Glowpower has increased prices by 50% but I am stuck in a contract with them!

ClubMan

I shopped around using Bonkers and individual providers' sites and ended up switching from Glow Power to Electric Ireland. Based on the current respective tariffs and my annual usage I stand to save over €200. Obviously I have to pay the €50 early exit fee to Glow Power.

Mrs Vimes

Ok, the final account has arrived.

It includes the €50 exit fee so I have a complaint written and ready to send in.

To add insult to injury they have also added VAT to the €50 - I am questioning that as well since it is not "Electricity (energy products and supplies) as per the VAT rates database.

almostthere

I can't wait to get away from them.

One less DD to cancel as I move from Ulster Bank to my new AIB current account....

Mrs Vimes

Well, it worked!

I sent in a complaint yesterday and got a new invoice this morning without the €50+VAT charge on it. No correspondence (as yet), just a new invoice.

If anyone is in the same boat and wants a copy of my email send me a DM and I will send you it.

Anyone know if the other providers also charge VAT on exit fees? I'm assuming they shouldn't.

Mrs Vimes

I have now received an email saying that they had the right to charge the exit fee but would waive it in my case.

Reactions: Leo

elcato

Anyone know if the other providers also charge VAT on exit fees? I'm assuming they shouldn't.
I've a strange one also about VAT. Joined Panda Power last year and got €100 cashback. They rang before move due and said they would give me a new deal. I asked for the same price per unit as last year and they said OK but you only get €50 cashback. I said OK. I now notice I got credit of €44.05. So they are now saying the credit is the same but includes VAT (I think). I checked my history and the one last year comes up as €100 credit. So sounds like their credit terms have changed slightly. :mad: