Have you had enough of the politicans "flapping about" yet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no entitlement to public sector pay restoration.

The whole LUAS debacle highlights the bubble that trade unions live in.

....Those of us in the private sector who suffered pay losses/redundancies/reduced hours should now cough up more tax to restore the salary levels of the PS!! .....

An obvious source of funds for the government to dip into, to pay for the increases to many inefficient departments within the PS, would be private pension funds... sure didn't the previous government do it and get away with it ! Who cares if that means people in the private sector will have even less to rely on in retirement, putting greater dependency on the state pension which itself, is not sufficiently funded for future obligations. But once the PS are okay with their State guaranteed pensions, who cares about the private sector.

How about this for a far better idea ? ....lets put a stop to the money being squandered on things like the most expensive offices in Dublin for the HSE (ref: former Bank of Ireland HQ on Lr. Baggot Street, to be rented at €60 psf !), or massive cost overruns (which stink of gross negligence or potential brown envelope jobs) on just about every contract entered into by the State (ref: new houses being built in Ballymun for the homeless, which were originally to cost circa €100k per unit, but are now totally different and cost €243k per unit), or the fiasco in Clontarf where the council engaged a contractor to replace approx. 1km of footpath on the opposite side of the road from the infamous seawall, despite the fact that it didn’t need replacing and has not changed in height or width since it was replaced, or dare I mention it, the 178 TDs we elected to run the country, who have spent more than 45 days "flapping about" and achieving nothing, while we pay them... the list goes on.

Hopefully my final comment referencing the TDs being paid to flap about will get us back to the original point of this thread :)

So, we will now have a partnership government. In essence the entire Dail will be one big committee.
It's social partnership for politicians and going by the unmitigated disaster the last version of social partnership was, when the Unions and other vested interest groups ran the country, I'm not overly optimistic for the future.

Is it time to think about having a minimum party size for the elections and ban independents - if they are like minded, let them form a party? How many times have independents used their position to force a party's hand in getting elected? We would have a government now were it not for independents...

Firefly,
I can,t see that a government would be now formed were it not for independants, unless SF come in from the cold?
Independants might force new politics onto FG/FF/SF, otherwise we again get a mixture of these 3 parties ie whats new/reforming about them ?

In other countries candidates must fun for a party and parties must fun candidates in a minimum of three constituencies.

It would be very easy for Independents to club together to form a nominal party. I think you should look at the reasons why so many people are voting Independent.
I have no confidence if I didn't have an Independent in my constituency that central government wouldn't screw it over.

Is it time to think about having a minimum party size for the elections and ban independents - if they are like minded, let them form a party? How many times have independents used their position to force a party's hand in getting elected? We would have a government now were it not for independents...

. . . and Fine Gael, Fianna Fáil, Labour would just love that . . .But, we have a democracy and the people have spoken. Members of FF, FG, Lab, SF, etc Get over it! If any FF,FG, Lab, SF member cannot come to terms why we have Independent TD's then look into the recent past where we had one party nearly ruining the country while the others just watched and let them do it.

. . . then look into the recent past where we had one party nearly ruining the country while the others just watched and let them do it.

Same situation about to unfold again, FG will be running the show just like last term, without even a change of leader to be Taoiseach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back