Going rate? Solicitors fee for selling a house.

How much would you expect a solicitor to charge for a sale and purchase? I just used a solicitor to sell a house only and it came to 9k ...?

I’m surprised to hear people quoting similar fees for both buying and selling. My experience of both has been low fees for selling (e.g. €1-2k) and much higher fees for buying (e.g. €5-10k).

I’m surprised to hear people quoting similar fees for both buying and selling. My experience of both has been low fees for selling (e.g. €1-2k) and much higher fees for buying (e.g. €5-10k).
Seems high to me . Does that purchase fees include stamp duty?

I appreciate it's a cost associated with purchasing and handled by a solicitor but they have no discretion in the rate.

For sale and purchase combined.

€3900 fee plus VAT
Plus €850 for charges - land registry and searches.
Plus Stamp Duty.
Plus outstanding portion of LPT on purchase (but retrieved from sale).

How much would you expect a solicitor to charge for a sale and purchase? I just used a solicitor to sell a house only and it came to 9k ...?
Marcia,

I sold a house in the last two years.

Sol fee = 1200 + 23% VAT = 1,476

As an executor, I sold a house last year, the solicitor's legal fee was €2,000 plus vat. The solicitor who held the will and assumed he would be getting the job quoted a legal fee of €7,000 plus vat.

My daughter bought a house this year and paid a legal fee of €1,700 plus vat.

The variations here seem to be fairly wild, I am surprised. 9k for a sale and buy! Presumably some people are including stamp duty as part of the fees being quoted….

Were there problems with deeds or paperwork/planning issues? Was the house extraordinarily expensive? Did it include stamp duty? If not that's a criminally excessive fee and depending on your answers to the other questions I would be reporting the solicitor to the law society.

Doing a mortgage switch, €800 plus vat plus outlays of another €175.

might be worth posting here Fantana.

Gekko, the buying fee quoted often contains stamp duty. Mine certainly did. That needs to be removed. So the costs should be similiar?

€4.4K for buying and selling, plus VAT, outlays and Stamp Duty. Experienced and reliable solicitor. I know we could probably have got cheaper but it would have been more of a "leap in the dark".

For sale and purchase combined.

€3900 fee plus VAT
Plus €850 for charges - land registry and searches.
Plus Stamp Duty.
Plus outstanding portion of LPT on purchase (but retrieved from sale).
Hi there,
Could you possibly private message me on who you possibly used? as I'm doing same. Thank you so much.

Hi there,
Could you possibly private message me on who you possibly used? as I'm doing same. Thank you so much.
As a new member you will not be able to send or receive PMs yet, but regular users are permitted to post recommendations publicly.

Back