Guide to Berlin

hoopman

Hi All,
Myself and family (wife, me, 3 kids 8 - 17) going to Berlin next month for 4 days (Friday to Monday)
I am going to book with Ryanair and would ideally like to stay near an area called Rosa-Luxemburg Strasse as we have a function to attend there. Where it is in Berlin? I have not a clue, although on a map it is close to areas called Kclosterstr, Schillingstr, Alexanderpl and Hackescher Market.
Would anyone be able to advise me on :
1. Good but reasonable hotel near this location
2. Best way to travel from airport to the hotel and approx price etc
3. What this area is like and is it near any sights etc
4. Anything else that they feel could be good advise for us while there.
Many Thanks

Hi

Not sure about hotels as we stayed in a hostel but the Hackescher Market area is great. It is very close to alexander Platz too. If you fly Ryanair you will land at Schonefeld airport. There is a train that will take you direct to the city (about 40 mins, 4EUR)

This area is a good location, although with the best public transport system I have ever seen anywhere in central Berlin is accessible to everywhere else.

last year, we (family of five - kids 8, 14, 16) stayed in Hotel-Pension Bregenz on Bregenzer Strasse, a very safe area off Kurfürstendamm, a main avenue leading to the city centre. 5 minutes walk to the nearest bus stop (Olivaer Platz), and 5 minutes to one of the main train stations (Savigny-Platz). If travelling from Schoenefeld Airport, take the S9 S-Bahn to Savigny-Platz and walk to the hotel. The taxi to the airport cost us just €32. For value for money, this hotel was probably the best family hotel we stayed in on our European city trips. The owner (who is still there) provided daily advice, maps, bus tickets etc.

Rosa-Luxemburg Strasse is on the opposite side of the Tiergarten to Bregenzer Strasse, but, you can get anywhere in central Berlin in 20 minutes with the excellent transport systems. Map and guide book is all you need. Berlin is a sprawling city with a lot to see and a lot to do, especially if you are into history and art. Walk the streets, especially, the Eastern side and especially at night when everything is lit up. Eating out as a family was very good for quality, quantity and value - streets ahead of expensive Dublin.

Check out the hotel reviews (includes Irish postings)

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

To find Rosa-Luxemburg Strasse

Go to http://maps.google.com/ and enter Rosa-Luxemburg Strasse + berlin in the Search Maps field

Thanks for the replies

Carpeduem.
Will check out that hotel you stayed in Bregenzer Strasse, My own kids ages are quite similar 8, 15 and 17. How long difficult would it take to get to Rosa-Luxemburg Strasse as the event we are going to starts at 11 in morning and can't be late.

ShaneMc
Would that hostel you stayed in be suitable for children or would you recomend a hotel. I never stayed in a hostel and am unsure as in what to expect.

Cheers

myself and my BF stayed at the same place
Hotel-Pension Bregenz and it was also lovely , although not right in the heart of the city , it was very close to the Kurfürstendamm, a main avenue leading to the city centre. 5 minutes walk to the nearest bus stop (Olivaer Platz)
we used the bus all the time and it was very straight forward -
The owner of this pension, not a hotel but it was cosy , was like our guide he pulled out a map on our first arrival and told us exactly where to go , where the good shopping areas were etc
the crowd in this place was alot older , but it was grand, it was very quiet and very clean, we asked for a Room with a bathroom and shower,however there is also an option to have a shared bathroom depending on funding
Another thing, we did'nt have to pay any deposit before going, now it sounds very trusting , but it seems to be the way he did it, i guess i must have emailed him alot to ensure that but it was the norm for him
Places to eat near by , there is a really nice 60's diner, called Route 66 which has lovely america style food might suit the kids,and also english menu and not over priced at all , good lovely nachos which was alleged a starter for 6 euros and it was more than filling for a main course
other places good cuban bar- not really geared towards kids but there is a restaurant attatched which is like u were in the middle of cuba-! ,if u want more info PM me and ill let u know more about it

by the way i based my stay in Berlin in trip advisor as well and have also put in a review on it, as the guy in the place said how did we chose his place
so it sounds like he likes those reviews to be placed for him- to be honest u cannot always guarantee a place and how good it is , by an anonymous review on the internet , however i was well glad i chose this place anyway

ok Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz has an Berlin U-Bahn station located on the U2 To get to it from the Hotel-Pension Bregenz closest Subway for this pension, its not a hostel , but B And b -Subway: "Adenauer Platz

The link for that site is [broken link removed]

Actually looking at the Metro map , The above pension is on the West of the city , near Zoolog.Garten and where ye want to go is on the East side on the U 2
Use [broken link removed] to look for it ,

although the metro line is very fast , u might not want to be travelling this distance

Hi,

I've been to Berlin a few times and always stayed in the Park Inn Alexanderplatz, usually for about €40 per person including breakfast. a little searching around pays off here.

It's right beside the Alexanderplatz train station, with a taxi rank outside, so you're perfectly placed for any travel you need to do. It's perfectly central in the eastern half of the city, and you're just 10 mins walk from the Brandenburg Gate. The hop-on-hop-off bus stops right outside the hotel too, so it's easy to do some sightseeing too.

Hope that helps!

