George Mordaunt on RTE Taking Care of Business - tonight - Thursday 29 August

HI Jane

That appeal was heard and I have been told that the appeal was rejected.

But I could find no court record for it.

Brendan

i am quite sure it is under appeal.it is appealed to the courts yes? He said on Tipp FM he did not recognise the employment appeals tribunal

http://thepeninsulairelandblog.file.../beary-v-mordaunt-sons-limited-ud375-2011.pdf

Interesting to see from that doc that George dealt with repossessed vehicles. I hope he had lots and lots of sympathy for those that were left without....I mean, we need people like them to have vehicles in order to get the economy going again and provide employment!!!

HI Jane

That appeal was heard and I have been told that the appeal was rejected.

But I could find no court record for it.

Brendan
ok i did not know that. Will the tribunal say if that is true, is it publc knowledge?

BTW well done you kicked it into him re the house on the radio show and he hid behind his confidentiality agreement with the bank, Why does he go on radio if he cannot answer pertinent questions.? He seems to say what he wants but if challenged on anything retreats to the confidentiality agreement. there does not sem to be a journalist in the country with the balls to call him

Last edited:
Hi Importer

I was surprised that so much was made of Sky. He suggested cutting it down to the basic package which would have saved George around €40 a month. With a debt of €18m, that should be of no interest to the bankers

I have heard George on the radio saying that he had to get rid of Sky Sports at the insistence of the banks. I wonder if this was correct and if he was conflating it with the advice from Tommy?

Then I wondered if Tommy was making a point for TV audiences. But to be fair to them, they were very complimentary of the banks saying that the banks are trying to keep SMEs in business.

The Sky Sports discussion was completely out of place so I wonder if it was manufactured for entertainment purposes?

Well, it looks like he got to keep Sky Sports but still is'nt happy!!!
https://twitter.com/GMordaunt/status/418398067575230465
Very pi**ed to be a full @SkySports subscriber & can't watch any of the matches on today. No need for @SkySports now
It's all @btsport.

George is on Newstalk now discussing his financial crisis. Said he pulled the trigger on the business despite the advice and mentoring he got from the experts, as he was fed up waiting.
Also said he's never been in court to have a judgement made against him.

A year or so ago he came across a Snr AIB exec standing outside the gate to his house with a map of the area, looking for George's house. Apparently he wanted to see it and know what it was like.
George resents all the pressure he has come under to give up his home and has letters/assurances before he entered the debt resolution process to say his home was protected.

Ivan keeps on to him saying that bankruptcy would have been the better choice, rather than a judgement

1 of his solutions to the current consumer crisis is for inter-generational mortgages!

Thanks Delboy

Caught most of that.

Yates was dead right. Mordaunt should have gone bankrupt years ago. In fact, he should have gone to the UK. He would be debt free now. He says that he can still go bankrupt. Of course he can, but he won't be debt free for three years from now.

He spoke about non-recourse guarantees and "all sums" guarantees. I haven't heard of a guarantee which excluded the family home, but maybe banks did give them.

Brendan

He certainly plugged the books and the latest car business enough times during that slot.

I really liked the piece when it was put to him that a lot of people were critical of him and his debts been written off. It was'nt Geroge Mordaunt in Tipperary that pushed this country over the brink he said!!!, but instead we should focus our ire on FF and Brian Cowen etc, skulling pints instead of running the country!

Good man George, good man

He wants to keep his mansion.

But at what cost?

If the bank agrees to write off all his debts after x years, but leave him in his family home with plenty of positive equity, then that might be ok.

But if he is hugely insolvent, and probably has a mortgage on his home in excess of its value, he should have gone bankrupt.

Brendan

Back