Has Personal Online "Banking" Ever Been Surveyed ?

CCOVICH said:
For what it's worth, I've used AIB, BoI and Ulster Bank internet banking. It's been a while since I used BoI, because I closed my account over four years ago.

The bad (or good?) thing about Ulster Bank, is that it is hard to use online banking on two different PCs, without getting a new 'shared secret' (don't ask). It is possible to copy the relevant security certificate onto another PC, but I have not been able to do this successfully.

CCOVICH, have to say I have over the last 12 months started using Ulster Bank - retarded is the word that comes to mind. Apart from all the silly passphrases and the one PC / passowrd issue I now find that if I want to move cash from one account to another I have to apply for that facility!!!!
On one of my many calls recently I was asked "have you got an IT department there?" - as it turns out I work for a very large software company but I found this question unbelievable..... is this now a requirement for online banking????? My bank manager is excellet, otherwise I would be walking - compared to BOI and PTSB who is still use UB must be the worst case scenario.

Roy

I use PTSB's Open24 online banking quite a bit to check my current and VISA accounts, transfer money from the former to the latter (takes a few days unfortunately) and make bill payments (which need to be set up manually over the phone first) and have rarely had problems with it. As mentioned elsewhere they did prevent FireFox users from using the site at the start of the year but, to be fair to them, responded quickly to complaints from me (and others I presume) and rectified the problem even if they still recommend IE "for security reasons". Hmmm... I have always found the phone banking service that operates in tandem with the online service (e.g. you call them to set up bill payments etc.) efficient and helpful. Overall I am happy enough with it but I have never used other online banking service so I don't have anything else to compare it with and could be missing something that another service offers...

My apologies, on reading back it was not perhaps clear...... I am more than happy with the service provided by PSTB and BOI. In comparison the UB solution is retarded.

I VERY VERY much doubt if any senior manager (with access to more than one PC) has used their online solution for their own banking.

Roy

onekeano said:
My apologies, on reading back it was not perhaps clear...... I am more than happy with the service provided by PSTB and BOI. In comparison the UB solution is retarded.

I VERY VERY much doubt if any senior manager (with access to more than one PC) has used their online solution for their own banking.

Roy
I'd agree. It's effectively useless if you're travelling or try to use it from behind a firewall. Apparently they're redeveloping it as a HTML based application rather than an applet but we're stuck with it for the time being...

ClubMan said:
Thanks - I have never been able to view transaction details on my general and SSIA Summit Fund investments. I think I queried this with them before but can't remember the outcome. I'll chase it up with them again when I get a chance.
Seems like it's not possible alright:
Dear Mr ClubMan,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately our site cannot show the tranactions on these types of account. This is due to the complexity of them, as the payment can be going into different funds. I have passed your request onto our IT department who would look after any site upgrading.

Please do not hesitate to contact us by phone on 1850 654321 or by e-mail at [email protected], if you have any further queries or requests.

With Kind Regards,

... ...

EBS Internet Support

A shame,

Funny they don't show transactions on the cash savings accounts, for SSIA's either ... I'd have thought those transactions were no different than any other savings account, seems a bit odd imho (but I guess they have just decided not to show any, rather than restrict it to cash SSIAs) ?

One thing I like about the EBS system, is it appears to transfer funds between your EBS accounts in real time, no 2-3 day delays. Sadly, from speaking with someone in the EBS the other day, this would not be the case for their EBS/MBNA Credit Card however ... a shame.

Cheers

G>

Garrettod said:
Funny they don't show transactions on the cash savings accounts, for SSIA's either ... I'd have thought those transactions were no different than any other savings account, seems a bit odd imho (but I guess they have just decided not to show any, rather than restrict it to cash SSIAs) ?
Yeah - I have a few bob in the cash SSIA just to secure my membership and the rest in equities but all I see is the bottom line balance.

ClubMan said:
Yeah - I have a few bob in the cash SSIA just to secure my membership ....

Did they confirm this will give you qualification as a member ? ... interesting, good infact given its a far better return than their share account, while granting membership :)

One thing for sure, if EBS want to shorten their queues & encourage members to use them more, they need to be offering more services (in terms of product range, which they appear to be working on ... and internet banking, longer phone banking hours etc)

Cheers

G>
http://www.rpoints.com/newbie

Garrettod said:
Did they confirm this will give you qualification as a member ? ... interesting, good infact given its a far better return than their share account, while granting membership :)
Oddly enough - initially they said it would so I transferred the money, then they said it didn't, then they said it did and then I received the notice of the last AGM having not received these for several years since I ceased to be a mortgage customer of theirs. One way or another I am now a member. I think that there may have been some confusion about whether or not I had transferred money into the Summit cash fund as opposed into the EBS Summit deposit SSIA account. I had explicitly requested the latter and it seems to have caused me to become a member again. I contacted EBS expressing my disquiet about the lack of clarify about my membership and requirements for qualification (along with some other comments about mutuality and how they might deliver better value to members) and they passed them onto the relevant department.

RainyDay said:
I've found NIB's online service to be excellent. No need to phone the call centre to add new payee's - you can pay to any account once you provide a sort code, account number & reference. You can set up recurring payments, so you can effectively manage your own standing orders.

Agree about NIB. Find them very good.

I worked a few years ago at one of the other online banks during online start-up (won't mention the name!) and suffice it to say, after the experience, I switched banks! :eek:

Meant to add to above...this is a good topic and a survey about online banking seems like a good idea. Is it possible to add a poll to posts here to do a survey?

Back