Government ban on new petrol and diesel cars pushed back to 2035

joe sod

The government got their fingers rapped by the EU over their plan to outlaw the sale of new petrol and diesel cars in 2030. The EU said that this proposal would be anti competitive and the government must now wait for the EU ban which will come into effect 2035.
It was ridiculous and unrealistic anyway for the government to be jumping ahead of EU since ireland doesn't even have a car industry so where we're all the cars for this going to come from.
Also the car industry is struggling to produce new cars anyway whether electric or conventional in the UK last year they only produced 70 000 new cars whereas in 2019 they were producing 300,000. Now some of this brexit related but its also a Europe wide issue given that some of the supply chain that was being produced in Ukraine has been destroyed

It was ridiculous and unrealistic anyway for the government to be jumping ahead of EU since ireland doesn't even have a car industry so where we're all the cars for this going to come from.
They weren't banning petrol/diesel vehicles altogether or the second hand trade in same.

They weren't banning petrol/diesel vehicles altogether or the second hand trade in same.
They weren't proposing to do the former directly, but that would have been their undoubted effect, along with an aggressive price bubble in the latter which has already started.
Maybe we could just drive less, keep our cars for longer and use our resources more wisely.
Or maybe we could just drive more? It's an integral and IMO necessary element of economic progression.

They weren't proposing to do the former directly, but that would have been their undoubted effect, along with an aggressive price bubble in the latter which has already started.

Or maybe we could just drive more? It's an integral and IMO necessary element of economic progression.
Yes - more driving and traffic gridlock. So many proven economic benefits. Not to mention societal benefits.

Yes - more driving and traffic gridlock. So many proven economic benefits. Not to mention societal benefits.
Inevitable and already ongoing byproduct of inevitable and already ongoing population increases.

It's ok, we've managed bigger challenges than this, and we'll take this too in our stride.

It will be the car manufacturers ultimately who decide when the sale of new diesel/petrol cars ends. Some have already stopped building new diesel/petrol cars and I suspect that by 2035 most (if not all) will have ended so it won't really matter when the EU (or Ireland) decide to introduce the ban.

It will be the car manufacturers ultimately who decide when the sale of new diesel/petrol cars ends. Some have already stopped building new diesel/petrol cars and I suspect that by 2035 most (if not all) will have ended so it won't really matter when the EU (or Ireland) decide to introduce the ban.
I think they are all still producing existing models but that they are not introducing new models of petrol or diesel cars, but sure they can continue to produce existing models for many years anyway.
The car companies are struggling to produce electric cars at volume due to the shortage of raw materials and supply chain constraints. That will get a whole lot worse if the Americans sanction China for helping russia with weapons

What bigger challenge than an imminent/in progress global climate catastrophe have we managed successfully?
I've no intention of dragging this off thread - and thus will not debate this at any length - but suffice to say that the claim that we're facing climate catastrophe isn't half as convincing as many people make out. For starters, previous eras of warmer temperatures have generally tended to coincide with economic and social prosperity while lower temperatures have tended to coincide with hardship and social regression.

For example the sharp decrease in global poverty in recent decades, achieved despite a burgeoning global population, has coincided with generally warmer temperatures. Humanity is, despite the many predictions of gloom, doing rather well right now.

Maybe we could just drive less, keep our cars for longer and use our resources more wisely.
I'd love to drive less, but because of a variety of medical needs, I must drive to hospitals in Dublin, Waterford, and Kilkenny for diagnostics and treatment. I can't use public transport (I've tried) because services don't connect and are unreliable. Lots for our government to fix before jumping ahead with more ridiculous targets.

I'd love to drive less, but because of a variety of medical needs, I must drive to hospitals in Dublin, Waterford, and Kilkenny for diagnostics and treatment. I can't use public transport (I've tried) because services don't connect and are unreliable. Lots for our government to fix before jumping ahead with more ridiculous targets.
I said drive less. Not stop driving.

I've no intention of dragging this off thread - and thus will not debate this at any length - but suffice to say that the claim that we're facing climate catastrophe isn't half as convincing as many people make out. For starters, previous eras of warmer temperatures have generally tended to coincide with economic and social prosperity while lower temperatures have tended to coincide with hardship and social regression.

For example the sharp decrease in global poverty in recent decades, achieved despite a burgeoning global population, has coincided with generally warmer temperatures. Humanity is, despite the many predictions of gloom, doing rather well right now.
You're comparing an apple to an orange.

Also, we're not feeling the full effects of the problem right now therefore it's not really a problem or an exaggerated problem.

You're comparing an apple to an orange.

Also, we're not feeling the full effects of the problem right now therefore it's not really a problem or an exaggerated problem.
Global poverty continues to fall so it can be claimed that we're not yet feeling the full benefits of that right now either.

Bigger and better roads. Ireland is immeasurably better off now with our network of motorways and town bypasses than say 30 years ago when for example every trip from Dublin to Belfast, Galway or Cork almost constituted an expedition.
Ah more roads! Building more roads has been such a success that we now spend more time stuck in traffic. And if we continue with more roads and more cars we'll spend even more time stuck in traffic.

At what point will you consider an alternative?

Ah more roads! Building more roads has been such a success that we now spend more time stuck in traffic.
Not in comparison to 1990 we don't. Nor even 2005. And our population has grown sharply since that.
And if we continue with more roads and more cars we'll spend even more time stuck in traffic.
That remains unproven. The consensus seems to be in the opposite direction - that the in-the-pipeline bypasses of Galway, Adare, Moycullen, Castlebar, Virginia and elsewhere will relieve traffic bottlenecks rather than add to them.
At what point will you consider an alternative?
I always consider alternatives, where they exist. Dublin public transport for instance is immeasurably better than even a few decades ago.

Last edited:
I said drive less. Not stop driving.
I'd like to have the choice.

Between the chaos and mismanagement of the HSE and public transport, I'm denied a choice about where and when I drive. 176 mile / 282 km return journey for a medical appointment plus toll fees and exorbitant parking charges simply because of a lack of management, planning, and investment in public health and public transport. Meanwhile, the PR spend on our drive to green/Green goes through the roof.

will we end up driving ageing cars like Cuba due the lack of availability of new ones, or a 10 year waiting list for a car like the old Soviet union, we seem to be going down that road

Back