Good area in Navan to live

gazzer

Im living in Dublin 15 and the estate I am in is beset by anti social behaviour( I have previously posted about this). I had been looking around different places with a view to moving but couldnt really decide where to go.

Anyway in the end I think Navan could be a good bet. I work in the city centre so the frequency of the bus service was a factor and the bus service to and from Navan seems to be pretty good.

It takes me 70 minutes in the morning to get to work from where I am currently living and about the same home so I figure the commute from Navan wouldnt be much longer. Also there is a night bus there in case I head out at weekends.

Anyway because of the dreadful problems we have been having in Dublin 15 I am really wary of moving from the frying pan into the fire. I dont want to end up moving into a really bad area. I know any area can have anti social problems and thats fair enough but i dont want to move to an area where I cant leave my car outside my house and also having our house windows smashed is a common occurrence. Could anybody here recomend good areas of Navan to move to? It doesnt have to be in the centre of Navan. Maybe a 5 mile radius of Navan town centre.

I would have a budget or around 340,000 (depending on what I get for my current home.. if I can even sell it) and I would be looking fora 4 bedroom semi.

Also if I did move out that bit further from Navan town centre what is the parking situation like if I drove to the bus depot in the mornings?

Thanks

Hi Gazzer,

Why don't you visit Navan on the weekend and have a walk around the estates and see what you think it is easy to tell which esates are good or bad, not sure about Navan I think it a pretty ok area but that N3 for traffic is crazy, it will take a good while to get home on the Bus plenty of traffic.

There is other options get the names of the housing estates and type them into www.google.ie this usually tells you a lot about anything.

Knock into a few houses in the estate and speak to the locals, also you can always ring the local Garda station and ask them about the estate in question, funny enough when I bought my house 2 months ago the Garda were very helpful, put on your best West Cork voice and they should help you.

Other than that best of luck, if your going to travel as far as Navan also look into Kells Co Meath as Kells is only 10 Miles further up the road

Hi Gazzar

I lived in Navan for two years and my sis lives there now.

I lived on the Trim Road and have to say it was all in all this was a good spot. THE Trim Road area is within walking distance of the town. Also it is on the same road as the train station they are talking about re-opening as part of the Dublin to Navan rail initiative. If you are looking here, I know there is a new road being built through one of the estates so you may wish to look into that further. (Can't remember it's name). You should get a nice 4 bed house, possibly detached, here for this money. It is also only about 10 mins from trim on this road- for a bit of a change.

I used to commute to Blanch to work and it would take me an average of 40 mins by car, and you do get used to the trip. Only thing was in the winter, I was meeting an accident on the road, on average, about once a week and there could be delays.

Personally I wouldn't get the bus from Navan. You would need to walk/cycle to the town centre to catch it every morning. Many of the buses originate in cavan or kells and are packed by the time they get to Navan. I did it a couple of times and to be honest I found it hell. They say it is ok coming from Busaras in the evening as long as the latest one you catch leaves at around 4.30pm.

Definitely invest in a car, if moving there. Have you also thought of Slane? I have heard people say that they find it quicker to commute to Dublin from there as you can go down the N2.

Some people prefer Trim, if commuting into Dublin.

Or Kilmessan- it is more rural, but is situated off the n3 maybe about 10 km nearer to Dublin (approx??). The Station House Hotel is here.

Johnstown area of Navan is very popular, espeiceally with people from Dublin. But to me it is over developed. However it is off the Dublin Road and has a SuperValu, takeaway, gym etc..Be careful also, I know Prime Time did a special on Johnstown a couple of years ago and I am not sure if the issue was resolved. It had to do with the developers not developing the green areas as advertised in the plans- residents were up in arms. They had promised various sports facilities and not delivered- please check this with a local estate agent though as this may now be resolved and they could provide you with the full and proper details.

Then there is the otherside of the river and out towards the Slane Road. Some very nice houses and schools nearby, but traffic can be absolute hell.

There is alovely riverside walk called the Ramparts across the river from the town. You can walk down the canal to Slane and beyond.

There are a lot of women who childmind from their house in Navan, which can be handy.

Hope this helps somewhat- it's a great little town, pity the planners didn't do a better job on how it has expanded over the last few years.

:)

I'd recommend Trim over Navan. Its a nice, quiet town, well kept by the Town Council (and thats rare for Meath !). It is a heritage town and so development is kept to a minimum.
There will be a new leisure centre and shops (this year I think).

I live midway between Navan and Trim in a rural area, and travel to both towns frequently. Definitely prefer Trim.

Very little anti-social behaviour. There is always some elements in every town but I know its nowhere near as bad as Blanch/Mulhuddard.

Trim has the Castle and plenty of old norman ruins in the town, also a good walkway along the Boyne.

I take the bus from Trim 3 days a week for the past 2 years, at peak times.

