Granny grant

What are the generations being compared here (or is this just a private spat :rolleyes:) ?

Born in 1950s vs born in 1970s ? Retired vs still in paid employment ?

It's a curious dichotomy. Most of the roles referred to were being fulfilled by men in their 50s whereas David Drumm was in his early 40s. Are they all the same generation ?
They were in their 50's and 60's 10-15 years ago when the boom happened. They retired around the time it crashed.
I suppose it's about the narrative that somehow "young people" have it easy, that "Millennials" are soft. They face into a far more uncertain world because my generation (in their 40's) and my parents generation (in their 70's) made such a mess of things from the early 90's until 2008 and still won't take responsibility for their actions. The people now in their 70's were in charge of most things during the boom. They squandered the money that was washing into the country. They increased welfare and pay and reduced taxes instead of building a world class transport, Broadband and public sector infrastructure. They speculated and sucked money out of wealth creating areas of the economy (internationally traded goods and services) and pumped it into non-wealth creating sectors like construction and the public sector. They were the people in power. They were our leaders. And they failed the Nation.
The generation behind me may never own a home, won't get a decent State pension, will work well into their 70's and will be crippled by our debt and our pensions but they are the generation which rejected represson, homophobia and racism. They are more positive and more hopeful, less corrupt and more civic minded. They are quite possibly our greatest generation.

... and yes, maybe I'm winding things up a bit too (but it is such fun!).

It seemed to be a hard pivot from OP to this, but your explanation makes it clearer.

The suggestion (and it should never progress beyond that) from the Independent Alliance would seem to belong to the other. And given how long Shane Ross has been, to quote his good buddy Eamon Dunphy, part of 'Official Ireland', it's no surprise.

They were in their 50's and 60's 10-15 years ago when the boom happened. They retired around the time it crashed.
I suppose it's about the narrative that somehow "young people" have it easy, that "Millennials" are soft. They face into a far more uncertain world because my generation (in their 40's) and my parents generation (in their 70's) made such a mess of things from the early 90's until 2008 and still won't take responsibility for their actions. The people now in their 70's were in charge of most things during the boom. They squandered the money that was washing into the country. They increased welfare and pay and reduced taxes instead of building a world class transport, Broadband and public sector infrastructure. They speculated and sucked money out of wealth creating areas of the economy (internationally traded goods and services) and pumped it into non-wealth creating sectors like construction and the public sector. They were the people in power. They were our leaders. And they failed the Nation.
The generation behind me may never own a home, won't get a decent State pension, will work well into their 70's and will be crippled by our debt and our pensions but they are the generation which rejected represson, homophobia and racism. They are more positive and more hopeful, less corrupt and more civic minded. They are quite possibly our greatest generation.

... and yes, maybe I'm winding things up a bit too (but it is such fun!).
How could you be winding things up you are going to be left holding the baby long term and no money put aside for your generation and the next generation will leave rather than pay high taxes to sopport the generation who knew the price of everything and the value of nothing,

Some only know how to pull down the generation before them , the know no matter how hard they try they messed up and will be the first Generation ever not to do better than there parents before them and it is eating them up,

Last edited:
my generation (in their 40's) and my parents generation (in their 70's) made such a mess of things from the early 90's until 2008 and still won't take responsibility for their actions. The people now in their 70's were in charge of most things during the boom. They squandered the money that was washing into the country. They increased welfare and pay and reduced taxes instead of building a world class transport, Broadband and public sector infrastructure.

This is actually quite untrue.

Ireland has been a very well run country over the last 30 years.

We have increased living standards hugely. The availability of education has been transformed. We have built enormous numbers of houses. We have come close to ending enforced emigration. The number of people at work in the country has doubled from 1 million to 2 million.

I regret that we have not yet built a proper broadband infrastructure, although except in rural areas that is nearly done.

We have prioritised inward investment rather than indigenous investment to build an industrial base, and while that may make us more exposed to certain risks, we would be poorer if we had acted differently.

As for water infrastructure, well every country has its madness, as they go the water ruckus was innocent enough.

