Halifax Current account

I'm considering moving to Halifax also from BOI. I called in to get the forms and their service seemed great. I've had it with BOI's poor service, I've been hit with a heap of laser card fees so the free transaction VISA debit card is very attractive. I've pretty much decided to go ahead and make the move now.

Transaction fees for what? Using laser is free in shops, and abroad in the eurozone. Only outside the eurozone do you pay transaction fees for the currency change, as would be the case with the Halifax VISA debit as well. Do you qualify for free banking with BOI?

I signed up for a current account 6 months ago and no complaints on the front. Only thing that annoys me is I also signed up for a credit card at the same time. For some reason you cannot view your transactions online

Small point but I wish I had known before I swtiched...

You should also note that even if you preload your halifax CC you are charged a cash withdrawl fee when using it abroad at an ATM.....may not be that relevant with the debit card.....

Do I have to take the Visa Card? I don't need another credit card, and I don't want to pay another Government Levy on one!

If its the visa credit card you only pay the government charge once, independent of how many cards you have.

If its the debit card you have to pay per card i.e. once for laser, again for halifax debit card.

You don't have to take the visa CC, I have Halifax current account and didnt take the CC option. I'm not sure if you can request not to get the debit card but since its a current account, its most likely you'd want it I would have thought?

I think you only pay ATM/Debit card government charges if you actually use the card. I could be wrong, I'm sure Halifax could clarify it for you.

If its the visa credit card you only pay the government charge once, independent of how many cards you have.

This information is ambiguous, as it implies there is only one charge levied, regardless of how many Credit Card Accounts you have.

Please see below for relevent rules, from Citizens Information

The charge is for each account. An individual can have additional cards issued on his/her account without paying extra duty. Companies that have a number of cards on one account must pay the duty on each card.

The duty is payable on April 1 for the preceding year. The tax year for the stamp duty begins on April 2.

If the credit card account is closed never having been used, no stamp duty is payable provided that you close the account in the same period as it was opened. If you have used your card and you close y our account during the year, you will be charged.

If you are changing to a different credit card account you don’t have to pay the duty more than once. When you are closing the account your card issuer will give you a letter of closure stating that you have paid your stamp duty for the year. If you give this letter to your new card issuer, you will not be charged stamp duty by them for that year. It is important not to lose the letter. Only one original letter of closure can be issued. A duplicate can be obtained if it is lost. You can change account as often as you like during the year without paying extra duty, as long as you transfer a letter of closure between the card issuers each time.

You are not liable to stamp duty if your billing address is outside the State for the entire accounting period in question.

Just from reading this thread. here are the pros and con i got from it:

Pros
More interest like 7%
Free banking

Cons
You cannot view your credit card details online

any others.

do you have to pay for ATM transactions.

Also is it 7% a year you get on your 2,000 euro

so that is 7%/12 = 0.00583% a month

if you put in 2000 a month then you get €11.66 a month without dirt taking out.

or is it that you get 7% a month on the €2000

so that is 0.07*2000 = 140 without dirt taking out. (this is too good to be true)

How many times a year is it paid out then does anyone know.

Thanks

Can anyone tell me what the waiting period for confirmation after transferring to Halifax was? I applied last Thursday and no word yet. Rang them and got a very strange lady on the phone who put me on hold without even telling me, then took my details again and said she'd send something to me in the post. Very strange.

Back