Has John O' Donoghue resigned yet

If not, what is keeping him from resigning? Surely his neck is not that thick that he doesn't realise he has to resign after squandering so much of our income tax money.

Why should we pay from him to act like royalty.
I know someone else with a thick neck. She once used an Air Corps chopper to go out west to open an off licence as a favour for a friend:mad:

Minister responsible for the Drumm who coincidently didnt take any voluntary reduction in his overbloated salary????

The laugh is that the Ceann Comhairle is chairman of the House of the Oireachtas Commission which oversees the review of expenses.

One person did resign of course, the only honourable one the accountant. John O' Donoghue epitomises all that is wrong with the way Ireland is run. Meanwhile they will have been slapping his back down at Listowel yesterday, and voting him in the next time he faces an election. The Irish like the rogues. Plus ca change....

One person did resign of course, the only honourable one the accountant. John O' Donoghue epitomises all that is wrong with the way Ireland is run. Meanwhile they will have been slapping his back down at Listowel yesterday, and voting him in the next time he faces an election. The Irish like the rogues. Plus ca change....

unfortunately the Ceann Comhairle gets automatically re-elected!

Might have something to do with how O'Donoghue bought their love. Look at how much they benefited from his time as minister

Just saw the front page of Herald AM and there he is. At the Listowel Races. Suited and booted with matching bandage on index finger. Now if he were Ronnie Barker (Open All Hours) one might give an educated guess that his finger got stuck in the till. The old joke about the sick barman being caught with his fingers in the till - he thought the change would do him good - springs to mind. [Any resemblance to living beings (human or otherwise) is purely coincidental].

There’s far more to it with O’Donoghue; he used his position as a government minister to have extravagant paid holidays for himself and his wife. Just look at the number of events and race meetings he was “invited” to around Europe. He was the bane of embassy staff throughout his tenure as minister.
IMO he’s a buffoon, a bully and the quintessential parish-pump politician.

Last edited:
There’s far more to it with O’Donoghue; he used his position as a government minister to have extravagant paid holidays for himself and his wife. Just look at the number of events and race meetings he was “invited” to around Europe. He was the bane of embassy staff throughout his tenure as minister.
He’s a buffoon, a bully and the quintessential parish-pump politician.

Well said.

The fact that not one member of the opposition has come out and openly asked for his resignation says it all about the standard of Irish politics.

Well said.

The fact that not one member of the opposition has come out and openly asked for his resignation says it all about the standard of Irish politics.

Agreed. Richard Bruton was on the radio this morning and basically said all JOD had to do was say sorry and we could move on.

Well said.

Well people in glasshouses and all that.

They're all probably as guilty of it as him, that's why they don't want to rock the boat.
Any decent investigation by the C&AG would probably result in the lot of them being forced to resign.....hhmmm, now there's a point !

I was on a business trip recently with a colleague. For expenses I had to list and produce receipts for everything, right down to the convertor plug for my laptop costing €4.50.
On the way back we each got a taxi back from the airport. We were asked why we didn't share.

With every business and every person looking very closely at their finances, the only people who are exempt from this are TDs. Revenue do not accept unvouched expences.

There is one standard (a term I'd use loosely) for TDs and then there is everyone else.

I find it galling when I hear cliches about shoulders to the wheel, sharing the pain etc when not one of them will adhere to the basic practice of listing their expenses.

In business, what gets measured, gets done.

On the way back we each got a taxi back from the airport. We were asked why we didn't share.
If you were in the public sector, you'd be sharing with the great unwashed. You'd only be reimbursed for the cost of public transport, i.e. the 747 bus into town.

With every business and every person looking very closely at their finances, the only people who are exempt from this are TDs. Revenue do not accept unvouched expences.

There is one standard (a term I'd use loosely) for TDs and then there is everyone else.

I find it galling when I hear cliches about shoulders to the wheel, sharing the pain etc when not one of them will adhere to the basic practice of listing their expenses.

In business, what gets measured, gets done.

Many private business will have fixed-price unvouched expenses for reps or other staff who are continuously on the road. There is nothing unusual about having somebody on a fixed, unvouched allowance for lunch or dinner or overnight. Revenue have no problem with this unvouched approach, up to Civil Service limits - see http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/paye/guide/employers-guide-paye-expenses.html#section5

If you were in the public sector, you'd be sharing with the great unwashed. You'd only be reimbursed for the cost of public transport, i.e. the 747 bus into town.

And what is wrong with that? I do not believe the no civil servant uses a taxi ever, I'm sure there is a rule that creates a reason for exceptions? I wonder what the annual civil service bill is for taxis?

And what is wrong with that? I do not believe the no civil servant uses a taxi ever, I'm sure there is a rule that creates a reason for exceptions? I wonder what the annual civil service bill is for taxis?

I never suggested there was anything wrong with it. I was merely playing a bit of Monty Python 'luxury' game, whereby D8Lady seemed to think that the idea of sharing a taxi would be difficult, whereas in fact it is quite luxurious.

FYI, the rule (in my organisation) states that taxis can only be used where no public transport is available. This is fairly short-sighted, as in many cases, the cost of the individual's time exceeds the saving on the taxi fare, but there you go.

Several public bodies (including Dept Finance) have cancelled their corporate taxi accounts. If staff need a taxi, they need to cough up for the fee themselves, and claim it back on expenses.

You are contradicting yourself, first you say public servants have to use public transport and then you mention corporate taxi accounts for public bodies? And that old chestnut, when public transport is not available you can use a taxi. Rules are great aren't they. Still no figure from anyone on how much the public service spend on taxis? Naturally it will be a pittance, an inconsequential figure that we the public won't be told about.

You are contradicting yourself, first you say public servants have to use public transport and then you mention corporate taxi accounts for public bodies?
Perhaps you might like to go back and read what I actually said, rather that putting your words in my mount. I did not say that 'public servants have to use public transport'. Check it out.

And that old chestnut, when public transport is not available you can use a taxi. Rules are great aren't they.

Perhaps you can suggest an alternative approach? How would you suggest that I travel to the airport at 5am for a 7am flight, given that I'm about 45 minutes walk away from the Aircoach. Or how would you suggest that I travel to a conference at a Dublin hotel with 4 boxes of materials and 2 pop-up stands - try bringing that on Dublin Bus? The policy is sensible, and is applied in a sensible manner by staff.

Still no figure from anyone on how much the public service spend on taxis? Naturally it will be a pittance, an inconsequential figure that we the public won't be told about.
There is no conspiracy. Taxi figures from several public bodies have been widely reported on (HSE & RTE spring to mind). If you want the others, go digging through the annual reports, or submit FOI requests or parlimentary questions. All the info is available. Meanwhile, as you focus on this minor issue, our country is being bankrupted by bankers and property developers.

Perhaps you can suggest an alternative approach? How would you suggest that I travel to the airport at 5am for a 7am flight, given that I'm about 45 minutes walk away from the Aircoach. Or how would you suggest that I travel to a conference at a Dublin hotel with 4 boxes of materials and 2 pop-up stands.

What happened to your car, get rid of it?

Back