Going rate? Solicitors fee for selling a house.

justo

Dublin area - What's the going rate for solicitors' professional fee to sell a house? (i.e. not including additional miscellaneous costs)

I'm not sure if there is a 'going rate' but i think it's somewhat of a 'you get what you pay for' situation. I've done it on the cheap and hugely regretted it, and i've paid a little over the odds and been delighted with the service.
I don't think it's something to scrimp on. Ideally, try to get a recommendation from somebody you trust.

Get an agreed fee (including VAT) upfront, not a percentage of the price the house sells for. There's no more work for the solicitor if the value of the house is 800k vs 200k so the fee should be the same in each case.

Get an agreed fee (including VAT) upfront, not a percentage of the price the house sells for. There's no more work for the solicitor if the value of the house is 800k vs 200k so the fee should be the same in each case.

I would be interested in this too along with similar auctioneer fees for selling a house. I know it is a variable feast but surely there is a rough average to expect for both fees assuming a straightforward simple conveyance?

I would be interested in this too along with similar auctioneer fees for selling a house. I know it is a variable feast but surely there is a rough average to expect for both fees assuming a straightforward simple conveyance?
I paid 2500 plus VAT buying my first house, that was a good few years ago and have moved since but can't remember how much of solicitors fee that time was to sell the house, as it also included the new purchase.

2019: I got quotes from €1100 to €1500 (plus VAT) for the completion of a sale of a house (I'm in the Cork area - but one quote was actually from a solicitor who was based in Dublin)

Looking for a solicitor in cork to do a remortgage. Not getting relies from anyone I've email or leave messages asking for a price. Dunno what to do.

Dublin area - What's the going rate for solicitors' professional fee to sell a house? (i.e. not including additional miscellaneous costs)

'Going' rate in Dublin now is around €2K.
Son just went through it and he rang about 8 -10 solicitors, ranged from circa €1.7 to €2.3 K.
In the end he went with a recommendation .

I used the same guy for purchase sale and remortgage and it was the same fee each time plus vat and outlay, here it is below, i doubt his fees have gone up that much:

Sols fee sale = 1,100 plus 23% vat plus approx 120 legal outlays
Sols fee purchase = 1,100 plus 23% vat – in addition outlays = closing searches and property registration charges approx 800 euro

I queried a few not so long ago and most were at pretty much the same bar Sherry Fitz who were looking for 2%.
That's a big increase! I sold through them in 2019 and it was 1.7% plus Vat then. There was about 500 additional marketing costa paid up front, again plus Vat.

Solicitor was €1650 professional fee, plus about 200 outlay, plus Vat. I think I got far better value from him!

In fairness to SherryFitz, they kept in touch very well and the ongoing feedback on viewings and offers was exemplary. The photography, brochure and sales blurb was very good - so good I hardly recognised my own house! I suspect we'd have achieved a similar sale price with a cheaper agent but who knows?

Last year a very efficient solicitor who promptly returned calls and replied to emails charged a legal fee of €2k plus vat plus outlays for house sale.

Most estate agents seem to have a base rate which they might increase for a lower value property and decrease for a higher value property..

DNG and Lisney both said their base rate was 1.5%, as this was a higher value Dublin property both quoted 1% plus vat plus marketing.

I'm looking for a remortgage solicitor, the prices are dearer than I thought. Three replies so far, €750 plus vat plus 460 in charges. €900 plus vat plus 380 in charges. Don't know why charges are different.

In fairness to SherryFitz, they kept in touch very well and the ongoing feedback on viewings and offers was exemplary. The photography, brochure and sales blurb was very good - so good I hardly recognised my own house! I suspect we'd have achieved a similar sale price with a cheaper agent but who knows?

I had a really good experience with Sherry Fitzgerald.

House sold for 20% over asking.

I think a lot of this was circumstances and timing. But SF's marketing is a cut above, and the agent was really responsive. For the sake of half a percentage point I would go with them again.

+1 for Sherry Fitz. I find them so much better and more trustworthy than some of the others.
Try ask them if they have a wriggle room on the fee. They had for us once we asked.

Am I missing something here?
The Op posed:-
What's the going rate for solicitors' professional fee to sell a house?

All the mentions of different EA's ? Sherry Fitz/ DNG/ Lisney etc.
Have they all started doing conveyancing of title now, or are they just recommending a solicitor ?
Either way, isn't there a conflict of interest ?

Or is it just another thread gone off topic?

Am I missing something here?
All the mentions of different EA's ? Sherry Fitz/ DNG/ Lisney etc.
Have they all started doing conveyancing of title now, or are they just recommending a solicitor ?
Either way, isn't there a conflict of interest ?

Or is it just another thread gone off topic?
Another poster was also interested in solicitors fees and also asked about estate agents fees as well. Just trying to be helpful and answer both. Why not?

Another poster was also interested in solicitors fees and also asked about estate agents fees as well. Just trying to be helpful and answer both. Why not?

* Because this can and often does, lead to a thread being brought so far off topic that the original title bears little or no relevance to what is actually being discussed. This makes for troublesome searching in the future, for information pertinent to a user's question or problem.

It is also 'impolite' and usually frowned upon to hijack someone else's post.

There is a reason for the 'Post Thread' gadget.

* BTW, both you and I are in danger of doing this now.

Back