Has John O' Donoghue resigned yet

when he goes the good thing is he will take quite a few with him and that should be the start in saving a good few bob.

Of course he will get a lucrative pension so will have loads of time for the races.

A great man.

To take a flight to Kerry and have the car go as well takes the biscuit in a very big way.

noah

From RTE
[broken link removed]

Looks like its official - he will resign as CC next week (still a TD though).
One down, quite a few to go.

No doubt will get a hero's welcome down home:rolleyes:

Of course, nothing to do with the possibility of a general election being called at the weekend. :rolleyes:

A month? FF had to look up how to do political resignations, its not something they are used to!

Oh dear, hope he can still afford to pay the bill for all the floodlights that light up his house every night in the hills of south kerry as he looks down on everyone else

Contrast the behaviour of this arrogant, pompous gombeen with that of Ian Clement, former advisor to Boris Johnston - he was recently prosecuted, yes, prosecuted for misuse of expenses. He used the corporate CC to pay for lunch for him and his girlfriend on 3 occasions to the total of £156.

Received a 12 month suspended sentence.

Contrast the behaviour of this arrogant, pompous gombeen with that of Ian Clement, former advisor to Boris Johnston - he was recently prosecuted, yes, prosecuted for misuse of expenses. He used the corporate CC to pay for lunch for him and his girlfriend on 3 occasions to the total of £156.

Received a 12 month suspended sentence.

Jebus !:eek:

On that basis, J O'D should expect to be hung, drawn and quartered by Hallowe'en !

He must be hard up for money if he had to claim back a £1 charity donation........
http://www.independent.ie/national-...aimed-pound1-donation-to-charity-1905969.html

Ciaran Cuffe mentioned on Morning Ireland that Brian Cowen had asked John Gormley to back JOD but it was not a runner for the green party leader. When he was pressed on this issue by the interviewer he seemed to back track a bit saying he was not sure exactly what was said between the two leaders.
It sounded to me that Cowen wanted to stick by John O Donohoe if at all possible.

I'll give 3:1 odds that he'll get re-elected next time, just like Lowery in Tipp.
The problem is the electorate; the politicians are just a symptom.

I'll give 3:1 odds that he'll get re-elected next time, just like Lowery in Tipp.

The suggestion on the radio this morning was that as he is not resigning until next week there is an outside chance he will be automatically re-elected if the greens pull out of government this weekend.
I think it is an unlikely scenerio myself, but what is funny is that Labour who initially called for his resignation are happy enough to wait until next week, yet Fine Gael who have kept quiet on the whole resignation issue now want him to go immediately. As if they want to show some urgencey on the issue now.

Ah here now, Michael Lowery does good work in Tipp North. Or at least gives the impression that he does! ;)

Certainly a lot more then our FG backbencher and we had a FF junior minister but she isn't a junior minister anymore

And if you had an effective TD for your area you might well vote for them too. For a lot of people who can get something for their constituency is the most important part of voting for something.
Tipperary North certainly isn't alone in this.

As you say, voters get the politicans they deserve

My bet is that he won't run at the next election. As was mentioned on Vincent Brown last night, he would earn more on his ministerial pension than as a TD following the next election when he won't be able to collect both anymore. He doesn't currently collect a ministerial pension but if he was to go to the backbenches during this administration he would but only for the term of this administration.

For a lot of people who can get something for their constituency is the most important part of voting for something.

As minister for Arts, Tourism, Sports & Expenses, O'Donoghue looked after Kerry very well indeed.
Just like McDaid looked after Donegal and Charlie looked after the horses in Kildare.
All politics is local. Any one who ever drove the roads of P Flynn country in Mayo will tell you that.

The manner of his going doth become him.....

He's decided to chance his arm on the Government collapsing at the weekend to give him a way out, i'm only surprised he didn't try and brazen it out until after the Budget.

While at the beginning of all this, himself and Conor Lenihan were busy blaming civil servants for booking the hotels and flights, no civil servant forced him to spend extravagant funds in VIP lounges, no civil servant forced him to tip his driver €500 which was then claimed back and no civil servant forced him to claim a euro back from Unicef.

The fact that he was allowed by all the parties to employ a political advisor and quadruple the staff of his office which had been sufficient for years shows his imperial ambitions, a thundering disgrace!

While at the beginning of all this, himself and Conor Lenihan were busy blaming civil servants for booking the hotels and flights, no civil servant forced him to spend extravagant funds in VIP lounges, no civil servant forced him to tip his driver €500 which was then claimed back and no civil servant forced him to claim a euro back from Unicef.

Was there not a former Labour leader who stayed at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel when staying in New York as Foreign Minister, instead of staying in the then Irish-owned Fitzpatrick Hotel?

The Labour party are being hypocritical on this one.

What statements did Joan Burton or Eamonn Gilmore issue about the Waldorf Astoria?

Was there not a former Labour leader who stayed at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel when staying in New York as Foreign Minister, instead of staying in the then Irish-owned Fitzpatrick Hotel?

It's owned by an Irish person which is not quite the same thing. It's not as though the profits are re-patriated to benefit society here and that it's in the national interest to support it.

BTW, went into Fitzpatricks for a look when I was in New York two years ago. It was wall-to-wall blarney. If I was Spring I'd have gone elsewhere too although opting for the Waldorf when someone else is paying is just taking the mick.

Spring, I heard, used to send the driver down to the airport in Kerry and then fly down in the evening. I have no problem with that as he was (an excellent) minister for foreign affairs and Tánaiste at the time and his time was important.

The Labour party are being hypocritical on this one.

What statements did Joan Burton or Eamonn Gilmore issue about the Waldorf Astoria?

i'm struggling to figure out why you quoted me then went on a ramble about Labour leaders?

Back