This post will be deleted if not edited immediately lads will ye move on it's over no need to try and blame anyone we all played our part in it, standereds were lowered but the helicopters are back over Galway this week and I am delighted

The Irish Independent did a poll result 2% don't know 14 % not in favor and 84 % in favor of paying grandparents ,

Looks like most want money spent now rather than seeing it wasted on purples Generation later on, :D

Last edited:
This post will be deleted if not edited immediately lads will ye move on it's over no need to try and blame anyone we all played our part in it, standereds were lowered but the helicopters are back over Galway this week and I am delighted
Being down to the Galway races and will be for the rest of this week ,The free train/Bus pass comes in handy,

Ya grandparents should be paid but not by the state
Now we could not have the best Generation ever footing the bill for looking after there own children , How could that be right and we just after baling out the generation before them,;)

looks like they helicopters are not going to return back over Dublin , People who can afford them don't need them because they have a free train/bus /luas/dart pass ,;)

This is actually one of the most ridiculous pieces of political grandstanding I have seen. I would imagine even FF would be embarrassed by this. Why wouldn't everyone with nieces, nephews grandchildren just claim they mind them for 10 hours a week (Who is going to prove they aren't) take the €1000?? So a man and woman have one child. Both their parents are alive. The woman has two sisters who live locally and the man has a brother. They all 'mind' the child for 10 hours a week. That's €7000 a year for the one child. Meanwhile, revenue/social protection will have to spend millions trying to verify valid claims. It is complete stupidity.

Shane Ross as Minister of Sport came up with this idea in the same week that Ireland's womens hockey team made a world cup semi final. Those women PAY for the privilege of play for Ireland. They have to crowdfund to raise money to participate. They had to take time off work and make huge personal sacrifices to achieve this. Ross and the other politicians will be meeting them at the airport and sharing in their achievements but he should be too embarrassed to show his face. To suggest something like a Granny grant when he can't even fund his own department properly shows what an incompetent, self serving politician he really is. He is what I would imagine would be created if Bertie Ahern, Eamonn Dunphy and George Hook had a genetically created love child.

They all 'mind' the child for 10 hours a week. That's €7000 a year for the one child. Meanwhile, revenue/social protection will have to spend millions trying to verify valid claims. It is complete stupidity.

Even better, it's proposed to run on a purely self-assessment basis, so there would be no checking on whether claims are valid or not, as they know doing so would more than double the cost of the scheme.

Wasn't there a grant some years back per child? I think it was a €1000 per child up to the age of six - this in addition to child benefit.
It lasted about two years when it was promptly dropped upon the economic and financial crisis.

I haven't seen any concrete proposals on this but I suspect they don't amount to much more than what can be written on the back of an envelope.
Childcare and associated costs are a serious issue. If both parents are wanting/expected/needing to work outside the home, they need adequate income to support the costs of childcare. Parents also need to be re-assured that those minding their kids are doing so responsibly, and not like the incidences exposed on Prime Time a couple years back, or worse. That also costs money, good childcare needs good wages.

Can we get this payment backdated? All my grandparents ( who each helped with childminding HONESTLY) are all dead.

Shane Ross as Minister of Sport came up with this idea in the same week that Ireland's womens hockey team made a world cup semi final. Those women PAY for the privilege of play for Ireland. They have to crowdfund to raise money to participate. They had to take time off work and make huge personal sacrifices to achieve this. Ross and the other politicians will be meeting them at the airport and sharing in their achievements but he should be too embarrassed to show his face. To suggest something like a Granny grant when he can't even fund his own department properly shows what an incompetent, self serving politician he really is. He is what I would imagine would be created if Bertie Ahern, Eamonn Dunphy and George Hook had a genetically created love child.

I am really surprised at the people who got taken in by the fake news I suspect the often wonder why no one ever pays any notice to there views . formed while the have there blinkers on,

I am really surprised at the people who got taken in by the fake news I suspect the often wonder why no one ever pays any notice to there views . formed while the have there blinkers on,

. . . . . and there I was, hoping that my Rolls Royce Pension (according to some posters here) would be augmented by €1000.00 per annum.

. . . . . and there I was, hoping that my Rolls Royce Pension (according to some posters here) would be augmented by €1000.00 per annum.
Do you know the quacking duck always gets shot, Your Pension I am sure was well earned the quacking ducks will get plucked again and again ,no need to worry while we have quacking ducks things will be fine,

What fake news? No offense but your posts are very difficult to read. Especially since you post so many in a row.

Do you know the quacking duck always gets shot, the quacking ducks will get plucked again and again ,no need to worry while we have quacking ducks things will be fine,

Shot, Plucked again and again, those quacking ducks have a lot to put up with.

We are lucky to have them.

Back