Bring the kids to legoland. good way to kill a few hours. I think its beside the Teirgarten station but i could be wrong

Thanks for the replies

Carpeduem.
Will check out that hotel you stayed in Bregenzer Strasse, My own kids ages are quite similar 8, 15 and 17. How long difficult would it take to get to Rosa-Luxemburg Strasse as the event we are going to starts at 11 in morning and can't be late.

Hoopman,

You will easily make 11:00 by bus from around the corner. Christian, the owner of the hotel, will give you the travel route. If in doubt, the hotel will order you a taxi. Two of my friends have also stayed at this hotel, one with a family. We took two rooms, both en suite, one for my teenage daughter and one very large room for ourselves and two sons. It was winter and the rooms were very warm. It is not a hotel like the Burlington etc, but, like a French pension or large B & B. Believe me, you won't fail with this hotel. Two good restaurants for families nearby: an Italian on the same street (I forget the name!) and the superb Vogelweide (Austrian http://www.restaurant-vogelweide.de/) 3 mins. walk away on the street behind the hotel, where the roast pork with dumplings and sauerkraat, or the goulash beef, followed by the best apple struedel in vanilla sauce and Schnapps (they made us Irish Coffees too!) is great on a cold Berlin night!

Whatever you do, enjoy Berlin!

Cheers!

Hi,

I've been to Berlin a few times and always stayed in the Park Inn Alexanderplatz, usually for about €40 per person including breakfast. a little searching around pays off here.

It's right beside the Alexanderplatz train station, with a taxi rank outside, so you're perfectly placed for any travel you need to do. It's perfectly central in the eastern half of the city, and you're just 10 mins walk from the Brandenburg Gate. The hop-on-hop-off bus stops right outside the hotel too, so it's easy to do some sightseeing too.

Hope that helps!
I'd second the Park Inn. Stayed there 3 times. Usually can get a good deal on the net. It's so easy to get everywhere from it. Train station right from Schonefeld airport & only costing €2.10. S Bahn & U Bahn right on your doorstep. It's also in East Berlin at Alexanderplatz so your function might even be walking distance. Berlin is a fabulous city.

I'd second the Park Inn. Stayed there 3 times. Usually can get a good deal on the net. It's so easy to get everywhere from it. Train station right from Schonefeld airport & only costing €2.10. S Bahn & U Bahn right on your doorstep. It's also in East Berlin at Alexanderplatz so your function might even be walking distance. Berlin is a fabulous city.

Would love to stay there but at 120euro a night I cant afford it, being a poor student. The most I can afford to pay is 170-200 for the 2 of us for 3 nights.

hecked out that pension but its booked out on the nights I wanted. Anymore suggestions?

Thanks everyone for your advice.
I only have diall up internet 16Kbps on a good day (can't get broadband where I am) So yee lot giving me advice on what web sites to look at, save me a lot of time, believe me on not having to filter through results from google.
Carpedeum
The Hotel-Pension Bregenz and I emailed Christian earlier and he emailed me back within minutes to tell me he had a 3 bedroomed ensuite for €90 per night and a Double but have to share bathroom for €55.

Blue
I will check out the Park Inn Alexanderplatz, tomorro, would you know if the train from the airport goes direct to Alexanderplatz train station.

Once again Many thanks to everyone

Park Inn may be a little expensive for you hoopman. It's location is ideal though & the train from Schonefeld goes straight to the main central areas ie Alexanderplatz, & Zoo. Alexandeplatz is very handy though as the return flight is early in the morning & journey to airport (flughafen in German ) is shortest from there. Trains are fairly regular http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml Would you consider staying in an apt or are you happy to go with the other option ? Gary. I always go by the dictum to book flights early & hotels late. This way I seem to get the best deal. I've gotten B & B in the Park Inn for €70 per room. You may get a last minute deal for 2 people but I'd be afraid to leave it too last minute when you need to accomodate 5 people hoopman.

Gary there are loads of Hostels advertised at the various stations. Zoo in particular. In fairness to the Germans I think most places are efficient & spotlessly clean. I also stayed in the Golden Tulip once & that was fine too. Just a short walk from the Zoo station.

Perplexed
Would you have a link to them direct by any chance. When I google the park inn, I keep getting booking agents rather than the hotel itself.
Or who do you book it with, if you don't mind me asking

There is an Ibis hotel for 75 per room per night at the Ostbahnhof (east railway station).

The S9 S-bahn from the airport stops at this station.

From here, you could get any S-bahn to Alexanderplatz, then a U2 metro to Rosa-Luxemburg Paltz.

Hoopman, I often travel alone to Berlin so I have the luxury of leaving it till the last minute. It's hard to do this when you're thinking of 5 people. They do have a website but I've never booked through it. Often found www.aerlingus.ie the cheapest !

Try Protocols idea. I've stayed in the Ibis Mitte on Prenzlauer Allee. It's just up the road from Alexanderplatz. It was good value, not fancy but clean & looks good for where you want to go. It's beside a petrol station with a late night shop.You can buy coffee juice & croissants etc in the morning if you don't want to buy b/fast in hotel. I think this might be your best bet.

Open map attached.

0357a00.gif

Thanks a million everyone for your help.
I feel like I know the city already.
Its great to have other peoples opinions and recomendations of hotels which makes finding one so much easier.

Back