have you used a personal trainer?

samanthajane

Thinking of getting a personal trainer and was wondering if anyone has any experience of this.

Is it worth while? What on average are their costs. I've enquired to a few that i found on a website and only 1 has returned my email. He wanted €50 an hour? Is this a resonable price? I thought it was a bit much?

thanks

My personal opinion is that employing a personal trainer is a complete and utter waste of money, now more than ever. Think about it, what can they do for you that you cannot do yourself?

Think about it, what can they do for you that you cannot do yourself?

Well i'm going wrong somewhere cause not matter what i do i'm not losing the weight i'm putting on more.

I wasn't thinking of this as a long term plan just for a month or 2 so someone can show the correct way of doing the exercises that i will get results and how much i should be doing each week. Someone to get me started. Once i have a sort of plan figured out i'll be able to carry on from there.

That was my way of thinking.

Why pay someone to tell you that you need to exercise?

Start with a walk, build it up to a slow jog and increase according. If you are mobidly obese get the doctors blessing first before anything too hectic.

Now can I have the 50 quid your throwing away?

45 minute jog 4-5 evenings a week, a resonable diet (including the odd treat) and you will start to see results.

I wasn't talking about walking/running i dont need someone to tell me to do that. And neither do i need to pay someone to walk/run with me.

I do exercise and my diet is good, but i need help with what other exercises i can do at home to help lose the weight and tone up at the same time.

And that post only took you 5 mins so i dont think i should have to pay you the full €50 lol

My daughter's friend was engaged to be married and was at a wedding of another friend. This friend was bursting out of her wedding dress and my daughter's friend decided no way was she going to be like that for her own wedding.

She got a personal trainer and got the svelte figure she wanted.

I don't know costs or time span. The point I'm making most of these people are experts and would have you doing the exercises and diet that would have the fastest results and hopefully have you on a more healthy lifestyle. They also give you motivation. That's what they're trained to do.

What does a doctor charge you? €60 for a 10 minute consultation.

I think your decision is determined by your own determination - whether you really want to trim down or not.

Thank you joanmul a positive response. That was my idea of thinking that they are trained to know not only the fastest way to go about it but the correct and healthy way.

I dont mind paying the €50 an hour if that is the going rate i just didn't want to be over paying.

I actually went to the doctor because i put on a fair bit of weight in such a short time, someone said it could be my thyroid but the doctor wouldn't even send me for tests.

I have a lot of determination i just need the help in going the right away about it, cause what i'm doing alone isn't working for me

Thanks

I think your decision is determined by your own determination - whether you really want to trim down or not.

Exactly, but this determination will not come from a personal trainer looking for 50 quid an hour.

I did a couple of years ago - because I needed someone to push me harder than I would ever push myself. I used some of my SSIA for 8 weeks - 3 times a week for an hour.

I do lack discipline - I'm innately lazy - and for me it was money well spent - not just for losing weight and toning up and getting tips on diet, but also realising "my" percieved limits were not really my limits at all, and learning that yes you can indeed run up to the Hell Fire Club :)

And no - I don't exercise/run as much now - but I do get out twice a week - which I didn't do before.

I have been considering this as well as I don't like gyms. My diet is 'fine' but need to get back to 10 1/2 stone (I was 13 stone and at 5 5 enough was enough).

A friend told me she paid €30 a session but you had to use him twice a week for 6 weeks. I said no I'd get a nice pair of shoes for that.

In the last 3 weeks I have upped the walking. I do 3 miles at least 3 times a week which takes 40 - 45 mins - its no time at all. I've done this 4 times this week and might do the prom tomorrow.

I also go out as late as 9pm as my excuse up to now was "oh its too late" and then sit on the sofa. At this late hour there are still pleanty of people out walking and you feel great afterwards.

I've lost 7 pounds in 3 weeks so have every intention of keeping it up.

I still haven't written off the idea completly but am going to give more normal ways of doing it a try first.

I'd ask him if he'd do it for €40 and then try €45 and guarantee him 6 sessions.

well done becky for losing 7lbs

Where abouts is your friend that got the price of €30. If it's in dublin could you pass on his details for me

Thanks

I previously put up a thread last June about a personal trainer.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=84617&highlight=personal+trainer

That was last June, I knew I had to tackle things then, but went from bad to worse, had a bad run of personal problems. Eating (and drinking) habits went to pot. Result was I put on another 1.5 stone when I already needed to lose a stone. So 2.5 stone up. I am usually quite a motivated person, but was all over the place at that time.

Come January decided to tackle the weight, starting with exercise. I said I was going to give the personal trainer a go and I did. Sessions were €50 per session. (or block book 12 for €500) I did 2 sessions a week and although I did not lose much weight initially within those six weeks, I think I only lost about 3 lbs, but I really started to tone up. I stood on the fat machine (dont know if those yokes are correct and I had actually converted a fair few pounds of fat) Also it was only about 3-4 weeks into the exercise that I started to focus on diet. I did a lot of speed and reaction type exercises and also balancing. At the end of the six or seven weeks, I said I was going to have to go it alone, so bought a push bike - I go out most evenings, even if it is not far. Since January now, I have lost just over a stone and hope to lose another stone.

Went hillwalking recently and despite me never having done it before, was able to manage 10k (of uphill) and did not struggle at all and I reckon what I did with the personal trainer (balancing) etc really helped.

For me it worked, it was expensive and I thought long and hard before starting it, but changed my focus, so was worth it. Before people start saying, you have more money than sense, etc, I dont see it that way, it really helped me focus on what I needed to do. Not everyone is able to just motivate themselves to go out walking, running, etc and it does give you that push in the right direction. However, you have to be serious and about it and it is no quick fix. You will only get out of it what you put in.

Hope this helps

What sort of exercises are you doing at the minute? I personally wouldnt pay for a personal trainer, 50 euro would get you at least a months gym membership. At most gym's there'll be trainers there or even your regular gym goers who'd be more than willing to give advice.

Manda C i did read your post before i made my post but it stopped before you actually started with the trainer. Good to here that you decided to do it and that it worked for you. And well done on the weight loss so far keep it up.

weejasy77, at the moment i'm walking and i have a cross trainer at home that i use 4-5 times a week and i walk up and down the stairs as well.

I dont want to join the gym i've done that before and it didn't work for me. The "so called" trainers that were at the gym were very young and always doing something else. And to get a 1 to 1 you'd still have to pay extra for that as well. I'm not going to go up to someone, a total stranger and ask them what i should and shouldn't be doing.

I spoke to the one guy that got back to me and i've decided i'm going to go ahead with him. he was very nice on the phone and let me ask lots of questions. He said i wasn't probably eating enough and thats why i wasn't losing weight, ( makes no sense to me ) If it doesn't work then there's no real harm done.

I have my first appoinment on the 8th April... i'll let you all know how i got on.

Not eating enough could cause problems alright. My suggestions would be to:

Get a good breakfast in the morning as it get your metabolism going thus burning extra calories.

Introduce weights into your training programme... heavy weights as you can lift too. Don't worry about bulking up as it's near impossible for women to build muscle. Your body still burns calories upto 12 hours after a weight training session.

Do high intensity interval training as it too burns more calories... On your cross trainer warm up for 5 minutes then go at 90% for 1 minute, then at 40-50% for 30 seconds... continue this until as long as you can.

Drink loads of water.. this helps flush out the auld system, helps against fluid retention, improves health and quashes your apetite.

Eat every 3 hours.. not eating on a regualr basis sends your body into stavation mode where it starts to store fat.

I hope the personal trainor thing works out for you, but I wouldn't be spending the money on it myself

Back