Have speeds gone up for all ISP esp Utv

Re: UTV Clicksilver download speed 128Kbps not 256Kbps

ClubMan said:
Sometime last year UTV (along with other ISPs reselling eircom's wholesale DSL packages) upped their speeds from 512Kbps download/128Kbps upload to 1Mbps download/256Kbps upload. I benefited automatically from the increased download speed but my upload speed seems to be still stuck at around 128Kbps. Is there something that I need to do (e.g. DSL modem/router reconfiguration?) to avail of the increased upload speed?

last year, the upload remained at 128 Kbs. (download went to 1Mb)
This year your download went to 2 Mb, and your upload to 256 Kbs. (for the same price)
What is your current speed? I believe there are certain smaller (subtended) exchanges where customers will remain on their current speeds, but will have a prioce reduction (they are being moved to the a lower oackage)

jd

Using the Blacknight speed tester I'm getting in or around 1Mbps download and 128Kbps upload (allowing for overhead - i.e. the actual throughput us lower than these figures). I am (well - the job is) still paying €29.99 p.m. so no reduction in price.

On a related issue ... I'm coming to the end of the 12 month contract in a couple of months and was thinking of switching to Smart if they are up and running in my area - unfortunately cable broadband is not available and I don't want an wireless antenna on my roof so I'm stuck with DSL for now.... I'm on single billing with UTV (i.e. line rental plus UTV Free phone service plus Clicksilver broadband). Is it much hassle to transfer over from one line rental/phone/broadband provider to another without much hassle (e.g. without getting disconnected and having to have the line reconnected!?). Smart state that a new phone number may be required - does this happen often in practice?

Sorry - missed that related thread so I've merged this in with it now.

ClubMan said:
Using the Blacknight speed tester I'm getting in or around 1Mbps download and 128Kbps upload (allowing for overhead - i.e. the actual throughput us lower than these figures). I am (well - the job is) still paying €29.99 p.m. so no reduction in price.

What is your line synching at? Can you look at the router config page?

If you are on the old speed, speeds only changed a few days ago, so you would not yet have a change of price on your bill..

OK - I need to double check the speed again. I didn't realise that the change occurred so recently so maybe it has taken effect and I hadn't noticed. However I was sure that they upgrade to 1Mbps down/256Kbps last year and while I saw the download speed increase the upload speed stayed around 128Kbps. Anyway I will check the speeds and router sync details later and post back.

I will keep an eye on the bill too to see what's happening on that front. Do you know what I should expect instead of €29.99 p.m.?

Thanks for the feedback.

BTW - because my UTV contract comes to an end soon I was shopping around and was considering Smart (which they have confirmed is available on the Crown Alley exchange - €35 p.m. for line rental plus broadband but no free off-peak calls) but it seems that you need to switch back to eircom first and then on to Smart (Smart say that eircom force them/customers to do it this way) and then you have to get a new number from Smart which is all a bit of hassle. :(

OK - rechecked the home connection and it is indicating speeds of the order of 2Mbps down/256Kbps up. Thanks for the feedback!

Probably the best test for download speed is something from the ftp server on heanet
say
ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/iso/yarrow-i386-disc1.iso
I get about 195 KB/s download on the 2meg/256 package
jdwex

I have an ethenet connection, shows 100 MpS which is obviously what the spped is between the PC & the modem - any ideas how to diaplay the actual downlaod speed from ISP to modem? USB shows 2 Mbps when connected, for what was a 1 Mps connection (signed uop for 1 meg), so happy enough. Downloads in the order of 180 - 1905 KB /s

Why not just use one of the bandwidth testers mentioned above to check the end to end speed? Or check the logs of your modem/router to check what speed it is connecting at to your ISP?

Back