Halifax Flexi Saver - 5.15% for one year

Hi guys, fyi once you created the account with the branch you need to wait for the letter of confirmation of account opening because the branch will pass the details on the Headquarter (+initial payment) for opening...

So the amount I transmitted this morning will probably bounce back...

Thank God it was only 5 Euro!:D

Last edited:
Godfather said:
The coordinates to check on the account via the internet will be sent in the next days!:)

Does that mean there is a way of managing the account online without having a Halifax current account? My understanding of it is that you must have a Halifax current account(as a prerequisite) to use their online banking service?:confused:

From my reading of it, the rate isn't fixed though - so they could change it in a couple of months time after getting in lots of deposits. Then if savers withdrew they would forfeit the bonus rate

Sorry but where in the offer do you read such restriction.

This offers seems to be totaly flexible. I read it as withdraw as much as you want, you will always get the 5.15% AER for amounts up to €10,000 in your account, even if you only have 1€ in there after several withdraws. And the interest is calculated daily.

Or am I missing something here?

sorry you're right in that, i assumed they wouldn't pay the bonus rate part until the end of the first year, but it doesn't say that. however i still believe my reading that the 5.15% rate is not guaranteed is correct???

*Bonus Rate of interest is paid on first €10,000 in year one, all other balances receive standard interest rate. Interest rates are variable and are subject to DIRT. Information correct as at 07/01/2008. Terms & Conditions apply.

Does that mean there is a way of managing the account online without having a Halifax current account? My understanding of it is that you must have a Halifax current account(as a prerequisite) to use their online banking service?:confused:

I'm not sure if you can use internet banking with Halifax without one of there current accounts (I had a current account already). but regardless its a no brainer. Their current account offers 10% interest on balances up to €2K once €1.5k passes throught the account each month. I get €13 each month after tax for leaving €1.5K in account for one night a month and then I jsut move it on.

in summary:

10% on €2K, and
5.15% on €9,999

...has made me a happy bunny and its not even easter!!

Guys, I have the halifax flexisaver but no C/a with halifax. Despite of this they are going to give me internet banking access to check my flexisaver. I hope this helps

Their current account offers 10% interest on balances up to €2K once €1.5k passes throught the account each month.

Does the €1500 have to be salary, or could you just EFT the amount from your existing current account (mine is with Ulster Bank) and then reverse the transaction the following day?
I couldn't be bothered redirecting my salary

From my reading of their T&Cs it can be any lodgement of €1.5K+. It does not have to be salary. I presume that you could reverse the transaction immediately too. Bear in mind that transferring in and out may take a few days each way.

Initially I didn’t pay my salary into the Halifax current account. However, I had two regular savings account (the original Halifax/BOSI regular savings account now paying 5.5% and their second regular savings account paying interest of 7 per cent) which amounted to €1.5K. I changed the direct debit to the Halifax current account and just made sure I had enough money to cover the outgoings in the account. This was enough to cover the T&C’s.

Having a Halifax Flexi saver account would make this even easier…. besides the current account is free…so what if you don’t use it won’t cost you a penny (unless you se the ATM card…but that’s the Government not the Bank)

skrooge said:
I'm not sure if you can use internet banking with Halifax without one of there current accounts (I had a current account already). but regardless its a no brainer. Their current account offers 10% interest on balances up to €2K once €1.5k passes throught the account each month. I get €13 each month after tax for leaving €1.5K in account for one night a month and then I jsut move it on.

Yes, I've been thinkering around with the idea of eventually switching to a Halifax current account. Apart from the interest, the online banking looks to be better than either BOI or AIB. Opened on Saturdays as well is also good. I'm just not in the right mindset to stomach the potential stress that switching a current account might entail.

Godfather said:
Guys, I have the halifax flexisaver but no C/a with halifax. Despite of this they are going to give me internet banking access to check my flexisaver. I hope this helps
From the Halifax website:
You must have a Halifax Current Account to use our online banking service.

Can you let us know how this works out?:confused:
I hope you prove the website wrong.;)

I don't know... Maybe as soon as they learned I was the Godfather they agreed to my request...;)

Btw I just got the ID by post. I'm just waiting for the PIN so that I'll be able to see which functionalities they'll allow on their internet visibility of the flexisaver.:confused:

Just double-checked with their lovely customer service: flexisaver entitles the applicant to internet banking (doesn't matter if you haven't a c/a with halifax).:)

Just double-checked with their lovely customer service: flexisaver entitles the applicant to internet banking (doesn't matter if you haven't a c/a with halifax).:)

ditto Godfather, I made the same call myself and got the same response.

good stuff, plan to open this account when I go home for the weekend on saturday (god bless their opening hours!). I don't really want to switch current accounts but wanted to be able to view my account online.

Thanks for the info Godfather and maura.:)

Jethro Tull said:
good stuff, plan to open this account when I go home for the weekend on saturday (god bless their opening hours!). I don't really want to switch current accounts but wanted to be able to view my account online.
Same here, might opt for the current account eventually but not right now.;)

Out of interest do you specifically have to request forms for online banking, or do they do it implicitly for new customers?

I presumed the number you called to confirm the online banking was 1890 81 82 83?(just in case I'm so lucky to visit the only branch that won't give me online banking with just the flexisaver:()

When I went to the branch to open my frexi-account I asked for the internet banking... If there was one more form they must have filled it up for me...;)

Yes I phoned that number you mentioned and I free posted everything to the address in Dundalk so I will wait to see how I get on and post back. Glad to be of help.

Happy days! All setup here.:)

Whole process only took 5-10 mins(including Q&A).

Can confirm also without a doubt that online banking is a packaged deal with the Flexisaver.;)
Also that there are no fees or charges(bar normal banking exceptions e.g. duplicate statements etc..) if your operating with just the Flexisaver + Online Banking setup.

Back