with the shock absorbers and adjustible handle is designed for more frequent and more robust work!

Garden Equipment

Geoffrey,

It is a pity I didn't know you had such a wealth of knowledge on this subject prior to my purchases. My dealer recommended a Stihl strimmer(nylon&blade) and a Honda mower. Will I live to regret these buys?

hedgetrrrrrim

Hi Karen,
I dont think a strimmer or a lawnmower willbe of any use in cutting a hedge! But goodlucktoya!

Back