Gifts for Teachers

Lee May

Any suggestions for gifts for teachers that don't leave any clutter behind ie consumable gifts please. Three kids with numerous teachers. Thanks

It's becoming more common now for a collection to be done by parents ... and one communal present bought for the teacher. The parents of my daughters class have given €10 each for teacher end of year present ... cuts out having to buy a gift which we would probably have to spend up to €20 on ... and teacher gets a voucher rather than 30 diff presents some of which would be clutter.
If it's too late to organise this i would suggest a good bottle of wine/sparkling wine.

I do not agree with giving cash or doing a collection for teacher - enough monetary demands on parents as it is.
How about baking some biscuits/scones or something with your kids and letting them present it to the teacher - this way the kids can take huge pride in handing it over.

I wouldn't contribute to a collection because I know that the teachers in our school would be mortified (I'm on the BOM). I wouldn't give most of the teachers chocolates either 'cos they're all skinny little things always on diets.:rolleyes:

A bottle of wine or something obviously chosen by the child (or made) would usually go down well. Chocs are good if she doesn't look like she (or he) is on a diet.

How can u LOOK like your on a diet??? ha :D

I have no idea :p

Rumour at our school gates is that Ms *name* is on such and such a diet and Ms *name* won't let x, y, or z, past her lips cos heaven forbid she puts something onto those hips. Not an ounce on the lot of them and they make us mere mortals feel fat, under dressed and like we need to get our roots done.

I kid you not, Mr Bubbly actually commented once "If I knew her teacher looked like that I'd take her to school myself!"

To begin with, I don't agree with these presents...I do get presents for coachs & cub leaders etc, as they are giving their time voluntarily.

Rumour at our school gates is that Ms *name* is on such and such a diet and Ms *name* won't let x, y, or z, past her lips cos heaven forbid she puts something onto those hips.

I would be horrified if the kids were aware of this - there is so much pressure put on kids about size, shape, weight....the last thing they need is teachers re-enforcing it.

Two years ago the teaching staff at my local school decided to send a letter to all parents thanking them for presents given to teachers in the past but to please discontinue the practice as teachers did not expect it. Not all parents could afford to buy presents and this could be embarrassing for their children when asked by others "what did u buy for teacher"?. A nice hand made card or a polite thank you means a lot to any of us.

I would be horrified if the kids were aware of this - there is so much pressure put on kids about size, shape, weight....the last thing they need is teachers re-enforcing it.

Gawd no! just us mums talking amongst ourselves at school gates, morning coffee, that sort of thing.

=A bottle of wine or something obviously chosen by the child (or made) would usually go down well. =.

Apparently not appropriate for obvious reasons ( if I were to give wine it would be from me not my child and pas devant les enfants)

Present? Are you mad. They get a couple of months hols and then return to a 2.5% increase in wages in September. That is a good enough present for them. They then spend the remainder of the year *****ing about stress and awkward pupils.

Apparently not appropriate for obvious reasons ( if I were to give wine it would be from me not my child and pas devant les enfants)

I was never comfortable with the idea of sending my children out with a bottle of wine tucked under their arms. Have to admit though, I've done it at Christmas when I got caught short and just grabbed one.

My kids usually get their teacher some smellies, flowers, candles or pot pourri, not exactly original but it's the thought that counts.

Present? Are you mad. They get a couple of months hols and then return to a 2.5% increase in wages in September. That is a good enough present for them. They then spend the remainder of the year *****ing about stress and awkward pupils.

Funny but so true!

I guess thought its up to the individual parents, I asked my daughter if she wanted me to get her Teacher a gift this year (3rd Class) and it was an emphatic no, due to a notion she has of the Teacher as an emotionally unbalanced sadist (which I don't think she is but being around kids constantly seems to have brought her maturity level down to about 5) so I was off the hook so to speak.

ohhh bitter!!!

Back