Heating Systems for new build

bettyboop

Hi

I am about to start building a house and am really confussed at this stage at what kind of system to go for.
I am hearing good and bad feedback from every system possible when i think i have decided i get a bad review an stuck again.

Anyone got any advice.

Its a 2500sqft two story horse in the west of ireland. I was really considering underfloor heating but not sure on the best way to heat these.
Also i definitely want a solid fuel fire in my sitting room.

All advice greatly welcomed........

I would be very interested in this too as a family member is building a similar sized dormer house, and can't decide whether to put in UF heating or rads.

Even if he does decide on that, he is not sure whether to use geothermal or oil or an air heat pump or what.

Like you, he keeps hearing different stories about each method.

In my very humble opinion I would avoid using underfloor with oil & would pair it with either a ground source or air source heat pump. Although the key is to insulate, insulate, insulate your house & make sure all areas where drafts can escape such as doors, windows, service pipes etc are taped because the more efficient your house is, the less it will cost to heat no matter what system you use.

hi i just did a 2 storey of that size in east clare
put in oil and a condeser oil burner, adding 2 externally mounted solar tube panels, fitted a triple coil SS tank. will have a waterfros stanley solid fuel stove with boiler in kitchen and used insulated slabs on the external walls, not moved in yet but the oils cheap now and have it on the lowest setting,, house is really warm, and yet to insulate the attic..

why complicate things is what i say

put in oil and a condeser oil burner, adding 2 externally mounted solar tube panels, fitted a triple coil SS tank. will have a waterfros stanley solid fuel stove with boiler in kitchen and used insulated slabs on the external walls, not moved in yet but the oils cheap now and have it on the lowest setting,, house is really warm, and yet to insulate the attic..

why complicate things is what i say

How is the stove connected to the system? The stove I imagine would be an open system and the boiler a closed system.

No Problem, thanks.

Interested as that is a very similar system to what I am looking at. I would use a "cheap" oil boiler until the cost of insert fancy, expensive eco friendly system here comes down and then I would replace that.

Krissovo, Im just wondering how much cheaper the above system would be to install than the " fancy, expensive eco friendly system" you refer to ? I have been quoted about 11,500 euro to install an air to water heat pump with all the underfloor plumbing on a 2,500sq foot storey and a half house ( UVH on both levels).This would provide all the heat & hot water in the house without any requirement for a back up system.
Im not asking this queston in a sarcastic way, I am genuinely curious as I cant imagine a system with a condensing oil burner, with 2 solar tube panels & a solid fuel stove boiler comes cheap ? Or does it ?

let me see, todate i have paid 3100 for the oil burner, grant vortex, and the ss tank 300 litre triple coil. including the balanced flue kit and two circulatiing pumps, oil tank i got free.

i have paid out 4k on plumbing materials, pipes, insulation fittings, and 3 shower trays.

i paid the plumber 2500 euro to date, and thats with the heating fired up now.

i paid 1200 stg for the stanley stove, yet to buy sanitary ware and install that, pipes are ran outside for the solar panels, which i have yet to buy , allthough i am approved for the grant which was 1500 if i recall.

thats me in a nutshell i guess. PS, my sewers etc weere done by a separate guy with my foot paths and i got free wavin pipes,

I build a new two-storey house three years ago and have been living here for the past two years. I installed a Firebird oil-burning boiler in my kitchen and the house is very well insulated. The boiler controls the water-heating and the central heating. (Rads) I have had two fills of oil in two years. I eventually decided that the true and tested way was the way to go. And I'm not sorry

Thanks Clonboy,
Thats very helpful so about 2-3k in the difference. I hear what you are saying clickity, I suppose every system is different & it is really down to personal choice & heat requirements.

Kemosabe,

I would be very interested in getting the detail of that quote, i have a very similar size house and the same heating set-up and have rec'd a quote for a few grand more. What make air to water heat pump and can you give the name of the installer?

Thanks,

Goldie.

No Problem Goldie,
The company is Energy Master in Listowel, Kerry. The make of the pump is a Daiken, Altherma. The quote I mentioned above includes supply only from energy master & underfloor installation from our plumber. Energy master will supply & install if you require but it worked out a bit more expensive for us. They have a good web site.
Hope that helps.

Hi Kemosabe,

Thanks for that. I have dealt with Energy Master previously, have only heard good things about them. Can you confirm is the €11.5k total cost of supply from Energy Master and including cost of installation and materials from plumber? If so that is fantastic and beats any quotes i could get by about €4k!

Are you installing a HRV system? If so from whom - Energy Master?

Cheers,
Goldie.

Hi Goldie,
I am awaiting a further quote from Energy Master so its difficult to give a definite answer yet. My builder has included all underfloor & whichever heat pump system I source in his quote. I was initially quoted about 8k from EM for supply & install.
Yes I am looking at an EM HRV system at present. Its an Itho HRV, an impressive system but at 7k its a bit rich so I will keep looking.
Im not sure if you are aware but Daiken have released a new version of the Altherma heat pump. This new version is more efficient, cheaper to supply & install than the older version. It incorporates the outdoor unit & the indoor hydro box into one unit. EM will have these heat pumps available soon so worth checking out.
Can I ask you what heat pumps & HRV are you considering ? Also what experiences of HM have you heared ? For example quality ? Price ? Pre-sales service ? After sales service ? Or any relevant info ?

Hi Kemosabe,

I am also looking at the Daiken altherma pump. Thanks for letting me know about the never version - i wasn't aware of that.

EM have installed a geo system for a family member and also an air to water pump in a house of a friend. Good pre and post sales reports from these people - some concern on running costs though but it is proving difficult to get very accurate information on this and also compare like with like.

I have had extensive pre sales queries with one EM employee and have found them very good so far - we are still negotiating on price! I am also looking at their ITHO HRV system but most ikely on a supply only basis and get my plumber to install as he has experience.

PM me if you want any more specific info that we are not allowed discuss on an open forum- i think we have very similar requirements.

Cheers

Goldie.

Hi Goldie,
I just sent you a PM. Hope I sent it correctly. Let me know if you dont get it.

Thanks. Have received it and replied - but i'm not sure i've done it correctly. Let me know if you don't receive it.

Hi Goldie,
I am awaiting a further quote from Energy Master so its difficult to give a definite answer yet. My builder has included all underfloor & whichever heat pump system I source in his quote. I was initially quoted about 8k from EM for supply & install.
Yes I am looking at an EM HRV system at present. Its an Itho HRV, an impressive system but at 7k its a bit rich so I will keep looking.
Im not sure if you are aware but Daiken have released a new version of the Altherma heat pump. This new version is more efficient, cheaper to supply & install than the older version. It incorporates the outdoor unit & the indoor hydro box into one unit. EM will have these heat pumps available soon so worth checking out.
Can I ask you what heat pumps & HRV are you considering ? Also what experiences of HM have you heared ? For example quality ? Price ? Pre-sales service ? After sales service ? Or any relevant info ?

Kemosabe, EM will be installing the Altherma for me in a few weeks and I was wondering where did you hear about the new version. As far as I know I am getting the seperate indoor and outdoor unit and was wondering should I get back onto EM to see if I can change it.

Back