Government ban on new petrol and diesel cars pushed back to 2035

we dont tend to involve ourselves in wars so hardly a realistic concern is it.
Can't be discounted in the baltic countries or Poland. Two years ago the prospect of a full scale war in Ukraine was also very low yet here we are

Can't be discounted in the baltic countries or Poland. Two years ago the prospect of a full scale war in Ukraine was also very low yet here we are
we arent in the baltic countries or Poland though, unless the conversation has evolved to a pan european one?

we arent in the baltic countries or Poland though, unless the conversation has evolved to a pan european one?
We are part of the EU and so are obliged to respond if a fellow EU country is attacked. Our cowardice does, it seems, know some bounds.

What the current war does show is is the importance of energy independence.

But the speed of transition to electric cars will be decided in Europe where the cars are made not in Ireland. Some of the countries that border Russia and Ukraine have large automotive industries themselves and are also a big part of the supply chain for the german and French industries. Therefore what they see happening on their borders in Ukraine will affect how they proceed with the transition to electric cars

We are part of the EU and so are obliged to respond if a fellow EU country is attacked. Our cowardice does, it seems, know some bounds.

What the current war does show is is the importance of energy independence.
it does, and our main hope in that regard is renewables, in any event its a strange thread to be picking at in a discussion about electric cars.

But the speed of transition to electric cars will be decided in Europe where the cars are made not in Ireland. Some of the countries that border Russia and Ukraine have large automotive industries themselves and are also a big part of the supply chain for the german and French industries. Therefore what they see happening on their borders in Ukraine will affect how they proceed with the transition to electric cars
as I've already pointed out they arent deciding now, this has been in train for quite some time, they aren't all now deciding to pivot to EV's.

Look at the product road map for Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo etc etc.

Ambitious plans by the EU to ban the sale of new vehicles powered by internal combustion engines by 2035 have been thwarted after last-minute opposition by Germany, the powerhouse of Europe’s car industry. What was meant to be a simple rubber-stamping by ministers this week of measures agreed last year by member states and recently approved by the European parliament has instead been indefinitely postponed. Not only does Germany set a terrible example to other countries tempted to hold legislation hostage to national interests, it also threatens the credibility of Berlin on the green transition, and that of the EU. The bloc’s proposed ban is a key component of its target to reach carbon neutrality by 2050. That journey has now hit a roadblock.

this is the article on another site not behind a paywall. Also interesting that there was alot of this big talk from the oil companies 2 years ago of moving away from oil and leaving oil in the ground. Now BP and Shell have backtracked on this and are now putting more money into finding new oil reserves due to record oil prices. to use the german expression this is "realpolitik"

Ambitious plans by the EU to ban the sale of new vehicles powered by internal combustion engines by 2035 have been thwarted after last-minute opposition by Germany, the powerhouse of Europe’s car industry. What was meant to be a simple rubber-stamping by ministers this week of measures agreed last year by member states and recently approved by the European parliament has instead been indefinitely postponed. Not only does Germany set a terrible example to other countries tempted to hold legislation hostage to national interests, it also threatens the credibility of Berlin on the green transition, and that of the EU. The bloc’s proposed ban is a key component of its target to reach carbon neutrality by 2050. That journey has now hit a roadblock.
Fair play to them, this green nonsense another example of mindless social contagion. No scientific basis for any of it.

Fair play to them, this green nonsense another example of mindless social contagion. No scientific basis for any of it.
There is no scientific basis that diesel fumes are harmful to the environment a s more importantly to people ?

The transition to electrified transport is more about particulate matter and nitrogen oxides, for which there is overwhelming scientific consensus of the harm they’re doing to us. Cows release neither in the areas we work and live, cars release almost all of it.

There are social contagions at work here alright, just not the one you’re imagining.

The transition to electrified transport is more about particulate matter and nitrogen oxides, for which there is overwhelming scientific consensus of the harm they’re doing to us. Cows release neither in the areas we work and live, cars release almost all of it.

There are social contagions at work here alright, just not the one you’re imagining.
Grand but they’ll be have to pry my trusty diesel from my cold dead hands! Tech gives me the rage as is so no way I’m plugging the motor in to the matrix too.

Grand but they’ll be have to pry my trusty diesel from my cold dead hands! Tech gives me the rage as is so no way I’m plugging the motor in to the matrix too
Don’t think you have to worry tbh, I cannot imagine us seeing an outright ICE driving ban in our lifetime. Taxes will steadily increase on them, there might be scrappage incentives and perhaps bans in built up areas. Telling a large number of people who cannot afford a new car that they must stop driving theirs would not go down well.

Tech gives me the rage as is so no way I’m plugging the motor in to the matrix too.
The tech in EVs is no more connected than is available in petrol/diesel cars. With an EV though you can run it from electricity you generate with solar panels or whatever, no need to trek to a petrol station regularly. And the power in the car can run your house. To me EVs are an off-gridder’s dream surely?

Back