Glowpower has increased prices by 50% but I am stuck in a contract with them!

I'm pretty sure that they would have posted information on the price increases on their website (one) and in a press release (two)

My electric supply company was up until recently GlowPower. We were invited to switch from GlowPower to BordGais by Glowpower in October.
I decided to make the switch because I found dealing with GlowPower a nightmare experience.

I recently received my final bill from GlowPower and it is an estimated bill. I was waiting to be asked for a final meter reading on a specific date from GlowPower that never happened.

How can a company issue a final meter reading....estimated?

I recently received my final bill from GlowPower and it is an estimated bill. I was waiting to be asked for a final meter reading on a specific date from GlowPower that never happened.

How can a company issue a final meter reading....estimated?

I assume that GlowPower hopes that the estimated readings bill will, if too high, trigger you into sending in an accurate meter reading, whereas if it's too low, then you'll simply pay it and move on!

I assume that GlowPower hopes that the estimated readings bill will, if too high, trigger you into sending in an accurate meter reading, whereas if it's too low, then you'll simply pay it and move on!
Unfortunately, I cannot go back in time and give a meter reading for the 10th November when my account with GlowPower, closed and was taken over by Bord Gais.

Unfortunately, I cannot go back in time and give a meter reading for the 10th November when my account with GlowPower, closed and was taken over by Bord Gais.
Did you not have to provide Bod Gais with a meter reading when they took over the account??
Are they going to be using estimated readings for your first bill??

Did you not have to provide Bod Gais with a meter reading when they took over the account??
Are they going to be using estimated readings for your first bill??
No. Neither GlowPower or BordGais asked me for a meter reading. I have received my last bill from GlowPower which was estimated. I have not yet received my first bill from BordGais.

I have contacted both to explain to me what the situation is. The last email that I sent to GlowPower still remains unanswered.

And yet you inform us that "I have contacted both to explain to me what the situation is." So perhaps you could have used the same technology to send them your final meter reading - or even - and I appreciate that this is really challenging - filed it online before your account closed.

And yet you inform us that "I have contacted both to explain to me what the situation is." So perhaps you could have used the same technology to send them your final meter reading - or even - and I appreciate that this is really challenging - filed it online before your account closed.
It can take over three weeks to close an account and open a new account. As far as I am aware Glowpower invited people to switch to Bord Gais, without penalty. They should have had a proper system in place.
A person never knows the exact date one account closes and the other account opens. Maybe if one or either of the companies had bothered to inform their customers of the transfer of business date then their customer could have sent them a final meter reading.
When I was with Glowpower you could not send a meter reading online, because their system was always down and never fixed.

There is no excuse for sending estimated meter readings to customers when accounts are being closed. There should be a system in place to have exact readings.

The 10th on November isn't that long ago. Measure how many units you use in a day then multiply by number of days and subtract from the current reading. Contact both providers to state that is the switchover reading to use.

Neither GlowPower or BordGais asked me for a meter reading.
I am in the exact same position. I was really suprised that Bord Gais didn't ask for my meter reading when I completed the online changeover. I haven't received my final bill from Glowpower but expect it soon. I would expect to hear that they are leaving the market soon..

I was really suprised that Bord Gais didn't ask for my meter reading when I completed the online changeover
They ask you to complete a survey about the service you received on changeover.. I think that this is the time to mention this.

I got my latest estimated bill from GlowPower this week. It is identical to the penny as last months estimated bill. What are the chances of this happening?
I would say "nil".

I have contacted them a couple of times by email about different matters and I have received no response.

I am in the exact same position. I was really suprised that Bord Gais didn't ask for my meter reading when I completed the online changeover. I haven't received my final bill from Glowpower but expect it soon.
I just checked my final Glowpower bill and I see that my closing charge per kWh was .3209 but my previous bill was charged at .1829 and .2213 per kWh. So, I am paying a higher price for my electricity based on an estimated closing bill.

When I start receiving my bills from Bord Gais I will be paying .1608 per kWh.

I would have preferred an actual reading of my meter and paid a lesser tariff to Glowpower based on actual usage up to the cut off and then transferred to Bord Gais and continued on their lower tariff.

I just checked my final Glowpower bill and I see that my closing charge per kWh was .3209 but my previous bill was charged at .1829 and .2213 per kWh. So, I am paying a higher price for my electricity based on an estimated closing bill.

When I start receiving my bills from Bord Gais I will be paying .1608 per kWh.

I would have preferred an actual reading of my meter and paid a lesser tariff to Glowpower based on actual usage up to the cut off and then transferred to Bord Gais and continued on their lower tariff.
Can you still submit a reading and have the bill corrected?

According to this, your meter should be read 4 times a year.

I don't think that I have had an actual meter reading once in 9 months from Glow Power.

I would have thought that your final bill would have included an actual meter reading.
It's ESB networks that read the meters. They pass the readings on to the supplier you have. They have no control over it.

Btw, good news, gas prices have dropped dramatically this week, so prices will start falling back in the new year

It's ESB networks that read the meters. They pass the readings on to the supplier you have. They have no control over it.
But is it a case that some companies could not be bothered to differentiate between estimated and actual readings and couldn't be bothered to quote actual readings on customers bills? If they have been given this information why not pass it on? Too much work?

The CRU should insist that the actual readings are to be passed on to the customer rather than estimated readings.

I was one of those people that opted to switch from Glowpower to Bord Gais. I was not asked to submit a final meter reading....but got an estimated bill, as a final bill.

I have queried why they did this but have not responded to my email. That was two months ago now.

Back