Have the Banks gone past the point of no return

Are you willing to pay the extra costs involved in operating such a network?

Of course we count on the hackers getting more sophisticated, it's very obvious to us all.... and why would we let the hacker win, do you want us to let hacker have your cash and personal details????

So you prefer that once a hacker manages to break into one of your accounts, they should be able to access them all?????

A very strange post, first time I've heard someone compiling that we're not make it easy enough for the hacker.
having the same software in different banks does not help the hackers because they will all have different password and memorial data

If the only time you turn on your computer is once a month then of course you will have windows and virus definition updates, this is a good thing it removes known vulnerabilities from your system to make it safer for you to go online. They don't happen everyday and if you use your mobile generally install overnight when you aren't using your phone.

You mentioned earlier that you think all banks should have the exact same system and exact same user experience. I for 1 am glad that they don't, if they did it would be much easier for hackers to hack and create convincing duplicates. Also when those kind of thing are enforced instead of innovation and progress we get help back to the level of the slowest, least innovative worst system.

Let's be very clear there is a difference between hackers and scammers
  • Hackers find an issue in the system and use that to gain access to you account, this might be out of date virus definitions that allow malware etc to corrupt the system. It could be an operating system vulnerability, it could be a data connection vulnerability or servers not being encrypted as examples. Organisations spend millions in ensuring the have implemented the best processes and design the software to minimise risk. They aren't perfect and mistakes get made which is what gives the hackers opportunity.
  • Scammers uses various techniques to gain access to the information that is provided to you for use in legitimate access. Phishing which is what was used by the scammers in the BOI breach, there is nothing beyond education that any organisation can do to prevent this as the account holders gave their details away.
Both exist regardless of the systems and processes that are being used, so stopping the used of technology doesn't actually reduce risk. In fact technology helps reduce the risk.

There's a lot if negative contents, once past the log process there is no reason why the systems cannot be to some extent standardised after logging in for looking up statement etc.
in fact the BOi system is no where near as secure logging in as my UK TSB system.
Remember when BOI system was shutdown for weeks, they are updating their system again in a couple of weeks, for me more complications on how to use the 3 banking system that I use

I work in IT designing critical global infrastructure.

There is every reason why Irish banks should not all use the same systems. Diverse sourcing and implementation improves security and reliability.

On another note, all my Windows computers boot in seconds - maybe 30 seconds if a full reboot applying an update.

If you don't have an SSD in yours, you should look into getting one.

I work in IT designing critical global infrastructure.

There is every reason why Irish banks should not all use the same systems. Diverse sourcing and implementation improves security and reliability.
we would be in a chaotic situation if Microsoft took that approach, in fact they managed to standardise most of the world's computers, so when you were trained on Windows you could go anywhere.
to clarify, my computer normally boots Ok but I do not use it every day and a lot of the time the antivirus and Windows update which takes about half hour

Back