Glowpower has increased prices by 50% but I am stuck in a contract with them!

I shopped around using Bonkers and individual providers' sites and ended up switching from Glow Power to Electric Ireland. Based on the current respective tariffs and my annual usage I stand to save over €200. Obviously I have to pay the €50 early exit fee to Glow Power.

Ok, the final account has arrived.

It includes the €50 exit fee so I have a complaint written and ready to send in.

To add insult to injury they have also added VAT to the €50 - I am questioning that as well since it is not "Electricity (energy products and supplies) as per the VAT rates database.

I can't wait to get away from them.

One less DD to cancel as I move from Ulster Bank to my new AIB current account....

Well, it worked!

I sent in a complaint yesterday and got a new invoice this morning without the €50+VAT charge on it. No correspondence (as yet), just a new invoice.

If anyone is in the same boat and wants a copy of my email send me a DM and I will send you it.

Anyone know if the other providers also charge VAT on exit fees? I'm assuming they shouldn't.

I have now received an email saying that they had the right to charge the exit fee but would waive it in my case.

Reactions: Leo
Anyone know if the other providers also charge VAT on exit fees? I'm assuming they shouldn't.
I've a strange one also about VAT. Joined Panda Power last year and got €100 cashback. They rang before move due and said they would give me a new deal. I asked for the same price per unit as last year and they said OK but you only get €50 cashback. I said OK. I now notice I got credit of €44.05. So they are now saying the credit is the same but includes VAT (I think). I checked my history and the one last year comes up as €100 credit. So sounds like their credit terms have changed slightly. :mad:

From Glowpower...Anyone made the switch?

Some very good news for our loyal customers.

Given that prices seem to be going up and up, we’ve teamed up with Bord Gais Energy (BGE) to entice you to an offer we think is hard to beat.

Firstly, thank you for being a loyal customer of Glowpower. We set about to introduce competitive pricing in the Irish energy market, but with wholesale electricity rates becoming unsustainably high, we have had to raise prices several times this year and we believe more price rises are on the way.

To protect our loyal customer base, and in the interest of genuine customer care, we are recommending that you switch supplier and move to Bord Gáis Energy (BGE) now to avoid our next price increase due on the 28th October. This gives you an opportunity to switch to a very competitive plan with a trusted Irish energy provider before our next price rise which is set for 28th of October.

By switching to Bord Gáis Energy you’ll be on BGE’s recently announced price freeze until quarter 2, 2022, and for customers with gas, they also offer dual fuel benefits as well as a generous rewards scheme. We’ll waive any of our termination fees as part of this switch.

Glowerpower say that they have had to increase prices several times this year.....I have never been notified by email or otherwise of any of these price rises. I have no idea what price I am switching from and to what plan....if I choose to switch.

I can't wait to get away from them. Nothing but a headache since I switched via Bonkers.

I just need to confirm that this is not a scam email to get my bank account details.

Incidentally, I have never been notified of any price increases coming due despite signing up for online billing. They don't even say in their above email what they will be increasing their tariff to on the 28th October. Why not?

Why are they inviting people to switch.....if they are staying in the market themselves?

Are they just getting rid of customers on certain tariffs?

Not making sense.

Email seems genuine.
Would they be about to close shop and are directing existing customers to a 'preferred' competitor so the closing down admin overhead is smaller?
I heard utility companies in the UK are closing down.
I intend to switch in the coming days.

You are being invited to switch to Bord Gais but there is a better rate out there.

I also notice that the Bord Gais Fixed charge is about €220 a year. My fixed charge with Glow Power was about €170.

So you might pay slightly less in unit charge but more in the fixed charge if you switch.

Has anybody done the sums?

Has anybody done the sums?

I created a little spreadsheet to do it a few years ago. It was fun to create and it has proved very useful when the time comes to investigate the range of offers available. The essential thing to know is your estimated annual unit consumption (in my case, day and night) as that determines everything. This can easily be found from looking at two bills 12 months apart and subtracting.

I'm interested in seeing what changes having a so-called smart meter will bring (assuming that I'll eventually get one) as I understand that it may be capable of sourcing the cheapest seller of electricity at any given time - or is that bunkum?

This is what Glow Power said in their Terms and Conditions about price increases. I was never notified "two ways" about any of their 2021 price increases.

"09. Changing Pricing and this Agreement Unless you are on a fixed price contract, we are entitled to change the price of electricity. If we do so, you will be given 30 days notice in advance of the date the variations are due to take effect and notified in two ways from the following methods: • In writing on or with your bill, • By email, SMS text message or by letter • Mass Media (TV, radio, newspaper advertisement) • Website"

Back