George Mordaunt on RTE Taking Care of Business - tonight - Thursday 29 August

His only obvious talent seems to be an ability to waffle on in the face of logic. .

I was very impressed with George and would back him in a heart beat.

Interesting how two people, could see the same thing, and could get two completely contrasting views of George.

Dr Debt

I appreciate that the "heart beat" is a throwaway comment, but there is a chance that Slim has called it correctly and that you have been taken in by the waffle.

You may be right to back him, but you would need to check him out a bit first.

As it happens the Simpsons is on the basic package so his "think of the children" argument was flawed.

I suppose there's no possibility the bulk of that sky package is spent on something more George centered like Sky Sports.

Hi ashambles, I presume George watches the Simpsons as well.

To the people who say that he doesn't know how to run a business "because he lost millions in Ireland's biggest bust" that is even more tripe.
Thousands of good business people lost money in Ireland's biggest bust (George included) What we need to do is look at how he ran that business before the bust. By all accounts a wonderful success.

I think perhaps you should read up a bit more on George and his 'success' during the boom. There's threads on here about him offering more detail.

As someone said above, anyone could have sold cars during the false boom. It was child's play.
He admitted last night that every property play he made at home and abroad were a disaster.
He admitted in his book to buying 25k worth of bank shares on the tarmac at Dublin airport as he jetted off on an expensive family holiday. He lost all that.
And there's a lot more outlined elsewhere about helicopters etc.
So do look at how he ran the business before the bust and you will probably have a very different opinion.

He seems to have being a disaster at everything he turned his hand to. But by publicising himself and his problems, he has gained publicity and probably a short career on the motivational speech circuit (Ireland's not big enough to keep someone going at that forever). I believe all the publicity has allowed him to get some notoriety and thus extra leverage with the banks, which has allowed him to keep his 'trophy' family home and a very good lifestyle, well above the average middle class family in this country.

It remains to be seen how his new car business will go. I genuinely hope he succeeds and time will tell. I don't begrudge anyone making money and being a success.
But telling everyone that the country needs 'people like me' is a step too far

What we need to do is look at how he ran that business before the bust. By all accounts a wonderful success.

To be honest Dr. Debt I am still not sure if your post is ironic, trolling or your views.

The business was built in a bubble backed by massive debt with no sustainable plan. On a day to day basis the margins and operations of the business were not being managed. The car business was rapidly expanding but he still managed to distract himself with an international property portfolio. It is true that he had created up to 65 jobs but they were not sustainable, such enterprise is not good for those employees or our economy.

There were well run businesses that have failed due to the financial crisis and the economic downturn, I am not convinced that Mordaunt's was 'a wonderful success'.

Brendan

I am not saying that I have called it right however I'm not usually taken in by waffle either.

I spend a lot of time dealing with senior personnel and believe me when I tell you that this is the kind of guy you want to make things happen in your organisation

Before he went on the show last night, clearly a lot of people had heard about him and know about him including yourself (his ability to promote is fantastic) his ability to use the media, the radio, the TV to his full advantage is gobsmacking.
His communication skills are very good and I can only conclude that the bank who cut him the deal shared my view, otherwise he would have been shut down.

Let's keep an eye on him and see who's right.

The business was built in a bubble backed by massive debt with no sustainable plan. On a day to day basis the margins and operations of the business were not being managed.

Hi ontour

It was actually worse than that.

He took over his father's long established, successful business and ran it into the ground. A lot of car businesses went spectacularly bust, and this might have gone anyway, but George certainly ensured it.

I don't know the background, but it's possible that George bought the business from his father with money borrowed from the bank, so the dad may be ok. It's also possible that the Dad owns the premises and leased it to the car trading company. This would explain how George is still on site with his online business.

As I said already above, George would be the very valuable and very scarce resource of any organisation, the creative guy, the entrepreneur, the ideas man, the guy with the vision and the strategy.

