Good riddance to Aer Rianta

Gossip?

Gossip Ted?
For starters, if it was 'gossip' it wasn't invented by Impact, but was plastered over every newspaper headline in the country for weeks, and hotly debated in letters pages and editorials. I listened to politicians being directly asked on radio interviews (including Mary O'Rourke and Sammy Brennan) what they thought of an MBO at Aer Lingus and they were all for it...O'Rourke in particular seemed to almost wet herself at the idea.

Here's a quote from [broken link removed]

The controversial request for a management buyout of Aer Lingus has been withdrawn, it was confirmed tonight.

The airline’s chief executive Willie Walsh told the Oireachtas Committee on Transport his management team had no wish to buy the state airline.

“I met with the secretary general at the Department of Transport and advised him that the management team had no interest in pursuing the issue,” he said. “That was withdrawn on Monday this week.”

He claimed a management buyout had never been on the cards but it was simply an attempt to develop an investment strategy.

How does one withdraw from something that 'was never on the cards'?
How does one cease pursuing something they haven't been pursuing?

Here's a link to 'Air Transport World' (The Website of Airline Management)

[broken link removed]

Dateline: Tuesday August 31, 2004

Aer Lingus CEO Willie Walsh last month asked the government for permission to lead a management buyout of Aer Lingus, which is repositioning itself as a low-fare airline (ATWOnline, July 7).

And here..."AirlineWatch-The Knowledge Hub for the Airline Industry"

July 07, 2004
Irish Govt Committee To Examine Aer Lingus MBO Plans
A top-level committee of Irish government officials has been formed to consider a proposed management buyout of state-controlled airline Aer Lingus.

Go on Ted....spin yourself dizzy, but you're only making a fool of yourself for a guy who is nothing more than a clever little jumped up civil servant on the make.

He's got his hand in your backpocket and you love the feel of it, don'tcha.

Re: Gossip?

Tharg,

While I largely agree with your views on Aer Lingus and have posted in support of you on a number of occasions, I think you are ridiculously harsh on Aer Rianta.

Firstly, Aer Rianta HAS NOT BEEN ALLOWED by government to implement its plans for infrastructural development. This is in the name of not prejudicing the development of the "second terminal", a model which works nowhere, and was such an unmitigated disaster when tried in Toronto that it had to be re-nationalised! So much for private sector efficiency!

Secondly, Aer Rianta is both highly profitable and has very low landing charges (particularly when compared, as you do, to other European capital city airports) Furthermore, it has a very profitable international airport management and consultancy business which includes such notable clients as JFK, Dubai, Birmingham, Dusseldorf to name a few. Obviously Aer Rianta must be doing something right!

Finally, your points about the ATC shortcomings at DUB, while undoubtedly correct, are the responsibility of the Irish Aviation Authority and not Aer Rianta.

Sell 'em off

They should have sold off those jokers in both Aer Lingus and Aer Rianta long ago.

Re: Aer Lingus

From today's Irish Times:

Aer Lingus will shortly approach the Government with a request for a cash injection of between €200-€300 million in order to complete its long-haul fleet deal with Boeing or Airbus.

Why can't Aer Siptu go to the market for funds instead of bothering the taxpayer? I would prefer to see this money spent on education or the health service, rather than on that leisure centre that passes for an airline.

Now now

To be fair, Slasher, some of the poor auld pilots there fly up to 400 hours per year, which is almost eight hours a week: how they manage to fit in working between all the time on the Golf course and carping here on AAM is beyond me.

8 hours per week

Bollox.
Prove it.

And Slash...I agree, sell it.
But Bertie can't make his mind up.

Because its profitable at the moment he's being told by one half of the media/population to keep it while the other half say let it go.

When the 10 year airline business cycle turns down again in 2007/2008 and it starts losing money, everybody will be whining about it.
Peoples opinions blow with the wind. Love you today, hate you tomorrow.

Raising money through debt is stupid and short sighted and will lead to a faster deterioration in operating margin in the next few years.

There are two answers.

A) Put money in.
B) Sell it.

I prefer B.

Re: 8 hours per week

And Slash...I agree, sell it.

I didn't say "Sell it". I said go to the market for funds, like all other commercial enterprises. Borrow from banks, sell bonds, whatever makes sense.

It's not just a question of ownership. It doesn't matter if it's owned by the State or not. I don't care who owns it. I just want to see it run like a commercial enterprise, where people put in a fair day's work for a fair day's pay, and where change can be achieved without SIPTU calling for strike action every time change is proposed (of course that's an exaggeration, but you know what I mean).

But Bertie can't make his mind up.

Oh, Bertie's made up his mind all right. He's decided not to sell it, because SIPTU have told him that would be unacceptable, and he wants them to support National Wage Agreements in the future.

Bollox indeed

Eloquent as ever Tharg.

Wouldn't expect much better from an ignoramus like you. No wonder Seamus Brennan had to put in some one like William Walsh to teach you lot manners.

Fair days yaddah yaddah yaddah

Slasher said:

It doesn't matter if it's owned by the State or not. I don't care who owns it. I just want to see it run like a commercial enterprise, where people put in a fair day's work for a fair day's pay, and where change can be achieved without SIPTU calling for strike action every time change is proposed

That'll never happen while it is in State hands. The Government don't have the cojones to stand up to the unions in this country.

Sell it now.

Bollox

No proof then? Thought not. Just talking bollox.

To use your own words -
"Wouldn't expect much better from an ignoramus like you."

Lets trade insults for a while.....

An illerate ignoramus, at that !

If you can't even spell your own fecking handle, how can you be trusted to fly a plane.

Care to tell us, with evidence, what the average flight time the average "hard working" pilot in Aer Fungus flies then ??

Re: An illerate ignoramus, at that !

Looks like this thread has reached the end of its useful life. Thread closed.

Back