General cost of getting cavity walls filled

My house is a 5 bedroom 2,400sq ft house and it only cost 1100 with vat and then cheaper with the grant, all the quotes here seem quite high. Well worth doing, our house keeps the heat in now and is no longer an igloo

I like this sort of price. Thought some of the others were very high too.

Coudl you PM me your location?

I'm in Castleknock,Dublin. i can't remember the name of the company nor can find any paperwork but they had an office here and in the north as far as i remember and i got them from the sustainable energy website on their list of approved people. They came with a huge truck filled with the beads and were in and out in a few hours. Sorry from memory i think they were two initials like JP insulation but could be wrong

Mine is a dormer and we got it done about a month ago and there wasnt a problem. Cant remember the cost though!

re:

Hi all,

The prices i got where as follows 1750 euro for attic insulation and the walls pumped, house size is 2200 square feet, 3 storey. House does be freezing during the winter so i hope their is a big difference.

I tried 3 recommended installers in laois and i am currently in the process of getting it done, will let you know if their are improvements.

Excess of 2000 seems quit a lot.

Kind Regards
Fergal.

Last edited:
Fred,any news on the success or otherwise of the experience?
Would be interested in your feedback
Eoin

I had a quote today from a company who supply platinum bead to pump the walls and do the attic. I was pleasantly surprised to find to quote E1800 for wall and attic - hopefully we will notice a difference this winter. All of the other quotes were E2500 up to E2700 for the normal bead, size of house is 2800 square foot - it does pay to shop around.

Angela59

Keep us up to date with how you find the work, and then the effects/improvements come the cold weather.

Keep us up to date with how you find the work, and then the effects/improvements come the cold weather.

Will do - have booked him for 24th October - so will report back - hopefully it is worth it. He is doing the attic for E514 - other quotes for attic were double this - we already have pipes lagged and there is 100 mill of insulation there already - he is putting 200 mill on top and sorting out the water tank.

Angela59

I see Bord Gais are doing a deal for people to get loft insulation and cavity walls pumped for €1480. They handle the grant etc for you.

A good deal?

getting the house done tomorrow so i will give full feedback straight away, i will try to post results over the coming months also.

shop around

I see Bord Gais are doing a deal for people to get loft insulation and cavity walls pumped for €1480. They handle the grant etc for you.

A good deal?

Not sure what size or type house that is for but they quoted my mother 2300 before Grant for 1600 sq ft 3 bed semi, I got 5 quotes for 2000 sq ft former and ranged from 2000 to 1500, and they told me that we wouldn't qualify for Grant as It's former, 1 crowd said we would get grant for walls but not attic as it doesn't have the required spec of insulation on sloped roof that goes from side attics to top attic, but since found out you have to draw down at least 400 to get grant and walls are only 320, you can't include the 80 for ber in that 400. Cheapest quote came from guy 25 yrs in insulation and he gave us that info. Definitely shop around because they all sound like they know the business

Will do - have booked him for 24th October - so will report back - hopefully it is worth it. He is doing the attic for E514 - other quotes for attic were double this - we already have pipes lagged and there is 100 mill of insulation there already - he is putting 200 mill on top and sorting out the water tank.

Angela59

Hi Angela,

Having done this myself last year, putting down the 100mm insulation is the hard part. The 200mm stuff comes in rolls that are wrapped in a tin-foil material. You just roll them out perpendicular to the existing insulation. A simple job that you should be able to do for half the cost.

Hi Firefly,

The installer is charging E500 for the attic to lay the insulation and do walk way to water tank and insulate under that area - the attic is almost 1000 sq feet - to me that sounds cheap and would hardly do it for as cheap ourselves - perhaps I am wrong.

Angela59

Really good discussion here. All seem to be retro-fit and maybe an inclusion of cavity width to be pumped and amount of existing attic insulation would help in cost comparisons but In my case i'm looking to pump a 200mm full cavity with grey beads....So in this case its very hard to compare prices from job to job. Anyone who has done same as me for two storey 2600 sq ft house please advise on price

Hi Firefly,

The installer is charging E500 for the attic to lay the insulation and do walk way to water tank and insulate under that area.

Make sure he doesn't insulate under the water tank.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Hi Firefly,

The installer is charging E500 for the attic to lay the insulation and do walk way to water tank and insulate under that area - the attic is almost 1000 sq feet - to me that sounds cheap and would hardly do it for as cheap ourselves - perhaps I am wrong.

Angela59
that's seem like a really good price.. angela, may i ask are you giving him a cheque? as in, is he paying tax?

Last edited:
Seeing LCO2D's comments raised a few flags.
Make sure a guy who's operating for that price knows what he's doing.

Attic venting should comply with http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1647,en.pdf (Diagram 11 P. 28 of Technical Guidance Document F).
In a normal open attic, Eaves 10mm vent should be kept clear, not blocked by additional height of quilted insulation.
In an attic which is wholly or partly houses rooms, additional eaves vent and high level vents are needed.

With additional quilted insulation at the ceiling level, the rest of the attic above this gets colder.
All services and water storage above the level of the insulation need to be reviewed.

The tank needs an insulated cover.
Insulation should be wrapped around the sides.
This should run continuously down and into the floor insulation (no gaps).
There should be no insulation under it.

Special arrangements are required for water heating tanks sitting above the main tank.
All piped water surfaces should also be insulated including overflows.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back