Gripe Water

Ah, very interesting that..I 've found this definition of "posset": "formerly, a remedy against colds, etc. made from hot milk, curdled by adding wine, ale, vinegar etc. and usually spiced" - I think I'd skip that remedy.

Hi Cosy,

If wife has a chat with your district nurse you will probably find that junior has a touch of reflux which causes the vomiting and I'm convinced the wind. Both of mind had reflux and severe colic despite being breastfed. I tried the gripe water with them but it did not do any good. Neither of these are serious issues but you both have my sympathy because it can be a very stressful time. In a lot of cases the colic disappears when they go onto solids and in many cases the reflux clears up at about 9/12 months. You will probably find also that it is at its worst after 6 p.m. because of a build up over the day.

IMHO the best way to get rid of the colic is movement. This is probably why one sees so many Mothers out walking the pram. My brother used to drive around at night time to get junior to sleep when the wind was very bad :)

We have also had a previous thread on AAM on this very subject.

Hello,

BF my 1st windy boy and used Infacol. I helped but as another poster said some baby's are just a bit windy. I found that keeping him upright for a while after the feed helps - no idea why.
I can definitely sympathise.

We had a collicy baby who was breastfed for 9 months. We tried gripe water and infacol put didn't perceive any improvement. The colic went naturally after about 4 weeks (lasted from 2 months to 3 months).
I have since read that gripe water has been proven to be useless for colic. It's basically just sugared water.

Have you tried lying the baby on his/her tummy for a couple of minutes ... then sitting him/her up ... it usually squeezes all the wind out.

Other positions that might help: try hanging the baby with your hands under his/her shoulders and supporting his/her head from the back- i.e. letting the weight of the baby hang from under arms down. Or baby on lap, back to your chest, your hands under babies knees bringing babies knees up against chest and/or cycling legs. Or baby lying chest down along your arm, head in your palm sideways, legs dangling around your elbow and walking around can ease wind. We went through about one month of bad wind every few days with V Jnr just like Teabag. It disappeared after that naturally.I think they say if wind is very bad, that you could raise mattress in cot on one side to keep babies head higher than body, and even the changing mat too.

"Plenty of gas alright, but that's quite funny!!"

Lowering the tone of the conversation now :D but makes you wonder if the ones with severe colic were to take a leaf out of Carpenter's baby's book would they/their parents suffer a lot less.

Vanilla,

Considering options mentioned above just glad I wasn't your windy baby ;)

sueellen said:
Vanilla,

Considering options mentioned above just glad I wasn't your windy baby ;)
Actually, I can vouch for pretty much all of those techniques too! Coping with a bout of bad wind when The Mama is temporarily not available can make a man very resourceful indeed... :D

Even when it was available, I found Gripe water was never any great shakes for wind, but could help somewhat with teething pains/mild fever.

I think I was raised on gripe water and a bit of whiskey in the bottle :eek:

Back