The bus takes 70 - 90 mins to get to O'Connell St. Some bottlenecks at Trim/N3 junction and Blanch/M50, but the bus has the buslane most of the way.
Busaras to Trim takes about 70 - 80mins, even on a bad day.

There are always plenty of seats on the bus both ways.

The proposed Navan rail link will have stops at Navan (2) and Kilmessan, near Trim. But thats years away yet.

The only thing I don't like are Meath drivers ! They are crap ! Always speeding and tail-gating.

If considering Trim what about Athboy. You can get a nice house there cheaper than Trim. It is smaller but it has a hotel, shops, takeaways etc.

A through and through Navan woman here. Some excellent previous posts and cannot disagree with anything that has been said in them. Navan has become hugely developed in the past few years which brings with it both advantages and disadvantages. Is it just yourself moving or are there children also involved? Needless to say the presence of schools, clubs, etc. would be a consideration then. Like every town there are areas to be avoided. With regarding to living a couple of miles outside the town - that would be totally down to preference. I, as a townie, personally could never imagine the quiet solitude of the country, there are others who could not survive living in an estate in a town. If you are considering any particular estate in the town just PM me and will give my own view on the area in question. Trim and Athboy are both lovely towns but think if I had children would prefer to be in Navan for the facilities which a larger town provides.

Thanks everybody for your help. I really appreciate it.

Navan, Trim and Athboy were the 3 areas I was thinking off to move. I just thought Navan would be better for a more frequent bus service.

I dont drive to work as I have no parking space and car parking charges are too expensive. What would the buses be like at around say 8.00 - 8.30? I have to be in work at 10am and I finish at 6.30.

I had looked at some properties in Slane but they seemed quiet expensive (maybe I should look again though).

Somebody else mentioned kids. Well I dont have any and wont be having any for a good few years yet. Meath would be a perfect spot to live in my opinion as I am from Dublin and my partner is from Cavan so it is a midway point for both of us.

My biggest fear is moving into a bad area but with all the advice I am getting here I am sure that wont happen.

Thanks again for your help. I just have to try and sell my existing house now

My boyfriends brother and his wife moved from Dublin to Navan 4 years ago and have never regretted it. They live in an estate called Balreask Manor which is really lovely with big houses. They love it there and they have great neighbours.

What would the buses be like at around say 8.00 - 8.30? I have to be in work at 10am and I finish at 6.30.

Navan has a more frequent bus service than Trim, especially in the evening. From Busaras, 6:30pm, 6:45pm, 7:00pm, 7:30pm. Navan is also served by the Kells bus.

Athboy is sometimes served by the Trim bus.

As for Trim town, buses (from Trim) are at 7:30am, 7:50am, 8:00am.

Your 6:30pm finish is too late for the Busaras -> Trim bus, unless you can meet it further on. Depends on how far u are from Busaras.

Their times are: 5:20pm, 5:30pm, 6:00pm, 6:30pm and, er, 8:30pm.

Timetables are supposed to improve 'sometime this year'.

I live in Navan near the racecourse. Traffic can be a nightmare. You should consider living on the Dublin side of Navan in Johnstown - lots of houses out there. It's a mini Dublin. I wouldn't recommend Trim. If you are commuting every day to town via the N3, it will be a NIGHTMARE trying to get out at Fairyhouse Cross

My boyfriends brother and his wife moved from Dublin to Navan 4 years ago and have never regretted it. They live in an estate called Balreask Manor which is really lovely with big houses. They love it there and they have great neighbours.

They are LOVELY houses and they are in a nice location for Navan town as well. Mind you, you mightn't get one for under €350k....

They are LOVELY houses and they are in a nice location for Navan town as well. Mind you, you mightn't get one for under €350k....

Would totally agree. Beautiful estate. See 4 for sale on myhome.ie cheapest two coming in at 370k for 3bed semi. Don't come cheaply for sure.

Route Planner (From Trim to Dublin)
Via: Ratoath
Time: 1 hr 16 min
Total Distance (Km): 51.82
convert to miles >>

