General cost of getting cavity walls filled

corkgal

Its a 4 bed house, detached in Cork. Not a massive house.
I want to get the house warmer for this winter as we nearly froze last winter.

Anyone get this done?

Grants available for it.

Have a look here:

[broken link removed]

Thanks
Hope to get the grant. We got one for getting our heating controls updated a few years ago. Its great to have this available.
I still would like to know the general ball park of how much it costs.

Two storey, 4 bed detached here.

I was quoted €2230.00 for 300mm attic insulation, lagging of pipes and tank, cavity wall insulation and 2 vents for fireplaces.

With grant it should cost me €1700.00

thanks Paddy,
I'll start getting quotes and see.

What do the fireplace vents do?

They're a requirement .... if there's a fireplace in the room, the room has to be vented to the outside.

Two storey, 4 bed detached here.

I was quoted €2230.00 for 300mm attic insulation, lagging of pipes and tank, cavity wall insulation and 2 vents for fireplaces.

With grant it should cost me €1700.00

Paddy, I'm curious about this quote. My neighbour got her walls injected with insulation. It's a small tec'd house, 3 beds, and she paid over 4K for that! Your quote seems terrific in comparison. Any ideas as to why there would be such a vast difference?

My friend who lives on the outskirts of Cork city had hers done last year for under 2000.00 by a superb local guy. As she is away for a few days I cannot give you exact details of the guy's name or price.

They got 3 quotes ranging from 1800.00 to 2500.00 approx for 2 storey 4 bed detached with single story extension (kitchen) on the back and front porch both of which were insulated also

I have a semi-d with garage converted in Limerick area - thinking of getting this done.
House can be cold in Winter...
Anybody had it done recently and know cost?

I too was thinking of getting mine done before the winter sets in.

I have a 2100 sq ft storey and a half detached house.

hi guys... lots of details on the grants from http://www.seai.ie/Grants/ LOTs of companies doing it at the moment, but make sure that they are registered.. ideally get a recommendation from someone who got it done last year... there are different types of insulation beads for pumping into the cavity wall & you should have 300mm of attic insulation. Remember that all the pipes / tanks in the attic should be done as part of the quote aswell...
Get a few quotes - compare & contrast these as closely as possible... Average is around 2K - but all depends on the size of external walls & size of the attic(s)... as far as my understanding is, not all houses are suitable for the bead fill - if you have an old house, there have been reports that the glue reacts with uncovered wires running between the gaps...say old houses, as it's a requirement to have protection / tubing (whatever the technical term is) if there are wires laid like that...

Remember if yo u are applying for the grant, then they must be registered with seai. (list on the web) - This "registry" is only that, as far as I understand, there isn't much vetting involved ... so before you decide .. do your homework...

Good info Jazz, but just wondering is there not a ball park calculation out there for getting this done. I know it will vary from supplier to supplier, house to house, but there must be a rough guide like €x per sq ft of house.

I had the cavity walls and attic done under the SEI grant last winter and it cost €2000 gross. House is a 4bed detached 1800 sq ft in Limerick. I got 3 quotes and all were within €100 of each other. Used Southern Insulation as thery were recommended to me. No connection though.

I think it depends on the size of the space you have to fill so if there is some existing aeroboard in the cavity it will cost less than if there is nothing.

Tying in with the other thread here about payback on solar tubes, I am beginning to wonder if a fairly well built house could do without cavity wall insulation in respect of the fact that the savings on your heat loss may be minimal and take a long long time to pay back the €2k or so figure for installion?

Anyone agree?

Hi,

I have a 2800 sq foot detached house - had quotes for up to E2500. I had bord gais out to give me a quote found the contractor they use very professional but he told me straight off before any quote I would not get a grant as I have a dormer style house and it is not covered under the grant scheme - the quote from bord gais for insulation to walls and attic was E3700. If I was able to get grant I would have got 10% discount from bord gais also but because I wouldn't be able to get grant I could not get this discount. Bord Gais are way off the mark with their prices.

Angela59

Hi Angela59 - I find it strange that the contractor said that would not qualify for a grant as you have a "dormer style house"... type of house (as far as I remember) has nothing to do with it... I have a dormer bungalow, & no issues with getting the grant (back in 2009...)

Hi Angela59 - I find it strange that the contractor said that would not qualify for a grant as you have a "dormer style house"... type of house (as far as I remember) has nothing to do with it... I have a dormer bungalow, & no issues with getting the grant (back in 2009...)

Hi Jazz01,

Neither of the other contractors had mentioned this but the contractor from Bord Gais pointed it out before he even started to look at house - he pointed out if there is a vaulted ceiling or there is dormer style roof that it would not pass when the seai came out to check - maybe they have tightened up since 2009 but to be honest whatever about getting walls done in my own opinion you would do the attic space yourself far cheaper than most contractors I had out.

Angela59

My house is a 5 bedroom 2,400sq ft house and it only cost 1100 with vat and then cheaper with the grant, all the quotes here seem quite high. Well worth doing, our house keeps the heat in now and is no longer an igloo

Back