Good Hairdressers in Dublin

House of colour on capel street are great, in particular Leona. Cut is around €50. the wash includes a head massage which is gorgeous! and after six o'clock you're offered a free glass of wine while you're hair's being cut!

hi i use catriona langton,she runs her own business and comes to your home she is a mobile colourist and stylist(0872845290)-very qualified colourist,i went from brown to blond-full head for 70eu and i prefere her than goin to a salon and its cheeper... i heard of her through my next door neighbour ....we live on the northside area......prices range from 30eu for a cut and blowdry,to highest price on list-99eu for fullhead long with cut and blowdry.... good option and different option !

Tried to book Reds, sent them an email but no one got back to me so I can't be bothered trying again. They either want my E300 for a cut and colour or they don't.

Does anyone know what Thomas Kendalls in Castleknock is like, its across the road from me and handy. Just worried its for all the old dears around here and isnt' particularly young and trendy. I just want a good colour and cut and not to be scalped whcih everytime I got to Peter Mark, tonis and Guys or any of the trendier salons some whipper snappers gives me a ridiculous hair cut. I have long hair its easy to cut so how come I come out crying all the time.

My own recommendation is for Cats at the Westbury Mall. I find them quite reasonable and they seem to go to a lot of trouble to understand what you want.

Hi there,
There is a place in Molesworth street called Pauls Place - I cant recomend this highly enough - my mum (travels from Naas) and sister both started to go to Peter - to get him to do their colours - reasonable enough for town - my hair cut was €55 and I constantly get remarks about how well it is cut...

I wouldn't be mad about Thomas Kendalls, went once and found my highlights faded really badly. Normally get 2 1/2 months out of them and for quite expensive needed them done within the month again. Also took forever (almost 4 hours and only have bob!)

As I said earlier in thread would recommend House of Colour in town, but if you want to go local, got my highlights done bargain basement in Hair Today Coolmine recently and love the result. Half price! Only a local salon but great. 8214985

I only want a colour in to make my hair shiny as never dyed it before so that can't be too difficut to get right, just want my hair trimmed apart from that not scalped. Will try Thomas Kendalls

Mrs Goggin has been going to a new place on Georges/Aungier street called Queen and having had numerous "thick hair" issues and colour disasters she now completely swears by it.

Hi

I live in d.24 and was just wondering if anybody knew of any good mobile colourist and stylist for me and a friend.I work mad hours so i find it hard to get to a salon.

Thanks
Sparkle

Hi All,

Sorry to intrude but I'm opening a new salon in the west Dublin area over the next 2 months or so and am curious to find what people find frustrating\annoying about salons on general. We're trying to offer an alternative to city centre (quality) salons - in a suburban location.

Prices?
Customer care ( or lack of?)
Opening hours?
Creativity ?
Technical quality?
Salon atmosphere?

Please feel free to PM me if required.

Thanks,
DD

I would kill for a hairdressers who opened v early or stayed open v late. I work 9 to 6 in town, don't want to give up my saturdays for hair and lunch not long enough. thursday so busy that it takes at least 3 hours.

would pay extra for 7am-9am....full head bleach and can't take 2 hour lunch every 5 weeks!

in west dublin so pm me if you need any volunteers...!

Just regarding Redz,
I went there before I got married to get a trim and highlights, and was not happy at all with the highlights.
I got a half a head of them, and when I lifted up the top section of my hair to see the highlights underneath, I found that some of the colour had bled from the foil, and died a patch of my hair, so it was a blob rather than streaks.
TBH, I never went back to complain, as it was a week before the wedding, and I did not have the time.

To answer your questions: (Might help if you had setup a new post on this one)

Prices - Am willing to pay for good service, good quality hair dressing and convenience of location.

Customer Care - Prefer to have the same person applying colour, washing, cutting and not be pushed from one person to the other. Want that person dedicated to me while I'm there (not working on three clients at one time). Want to be offered a cup of tea or coffee at the very least.
Juniors should be trained on customer care and what it means... Don't want to have additional products pushed on me either!

Opening hours - Normal plus two late nights a week if possible
Creativity - Sometimes want the stylist to suggest new things, perhaps using new technolgies in colour or whatever. It can get boring if your stylist is not creative.