Alongside him as I've said already you need a strong manager to control "the margins" and look after all the housekeeping issues and to control the entrepreneur.

Managers are ten a penny, Entrepreneurs like George are scarcer than hens teeth.

The Entrepreneur is the rain maker, the manager is the house keeper. Nothing happens without the Entrepreneur. WE NEED ENTREPRENEURS

Dr Debt

I agree with you 100% about the need for ideas guys and entrepreneurs.

But I very much doubt that George is the guy. He is a waffler and there is no evidence of any business skills. It's not enough to come up with ideas. It's not enough to set up a business. It has to be a viable business.

To focus on the positive, even though George's attitude had a deluded sense of entitlement he did continue to engage with the banks to resolve the debt rather than running away. He may not have agreed with all of the advice of the presenters but he did engage professional advice. He has started a new business which is paying wages so he is not relying on state benefits.

If George can recover from the mess he put himself in, it has to be a motivation to more competent business people!

Entrepreneurs have the skills and initiative necessary to take good new ideas to market and make the right decisions to make the idea profitable.

Just a thought but as it wasn't live TV, perhaps the program editors nudged reality in the direction they wanted it to go.

George was the biggest waffler that I ever heard.
He admitted that everything he tries had turned to disaster.
I certainly would not be backing George with a cent of my money.

Don,t like the word Entrepreneur, don,t like wafflers, don,t rate media performers .
George seems to fall into my 3 dislikes.

Instead of Entrepreneur can I suggest that those of us in Self-Employed land be called

UNDERTAKERS !

We can then leave Entrepreneurs at it !

As I said already above, George would be the very valuable and very scarce resource of any organisation, the creative guy, the entrepreneur, the ideas man, the guy with the vision and the strategy.

Alongside him as I've said already you need a strong manager to control "the margins" and look after all the housekeeping issues and to control the entrepreneur.

Managers are ten a penny, Entrepreneurs like George are scarcer than hens teeth.

The Entrepreneur is the rain maker, the manager is the house keeper. Nothing happens without the Entrepreneur. WE NEED ENTREPRENEURS

Glad to see someone defend George to some extent. I've heard him on radio a few years ago. At one stage he was on the verge of suicide. Before deciding to keep fighting for his life, family, business and all he could save.
I admire him for keeping fighting on. Regardless of whether it's the smartest thing to do.

Hi Rich

It has been a very misguided fight.

If he had simply opted for bankruptcy, he would have a fresh slate now and could earn a living and keep all the money for himself and his family.

Brendan

If he had simply opted for bankruptcy, he would have a fresh slate now and could earn a living and keep all the money for himself and his family.

Saying this Brendan is fine. But would he be able to get a line of credit from a Financial Institution, after his bankruptcy ??

Dr Debt

I agree with you 100% about the need for ideas guys and entrepreneurs.

But I very much doubt that George is the guy. He is a waffler and there is no evidence of any business skills. It's not enough to come up with ideas. It's not enough to set up a business. It has to be a viable business.
George is a waffler all right and when he waffles it is all about him and how he
failed at all his jobs
blames someone else
still deserves everything

When his Renault dealership business was going [broken link removed]

And sure some back him. They are the very people in the same position who want someone to get leverage through the media with the banks
others who gambled and do not want to pay their debts. The y want someone who will put a spin on it andmake them look good. if the two guys were any good they would have challenged him but instead they are soft on the banks

Saying this Brendan is fine. But would he be able to get a line of credit from a Financial Institution, after his bankruptcy ??

Hi mercman

He is not going to get a line of credit from any financial institution for a long time to come.

Brendan

Was there any mention in the show of the case his company was involved in concerning unfair dismissal and wholly unacceptable manner in which the company treated a former employee? Can't post a link yet....

Was there any mention in the show of the case his company was involved in concerning unfair dismissal and wholly unacceptable manner in which the company treated a former employee? Can't post a link yet....
No but that is in the legal process

Back