Halifax Current account

Ron Burgundy

Hi all,

Thinking of moving from BOI to Halifax. Has anyone had experience of them good or bad ??

I like the idea of the Visa debit card.

I'd highly recommend the move. I changed to Halifax about a year ago and its been fine.

Great,

I filled in the online stuff and awaiting the letter. I have to order a bank statement now from BOI

Opened a current a/c (believe it or not, my first current a/c!) with Halifax just under 18 months ago, and have had no problems - it's nice to see the monthly interest going in!

Have used the online service too for direct debits and money transfers, again without problem (it's their credit card online system that lets them down - no breakdown of purchases, etc available.)

+1. Seconded.

I have been with Halifax for about a year now and have no problems. I was with BOI before that and the level of service is far superior with Halifax.

Their current account package is easily number the best buy out of the 8 banks offering current accounts in the Irish market.

Halifax cutting interest rate from 10% to 7%.

Has this taken effect yet? I see that [broken link removed] still ahs the rate at 10%. Are they jsut slow in updating this or does the lower 7% rate just apply to new customers?

Looking at the .itsyourmoney.ie website , I must say that Halifax certainly looks attractive for current account.

But I wonder is it a good idea to transfer all transactions to a 'foreign bank ' in the current climate .?

Moved over to Halifax from Ulster bank last August. Might be easier to do this in a branch rather than through customer service centre as i did. Just realised this week it wasn't set up as a funded account so i wasn't benefiting from the credit interest. So make sure thats set up. ( account needs to be credited by 1500 each month to avail of this so if your wages are going in it should be ok). Otherwise not too bad so far.

Hi Ron,
Switched over from UlsterBank to Halifax for my current account and Visa card two months ago. One of the main reasons for the switch was the lack of customer service I got with UB

So far, no problem with HBOS and the customer service could not be better. Online banking is okay, however only negative is that you can't see your Visa Credit Card transactions. However have been told by my branch that they hope to have this live by August this year.

Oh, and its nice to see that interest going into the current account every month.

So my advise would be to go ahead and switch over to HBOS

Hi all,

Thinking of moving from BOI to Halifax. Has anyone had experience of them good or bad ??

I like the idea of the Visa debit card.

Hi there,
Just wondering if you made the change from BOI to Halifax and if so how have you found them so far? The reason I ask because im currently with BOI and im also considering the change. Thanks

Missed this till now:
The interest rate on the first €2,000 for this account has dropped from 10% to 7% from 09/02/2009.

I'm considering moving to Halifax also from BOI. I called in to get the forms and their service seemed great. I've had it with BOI's poor service, I've been hit with a heap of laser card fees so the free transaction VISA debit card is very attractive. I've pretty much decided to go ahead and make the move now.

I switched in Oct 08 as I got really pi^$ed off with BOI's attitude to fees and all the various loops and boxes you had to jump through and tick to get free banking.

I have no regrets, BOI seem very up thier own backside when it comes to customer service. Maybe the staff are a bit miffed that thier share options are worth Zero!

Hey, and would you beleive it Halifax are open on Saturdays aswell!

I signed up for a current account 6 months ago and no complaints on the front. Only thing that annoys me is I also signed up for a credit card at the same time. For some reason you cannot view your transactions online

Small point but I wish I had known before I swtiched...

Another thumbs up from me for Halifax. moved our joint account to it from BOI. A few DD's got missed in the first month so keep an eye on this but none of it caused an issue by month 2. still have my own account with BOI and must say I have never had anything but good service from them as well.

Back