Technical quality - Want to know that the hair dressers have been trained and or worked in some big name salons. Want to know the product names you are using (not some obscure products) and that they are the better quality.

Salon atmosphere - A little music but not blasting. Clean, modern, no clutter, classy...., comfortable chairs, not too visible to people outside....

Hope that helps! PM me if you want to ask any more

Same question for Galway. Pay a fortune with well known hairdresser but increasingly leaving unsatisfied????

i posted up that i use a girl who comes to my home,its alot less formal and i feel alot more comfortable about it... i do think that hairdressing is a tough job and people seem to be on their feet all day and sometimes too tired to really listen... i rarely feel happy with the out come when i come out of the salon and i feel very self conscious in there...i would like to feel a better atmosphere in the salon something like when i walk into get a massage,the music is more tranquil and the place is more peaceful... i know its prob a bit un-realistic... with hair dryers goin etc,i alway think if the staff is happy then the atmosphee will be too and customers will sense that best of luck annyhooo xx

DD I want a salon where the staff don't look down their noses at me, especially the receptionist.

Sounds weird maybe but some salons are very intimidating with their bright orange, hair ghd-d to within an inch of its life type staff in the trendiest of fashions.

Price, I want something that I can afford to have done on a regular basis to maintain both cut and colour. As someone who went quite grey in my teens I need to colour often but cannot afford the prices some salons charge.

The other thing that really annoyed me was when I went to Zeba. I used one of their most expensive staff as he was recommended by a friend. I'd arrive for my appointment, wait 15 mins. He'd leave whoever he was working on, come have a chat then hand me over to a junior to wash my hair. After another 10 or 15 mins waiting he'd come over and start the colour. He'd then attempt (usually unsuccessfully) to convince me to let a junior take over. Colour eventually on and I'd be left. Junior would wash out. Then I'd wait another 15 mins before he'd come to start the cut. He'd usually be interupted a couple of times to go meet his other appointments. Cut finally finished he'd usually get someone else to rough dry it before finally finishing it off himself.

To be treated that poorly I was paying almost €200 and I decided enough was enough. Went to a friend of a friend then who worked from home and charged me €95 for her 100% attention and a friendly chat over a cuppa while the colour developed.

Have actually had to switch to home colour lately because of time constraints - I have not had the time to sit in a salon or friends apartment doing nothing -and for cut I went to Peter Marks at Superquinn in Blanch last time and was pleasantly surprised. My memories of Peter Marks was a factory line but not this one. Loved the cut and the price!

Would of course be interested in trying a new place in West Dublin. Still searching for that little bit of inspiration. I'm not a hair person so having someone with vision and practical ideas (no 45 mins with a GHD or hair dryer styles thanks!) would be magic!

Hi DD,

I'd second Lauren's points, especially the bit about Customer Care.

I'd also like to see better hygiene. I've seen stylists use a brush on the person beside me and then on me. Whatever happened to the sterilisers?!

A big peeve is the smell of cigarettes from a stylist's hands (if they smoke). I can't count the times someone has come back from their break stinking of smoke, their fingers pressing on my face right under my nose as they cut the front of my hair. Yuk!

Best of luck with your new salon!

The other thing that really annoyed me was when I went to Zeba. I used one of their most expensive staff as he was recommended by a friend. I'd arrive for my appointment, wait 15 mins. He'd leave whoever he was working on, come have a chat then hand me over to a junior to wash my hair. After another 10 or 15 mins waiting he'd come over and start the colour. He'd then attempt (usually unsuccessfully) to convince me to let a junior take over. Colour eventually on and I'd be left. Junior would wash out. Then I'd wait another 15 mins before he'd come to start the cut. He'd usually be interupted a couple of times to go meet his other appointments. Cut finally finished he'd usually get someone else to rough dry it before finally finishing it off himself.

To be treated that poorly I was paying almost €200 and I decided enough was enough. Went to a friend of a friend then who worked from home and charged me €95 for her 100% attention and a friendly chat over a cuppa while the colour developed.

Ohhhh how annoying...that is HUGELY frustrating especially if you are paying that much money....Unfortunately that kind of treatment is common in larger salons.....To be avoided at all costs....

95 quid from a friend in her home!! :eek:
She has no unbelievable D.2. rent, no staff, no insurance, no expensive shop fit out, no huge magazine bill!
I say get new friends and a box of clairol!

Back