Have the Banks gone past the point of no return

roker

Years ago the banks started computerising their systems with the object of saving money.
They reduced the amount of cashier windows in their branches and made us all use online banking printing our own documents and doing all the things the bank staff used to do.
They did not count on the fact that hackers a scammers were getting more sophisticated, and had to refund customers for scams and update their IT system. The BOI has just informed customers that security is being up dated with yet more complication to use their system
They have gone beyond the point of no return, they cannot let the hacker win.
Also if a person uses more than one bank, the online software and security to enter the account is different for each bank which it takes time to familiarise navigate and carry out a task

Also if a person uses more than one bank, the online software and security to enter the account is different for each bank which it takes time to familiarise navigate and carry out a task
if they all used the same security system surely it would be a bonanza for hackers , they would just have to figure a way around that system. Its very easy to be kicking the banks because of cumbersome IT systems but you have to remember that banks have been around for a long time they have been computerised to some extent since the 1970s so it is genuinely complicated. The Y2K was a serious issue back in 2000 and there would have been a huge problem if it had not been dealt with properly back then.
Of course it would have been much easier for the banks if they never computerised in the 70s, never adopted ATM machines in the 80s and stuck with paper systems up to maybe 2010 and then jumped straight into internet banking with no legacy issues.

Last edited:
They reduced the amount of cashier windows in their branches and made us all use online banking printing our own documents and doing all the things the bank staff used to do.

Are you willing to pay the extra costs involved in operating such a network?

They did not count on the fact that hackers a scammers were getting more sophisticated, and had to refund customers for scams and update their IT system. The BOI has just informed customers that security is being up dated with yet more complication to use their system
They have gone beyond the point of no return, they cannot let the hacker win.

Of course we count on the hackers getting more sophisticated, it's very obvious to us all.... and why would we let the hacker win, do you want us to let hacker have your cash and personal details????

So you prefer that once a hacker manages to break into one of your accounts, they should be able to access them all?????

A very strange post, first time I've heard someone compiling that we're not make it easy enough for the hacker.

Are you willing to pay the extra costs involved in operating such a network?

Of course we count on the hackers getting more sophisticated, it's very obvious to us all.... and why would we let the hacker win, do you want us to let hacker have your cash and personal details????

So you prefer that once a hacker manages to break into one of your accounts, they should be able to access them all?????

A very strange post, first time I've heard someone compiling that we're not make it easy enough for the hacker.
if we had not gone down the road of online banking, there would be no hackers

Online banking enables and facilitates eCommerce. You cannot have one without the other.

So you think there was no fraud (hackers) before online banking? Why don't you look up Frank Abagnale and how much fun he had defrauding cashier and paper systems.

The simple fact is the weakest link in most security systems is the human element, even the recent fraud that hit BOI customers shows that. While it was admittedly very sophisticated, if customers followed the ongoing and continuous guidance of the bank and didn't share their full log-in details the fraudsters would not have been able to access their accounts.

That's not to say the technology can't be exploited or hacked, but that is usually much harder and more time consuming to do (in spite of how movies and tv shows depict it).

I hardly think the banks should be blamed for the existence of criminals or that we should let the risks posed by them stop society in general from progressing.

Better yet, the sure way to get shot of all hackers - is close your account and get off the internet. At this stage you are on your own

Yes I think so. My online banking is now so complicated to log in to I rarely use it. I’m 29 and I work for a tech company, can’t imagine trying to show an older person how to use it.

No matter what system is in place you'll find those able to circumvent it. Technology helps scammers. But, you've got to have that crooked thinking first. Before mass computerisation there were intelligent con men working wherever there was money coming over the counter.

Stories of public/civil servants, bank officials/managers taking the wrong side of the law for greed abounded. Usually, those caught got away with being just fired but some cases got to court.

Yes I think so. My online banking is now so complicated to log in to I rarely use it. I’m 29 and I work for a tech company, can’t imagine trying to show an older person how to use it.
Which bank are you with out of curiosity?

I am with 3 separate banks (one is UK) and 77 yrs old, all different ways of getting in and once in different to navigate

My 92 year old mother-in-law does all her banking on line, I don’t think she has been in a bank in years. And with recent events she is now into scanning her stuff at the self service in the super market and using contactless payment. My daughter took her shopping the first couple of times until she got the hang of it.

I am with 3 separate banks (one is UK) and 77 yrs old, all different ways of getting in and once in different to navigate
I'd be worried about that bank that is only 77 yrs old, that means it wasn't around for the great depression. I want a bank that has a proven record and survived the great depression.

another facility being taken away, the machine that print out the mini statement at BOI are being discontinued,
I use this to check my recent transaction save going on line each time.
why can they not do the same as PTSB and combine the 2 machines, statements and cash together?

another facility being taken away, the machine that print out the mini statement at BOI are being discontinued,
I use this to check my recent transaction save going on line each time.
why can they not do the same as PTSB and combine the 2 machines, statements and cash together?
How is it faster to go to a bank and print out a mini statement rather than look online?
Is the problem that you find it difficult to fill your day? ;)

How is it faster to go to a bank and print out a mini statement rather than look online?
Is the problem that you find it difficult to fill your day? ;)
I pass it every day and it's much safer than going online.
Sometime it takes 1/2 hr plus to boot my computer either my virus system has to update or Windows has to update

I pass it every day and it's much safer than going online
How is it much safer than going online?
Your Bank stores all your records digitally anyway so they can still be hacked.

Your phone is in your pocket and you can access it while taking a dump, just like everyone else (except me of course, I'd never do such a thing).

Back