Travel (Km) and then
to take total (Km)
0.0 Start out at Trim,Meath R161 0.0

0.1 Turn left onto Patrick Street Uncl. 0.1

0.5 Turn left onto Castle Street - R160 R160 0.6

0.1 Turn right onto the R154 R154 0.7

8.2 Continue forward onto Old Road - R154 Entering Batterjohn R154 8.9

6.3 Turn left onto the R125 R125 15.2

3.6 Continue forward onto Drumree Road - R125 Entering Dunshaughlin R125 18.7

5.8 Continue forward onto the R125 Entering Ratoath R125 24.6

0.1 At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the R125 R125 24.7

0.3 At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto Dunshaughlin Road - R125 R125 25.0

0.8 Turn left Uncl. 25.7

0.0 Turn right onto Glebe Lane Uncl. 25.8

0.0 Finish at Ratoath,Meath Uncl. 25.8

(End Section)
0.0 Start out at Ratoath,Meath Uncl. 25.8

0.0 Turn left Uncl. 25.8

0.0 Bear left onto Main Street - R125 R125 25.8

4.2 Continue forward onto Ratoath Road - R125 Entering Baltrasna R125 30.1

1.2 At roundabout take the 4th exit Uncl. 31.2

0.8 Branch left, then merge onto the N2 N2 32.0

11.3 At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto North Road - N2 (signposted City Centre, Finglas) N2 43.3

0.3 Continue forward onto North Road - N2 Entering Dublin N2 43.7

0.7 At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto Finglas Road - N2 N2 44.4

4.0 Turn left onto Prospect Way Uncl. 48.4

0.2 Turn right onto Botanic Road - R108 R108 48.6

0.2 Bear left onto Prospect Road - N2 N2 48.8

1.3 Continue forward onto Constitution Hill - R108 R108 50.0

0.5 Continue forward onto Church Street - N1 N1 50.5

0.5 Continue forward onto the R108 R108 51.1

0.0 Continue forward onto Lower Bridge Street Uncl. 51.1

0.1 Continue forward onto Upper Bridge Street Uncl. 51.2

0.1 Turn left onto High Street Uncl. 51.3

0.2 Turn left onto Christchurch Place - N81 N81 51.5

0.3 Finish at Dublin,Dublin N81 51.9

(End Section)

Route Planner (From Trim to Dublin)
Via: Ratoath
Time: 1 hr 16 min
Total Distance (Km): 51.82
convert to miles >>
Travel (Km) and then to take total (Km)
0.0 Start out at Trim,Meath R161 0.0
0.1 Turn left onto Patrick Street Uncl. 0.1
0.5 Turn left onto Castle Street - R160 R160 0.6
0.1 Turn right onto the R154 R154 0.7
8.2 Continue forward onto Old Road - R154 Entering Batterjohn R154 8.9
6.3 Turn left onto the R125 R125 15.2
3.6 Continue forward onto Drumree Road - R125 Entering Dunshaughlin R125 18.7
5.8 Continue forward onto the R125 Entering Ratoath R125 24.6
0.1 At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the R125 R125 24.7
0.3 At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto Dunshaughlin Road - R125 R125 25.0
0.8 Turn left Uncl. 25.7
0.0 Turn right onto Glebe Lane Uncl. 25.8
0.0 Finish at Ratoath,Meath Uncl. 25.8
(End Section)
0.0 Start out at Ratoath,Meath Uncl. 25.8
0.0 Turn left Uncl. 25.8
0.0 Bear left onto Main Street - R125 R125 25.8
4.2 Continue forward onto Ratoath Road - R125 Entering Baltrasna R125 30.1
1.2 At roundabout take the 4th exit Uncl. 31.2
0.8 Branch left, then merge onto the N2 N2 32.0
11.3 At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto North Road - N2 (signposted City Centre, Finglas) N2 43.3
0.3 Continue forward onto North Road - N2 Entering Dublin N2 43.7
0.7 At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto Finglas Road - N2 N2 44.4
4.0 Turn left onto Prospect Way Uncl. 48.4
0.2 Turn right onto Botanic Road - R108 R108 48.6
0.2 Bear left onto Prospect Road - N2 N2 48.8
1.3 Continue forward onto Constitution Hill - R108 R108 50.0
0.5 Continue forward onto Church Street - N1 N1 50.5
0.5 Continue forward onto the R108 R108 51.1
0.0 Continue forward onto Lower Bridge Street Uncl. 51.1
0.1 Continue forward onto Upper Bridge Street Uncl. 51.2
0.1 Turn left onto High Street Uncl. 51.3
0.2 Turn left onto Christchurch Place - N81 N81 51.5
0.3 Finish at Dublin,Dublin N81 51.9
(End Section)

And if that's not enough to put you off moving to Trim nothing will:p. Point 8.3 - no such place as Batterjohn - I presume it should be Batterstown!

Thanks for that route map. I could never do it. I don't like the sound of coming into Dunshaughlin and through Ratoath as well.

I live on the north side of Navan and go :-

Kingscourt Road => Dunmoe => Slane Road => Boyne River Drive => Beauparc => Yellow Furze => N2 => M50 South => Cabinteely

Takes me on average 1 hour 15 minutes. Not bad for a 52 mile trip

However, I must stress that I leave Navan at either 5.50 am or 9am to get to work. I'm lucky that I can do flexible hours. All bets are off when it is frosty as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Just have to say that the amount of people using Ratoath as a short cut through to the N2 means that it isn't a short cut anymore. I say keep Ratoath roads for Ratoath people only!!! No short-cutters allowed.;):)

Back