Halifax Flexi Saver - 5.15% for one year

Jethro Tull

just saw this on boards.ie.

[broken link removed]

pays 5.15% on the first 10k for the first year the account is open.

EDIT: Spelled 'Halifax' incorrectly in the title!!

Last edited:
Re: Halifaz Flexi Saver - 5.15% for one year

Ts & Cs say:

Bonus Rate of interest is paid on first €10,000 in year one, all other balances receive standard interest rate. Interest rates are variable and are subject to DIRT. Information correct as at 07/01/2008. Terms & Conditions apply.

does this imply a tiered rate system like Rabo used to have or a first active type rate? Must ring them tomorrow.

Btw how long does Rabo money mover take to transfer funds to my current account? Think this is a home for my rabo €10k.

God bless their saturday opening hours, I can drop in some saturday to open the account.

What a great start of 2008! I'm sure Rabo will review their rate v. soon if it keeps going like this!:D

they should as all the 'rate tarts' are surely moving their cash away.

Between AIB, FA and now halifax you can have 35k on deposit earning 5%+ and thats before you look at fixed term and regular savers.

I have 8k with rabo - I was going to open an Anglo Irish regular savers but the Halifax looks like a possibility.

Any advice?

Why not FA eSavings at 5.22% on up to €15K? Of course you could also drip feed the money into one or more c. 7% regular saver account for as long as those rates are on offer. There are innumerable threads on this sort of topic. Ultimately it's not that difficult - choose the demand/term lump sum and/or regular saver accounts whose rates and terms & conditions match your specific needs and then open them. Opening/managing multiple accounts is a bit of hassle but necessary if you want to be a good "rate tart".

Mmm this could get a bit klunky if you want to manage it online, as they state you must have a Halifax current account to use their online banking service....

Still if the current account is free... having no min amount or requiring X amount of online payments... then it could be manageable.

Guys, I'm going at my local branch tomorrow to open it. Anyone who opened it already? I was wondering if they'll ask me again for all the proofs of address now that this is going to be my 3rd account with them...:confused:

I'll update you if I have more news.:)

From my reading of it, the rate isn't fixed though - so they could change it in a couple of months time after getting in lots of deposits. Then if savers withdrew they would forfeit the bonus rate

From my reading of it, the rate isn't fixed though - so they could change it in a couple of months time after getting in lots of deposits. Then if savers withdrew they would forfeit the bonus rate
That is the case with a lot of lump sum and regular saver accounts at the moment. If you are chasing the best deposit interest returns then you have to accept that you may need to open multiple accounts at different times and try to choose accounts that have the most flexible terms and conditions (e.g. in terms of lock-ins, restrictions including interest penalties on cashing in etc.) that suit your specific needs.

Exactly, total flexibility is needed to get the most of this game. No total loyalty is allowed...

Hi everyone, account opened in 10 mins. They even gave me one of their 2008 calendars (I needed one).

The coordinates to check on the account via the internet will be sent in the next days!:)

P.S.: you can also nominate your current account so you give them the possibility to withdraw money on your behalf and put them into the flexisaver

Hi everyone, account opened in 10 mins. They even gave me one of their 2008 calendars (I needed one).

The coordinates to check on the account via the internet will be sent in the next days!:)

P.S.: you can also nominate your current account so you give them the possibility to withdraw money on your behalf and put them into the flexisaver

are there any problems if one doesn't have a halifax current account (I don't!) like there is with some AIB accounts? i.e. will I have to open one that I'll end up not using to fund the account?

Hi Jethro Tull, no problem. I nominated my PTSB c/a to do withdrawals and don't have any c/a with halifax.

Hi clubman, you are reading my mind... Yes I'm an explorer of life and my vocabulary reflects this!:D

Hi Jethro Tull, no problem. I nominated my PTSB c/a to do withdrawals and don't have any c/a with halifax.

Good stuff (I have a CA with PTSB also). A cheque will be winging their way next time I'm home to pick up the relevant stuff for the ID checks. Adios Rabo ;)

Back