Garmin Sat Nav

sorry I don't get your point, According to you, if I get stopped for speeding I just tell them it's not law.
In the absence of signeage which is normal in the UK but never in Ireland, it varies so much in Ireland if you miss a sign you cannot tell the speed by the type of road. UK uses deristriction sign (black on white no numbers) Ireland does not use this

sorry I don't get your point, According to you, if I get stopped for speeding I just tell them it's not law.

Where did I say that?

In the absence of signeage which is normal in the UK but never in Ireland,

That's just not true. Irish legislation explicitly deals with the default limits by road type (Ordinary, Built-up and Regional & Local) with allowance then for 'special' limits as may be applied locally. In the absence of signage indicating otherwise, the default limit applies. There has been a move to increase the numbers of signs around the country, but by no means are there signs on every single road, nor is there a requirement under law for same.

UK uses deristriction sign (black on white no numbers) Ireland does not use this

We just replaced most of those with 100km/h sings on the conversion to km/h for clarity. There are national roads with limits other than (and in cases higher than) 100km/h.

yes 80kph down a back single track road, very common

It's more common than you think. Many secondary roads will have a 80km/h limit as any lower would mean any new development is effectively prohibited under the local development plan (much more onerous conditions to get a new entrance in a 50km/h zone). It was a running joke for many years around my home place that a section of the national primary route approaching a bend with hard shoulders had a 60km/h limit while a narrow secondary side-road turning off it had an 80km/h limit. There are plenty of other similar examples dotted across the country.

Back