Have loan in my own right, bank have informed my husband, Breach of Confidentiality

Re: Breach of Confidentiality

I have my own current account and applied for the loan based on my own income and assets, nothing was used as security for the loan

On this basis I can't see how the bank has any right to tell your husband about the term loan - the contract is between the signatories to the loan agreement ie you and them.

Re: Have loan in my own right, bank have informed my husband, Breach of Confidentiali

if the husband asks for the joint file under the Data Protection Act, should the bank have removed any cross reference?

This is an important point. If the loan is referenced on the joint account file - as part of the general information given to the bank when opening the account or added since then or if the OPs loan application, overdraft etc. involved legitimately placing details on the joint account, then legally speaking, the husband knows (even if he doesnt actually know) and the bank is perfectly reasonable in raising it with him.

I would find it hard to believe that an application for an overdraft on a joint account would not be accompanied by information on loans taken out by either party, whether jointly or individually. I would also doubt that a bank would approve an overdraft without this information included in the application and they cant claim ignorance as the OPs loan is also theirs.

Re: Have loan in my own right, bank have informed my husband, Breach of Confidentiali

Consider it from the point of view if they weren't married, were business partners etc.

Also from reading the posts, the OP had no marital or financial problems prior to the disclosure by the bank of her private financial arrangements to her husband.
Both the overdraft and the loan were being separately addressed by the couple and in three years would have been history.

OT but to say there were no marital problems because she was hiding a 15k debt for 2 years doesn't make sense. Surely if all was well there would be no need to hise such a sum and the OP has said that she should not have hidden the debt. (+the reason for the debt could also be a real factor). Anyway back to the topic..

Even if you have a deposit account in a bank and an overdraft and where there is no right of "set off" a bank cannot transfer funds from the deposit account to the overdraft without your permission.
The bank had no right to disclose your loan details to your husband. I would go for them two guns blazing.
I am a former banker.

I don't think it's right that a bank can disclose your personal financial details to anyone even if they are your spouse.

I totally agree here. If you took out the loan in your name using your personal account details then why are they disclosing details about it to him.(even if he should have known about it tbh).
my bank will not let my husband or i do anything in relation to our joint account without the others say so. i just dont understand if all the details were in YOUR name why those details were given to your husband!even my phone company will not speak to my husband about our joint mobile phone bill without my consent first!!

Same here, i would get a solicitor. Issues in the marriage aside, it was a total breach or privacy.

OT but to say there were no marital problems because she was hiding a 15k debt for 2 years doesn't make sense. Surely if all was well there would be no need to hise such a sum and the OP has said that she should not have hidden the debt. (+the reason for the debt could also be a real factor). Anyway back to the topic..

This is ridiculous, if she says there were no martial difficulties then that's good enough, the loan could have been for anything, it's not for us to judge martial issues. Her personal business is her own, the only concern here is that the bank didn't take her husband into account when giving her money but now that they want money back they are lumping her and husband together and they have breached her right to confidentiality. Brendan made a point earlier that hounding of the banks leads to increased security questions etc - well I think if it's a choice between confidentiality and having to go through a bit more to get access to your account information, people would be prepared to accept the latter, I certainly would! - they can ask me all the questions they like, once my information is kept private.

This is ridiculous, if she says there were no martial difficulties then that's good enough, the loan could have been for anything, it's not for us to judge martial issues. Her personal business is her own, the only concern here is that the bank didn't take her husband into account when giving her money but now that they want money back they are lumping her and husband together and they have breached her right to confidentiality. Brendan made a point earlier that hounding of the banks leads to increased security questions etc - well I think if it's a choice between confidentiality and having to go through a bit more to get access to your account information, people would be prepared to accept the latter, I certainly would! - they can ask me all the questions they like, once my information is kept private.
She said there were no problems and she was also hiding a substantial debt. My opinion is that a marriage that doesn't allow some degree of transparency does have some difficulties.

Have you asked the bank yet?

You appear to have snipped the attribution to me when you edited the original post as quotation.

People keep secrets from other people all the time, often for good reason.
This thread is about a possible breach of confidentiality by a bank.
This thread isn't about whether the OP had/has marital problems.

onq

Married people are delusional if they think they got loans in their own names and the earnings/assets/liabilities as a couple are not taken into account. If you are going to hide a loan from your spouse the very least you should do is go to a different bank.

It is downright dishonest not to tell a spouse about your loans and liabilities particularly where this can result in the other person also having the liabilities, but that is a very personal opinion and other people would believe that assets etc brought to the marriage are no business of the spouse.

But my understanding was that the larger loan was being dealt with and paid off as per the schedule. So no problem there. So why did the bank even need to mention it.

She said there were no problems and she was also hiding a substantial debt. My opinion is that a marriage that doesn't allow some degree of transparency does have some difficulties.

Different rules apply for different couples - honesty is not always the best policy so don't judge someones marriage based on what you would do!. Point is this is about a breach of privacy not a moral judgment on why subject hid a debt!

You appear to have snipped the attribution to me when you edited the original post as quotation.

People keep secrets from other people all the time, often for good reason.
This thread is about a possible breach of confidentiality by a bank.
This thread isn't about whether the OP had/has marital problems.

onq

My post was directed at the line of thinking that there were no difficulties in the marriage until the banks disclosure, I simply feel that just because one party is being lied to and therefore in the dark does not mean there are no problems.

Different rules apply for different couples - honesty is not always the best policy so don't judge someones marriage based on what you would do!. Point is this is about a breach of privacy not a moral judgment on why subject hid a debt!

I'm not judging a marriage but its a fine line to suggest that it should be accepted as normal or ok to indulge massive debt that could effect both people and not make the partner aware of it. If the Husband did like wise they would be servicing debt of 30k without both parties knowing it, anyway its the least of her problems now.

Back