Gripe Water

cosy

I went to a chemist to buy some gripe water and was told that it is gone off the market and nothing to replace it. Any alternatives for 6 week old breastfeeding WINDY baby.

Thanks

Actualy it's only not available in Ireland.
Apparently they need a license for it and it was never renewed.
I got it in England over the summer - maybe you can get someone to bring it home or order it online. It's quite heavy though so postage might be a lot.

cosy said:
I went to a chemist to buy some gripe water and was told that it is gone off the market and nothing to replace it. Any alternatives for 6 week old breastfeeding WINDY baby.

Thanks

It's more unusual for a breastfeeding baby to suffer from wind, I thought. My wife breast fed our first child and junior never had any wind at all. You might check if the baby is sucking in more air than milk? Hope you don't take this up the wrong way, I know my wife was sick of people telling her how and how not to feed her baby but her feeding technique (or the baby's technique I suppose) did improve with experience. It's all in the "latch on" isn't it?

kazbah said:
Actualy it's only not available in Ireland.
Boots told me that it's available in NI. However I guess it was taken off the market for a reason so it might be worth checking why this was.

ClubMan said:
Boots told me that it's available in NI. However I guess it was taken off the market for a reason so it might be worth checking why this was.

I believe it was due to licensing.

paddyc said:
AFAIK it was due to the alcohol content of the gripe water 4.4%

I don't think there has been alcohol in it in a long time.
I think the most popular brand is Woodwards Alcohol Free & Sugar Free gripe water.

When I searched here:
http://www.wisechoiceuk.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=6542
I saw:
This item presently unavailable due to FDA import ban.

Woodward's Gripe Water contains dill oil or dill water, sodium bicarbonate, alcohol, and other substances. Labeled for such medical uses as relieving baby's hiccups and minor stomach upsets, the product has been used in a number of other countries for years. In the United States, however, FDA considers it an unapproved drug. FDA also requires it to be detained at U.S. borders.

Carpenter

I see where you are coming from re unusual in breastfeeding, Its our 4th child in 7 years all breastfed, he is a big hungry lad (ouch). Can I give him anything as he gulps which makes him windy.

We used infacol for our windy (bottle feed) baby and it worked a treat

cosy said:
Carpenter

I see where you are coming from re unusual in breastfeeding, Its our 4th child in 7 years all breastfed, he is a big hungry lad (ouch). Can I give him anything as he gulps which makes him windy.

Well I'm not the expert here, my wife is naturally:) but junior is being weaned off the breast after nearly a year (down to 2 milk feeds a day). My wife had problems initially (in the first month or so) with getting junior to latch on well and get a good suck action going (I'm sure this sounds quite amusing to other AAM readers out there!). But I think I can honestly say that junior has NEVER had wind! Plenty of gas alright, but that's quite funny!!:D Has this arisen with any of your other children in the past? (wind that is!)

Fair play to your wife for lasting a year! A colleague's wife did it for three (!) years. My wife and all the women other in my family were only able to keep it going for the first few weeks (no mean feat either).

ClubMan said:
Fair play to your wife for lasting a year! A colleague's wife did it for three (!) years. My wife and all the women other in my family were only able to keep it going for the first few weeks (no mean feat either).

My wife came up against a lot of stick, especially from older female relatives on my side of the family: "Are you STILL breast feeding?". I know of someone (a member of La Leche League, of course) who breast fed their child for a lot longer...milk and cookies anyone?:D

No all others wind free but plenty of gas. He also throws up a little on and off after feeding. I am also a male and jnr is a good feeder/latcher. Just wondering did anything replace the famous gripe water.

Carpenter said:
I know of someone (a member of La Leche League, of course) who breast fed their child for a lot longer...milk and cookies anyone?:D

Yeah I've come across this too - odd!
Once you can ask you're too old IMHO.
I think 6 months would be my limit.

We used infacol, coleaf (sp?), gripe water, big teats, small teats, warm bottles, cold bottles, sitting up, lying down, Cow and Gate, SMA and any other thing we could find on our first baby - nothing worked to relive the wind; he just had to grow out of it.

But, for what it's worth, we found the gripe water particularly useless (the other solutions had a temporary affect at least); but I have read that some people swear by it - I think a lot depends on the individual babies.

Sorry I can't offer more constructive advice

Some babies are just more windy and possetty than others and no amount of gripe water or winding or positioning will do any good. I know V Jr ( also breast fed, 8 months ( !) ) was very possetty-and at times very windy, I found nothing to be of any use and she just had to grow out of it too.

Ha ha, and I thought the language of parents was universal! A possett is when a baby throws up excess milk they have taken for comfort or sheer greed, but their stomach can't accomodate the volumn so they throw it up. Its not really a vomit as such.

Back