Hands up if you have 'the flu'

Don't forget the crowd who say "I have a bad cold, better not go to work in case I spread my cold to others through the air conditioning system". There is no scientific evidence to suggest that germs can be spread by air con systems. Just because it's in Cosmopolitan magazine or the Sunday Worst doesn't make it scientific evidence.

..and you can just take your hands back down again 90% of you. :mad:

God this annoys me.

"I missed work last Friday - ah I had a touch of the flu"

For a start, you didn't have "a touch of" anything - you either had it or you didn't. But mainly, YOU DID NOT HAVE THE FLU - YOU HAD A COLD!!

If you had the flu you would know all about it.
+1. That 'touch of flu' drives me mad....anyone who has ever had flu knows as OP has said 'if you had the flu you would know all about it'!

Don't forget the crowd who say "I have a bad cold, better not go to work in case I spread my cold to others through the air conditioning system". There is no scientific evidence to suggest that germs can be spread by air con systems. Just because it's in Cosmopolitan magazine or the Sunday Worst doesn't make it scientific evidence.

we found the sick building symptoms to be present in a group of French office workers exposed to air-conditioning.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9749975

Dr. Dan Teculescu of the European Respiratory Society led a study in 1997 of 770 office staff in both air conditioned and naturally cooled buildings. He found that those in air-conditioned work environments were 2.5 times more likely to suffer frequent respiratory infections than those who breathed fresh air every day.

Hardly from Cosmo or the Sunday World :rolleyes:

There are two 50 euro notes fluttering under the mat outside your door.
If you can get out of bed to get them you have a cold, if you can't you have the flu :D

Yeah this annoys me too. I had the real flu once and it was a nightmare. I wanted to die. But some people at work seems to have 'flu' 2/3 times a year...

Has anybody ever considered the flu injection. Never having had "the flu" I decided not to go that route and am just wondering if that was a good decision. I'm a bit anti unnecessary medication

There are two 50 euro notes fluttering under the mat outside your door.
If you can get out of bed to get them you have a cold, if you can't you have the flu :D

Good way to describe it. 25 years later and I still remember my flu.

Could have written the first post myself also, but I had the flu! One week on it's eased a lot, but still way below par. However, greatly cheered up by the fact that I can feel the weight dropping off yippee!!!

I don't have the flu, but sometimes I get a terrible pain in the neck listening to those who say they do...

ONQ.

I hate big girls blouses who call in sick over a little thing like a flu :) I had the flu, a chest and throat infection that lasted about a month a few years back. Talk about a struggle getting out of the bed every morning. Some of the stuff that came out of my chest, jaysus. And other places. But enough info Butt it didn't stop me going to work.

I hate inconsiderate people who come into work dying with chest infections etc. Not only are you spreading your germs everywhere, you're also far more likely to make mistakes or have an accident if using machinery.

I hate inconsiderate people who come into work dying with chest infections etc. Not only are you spreading your germs everywhere, you're also far more likely to make mistakes or have an accident if using machinery.

Inconsiderate? Everyone else that was working there had cried off sick, one had gone to Oz. It was highly inconsiderate of me to go into work, with no colleagues there to spread my germs to. It was highly inconsiderate of me to think that the company needed someone to run the office because all the other staff were off sick. And the bare faced cheek of me thinking that I had any right to help out the company when it really needed it. I must be a terrible person, me. :rolleyes:

Your post basically said you hate people staying at home with flus and colds and that you don't do this, but only take time off if you are hospitalised. It is that attitude I was criticising.

I was out "sick" last Thursday and Friday. I use the inverted commas because I dont know if it was flu or a cold.

I wasnt shivering but I did have aches and pains, especially in my left eye. I had pains in my limbs, I was hot, both eyes were watering, I was sneezing, coughing up phlegm and generally feeling poorly.

I had no appetite but again I havent a clue if it was a cold or the flu.

Maybe the experts here can tell me.

Hangover?

The pain in the left eye was from the row in the chipper afterwards.

I did have aches and pains.

Hangover !!!! :)

I had pains in my limbs.

Sudden exercise without properly warming up - see next sympthom :)

I was hot.

Standing too close to the fire, rads on full blast, you could try opening a window or taking off a layer of clothing :)

both eyes were watering.

Ah... chopping onions i'd say are to blame here :)

I was sneezing.

Possibly a slight allergy to chocolate, happens to me all the time :)

coughing up phlegm.

10 pints, 40 Jonny Blues and a kebab the night before ?? :)

and generally feeling poorly.

A nights drinking always leaves me feeling "poor"ly :)

I had no appetite but again I havent a clue if it was a cold or the flu.

Maybe the experts here can tell me.

Hope this helps, and if not, here's a cert for two weeks off work and a prescription for antibiotics - even though these are no good for any kind of infection caused by a virus ;)

No Banker, it was not the flu. I think you just watched The Front Line Monday night that the symptoms occurred two night later. You should soon be over it.

No Banker, it was not the flu. I think you just watched The Front Line Monday night that the symptoms occurred two night later. You should soon be over it.

Im over it now.. Like I said, I dont know if it was the flu or a cold and to be honest I dont really care.
I was sick, I stayed at home.

Back