Garmin Sat Nav

roker

does anyone notice that max speed indication is often incorrect, it could tel me I am in a 60km zone when it is in fact a 80km zone and Visa versa. It could lead to a speeding fine. Garmin need to get their act together together with not having facilities for Irish postal code, I have to use my phone for this

I use mine simply for the speed limits and yes they are not always accurate but the bulk of the time it is and yes there are signs but sometimes it's easy to forget which one you just saw when you've moved on a bit or maybe miss one while keeping an eye on something else on the road so it's a handy second line of defense as such. It's certainly not reliable to find anywhere though, I use just for the convenience of being able to see at a glance my speed and speed limit which is usually right.

Mind you my new car shows the speed quite clearly at a glance but have the sat nav since old car which was in miles and you had to actually look at the speedometer so sat nav was a lot handier with km.

Read the signs if stuck.... got a Garmin a few years ago but never use it, seems Google maps have superseded it though may be of use if driving on continent.....

I use mine simply for the speed limits and yes they are not always accurate but the bulk of the time it is and yes there are signs but sometimes it's easy to forget which one you just saw when you've moved on a bit or maybe miss one while keeping an eye on something else on the road so it's a handy second line of defense as such. It's certainly not reliable to find anywhere though, I use just for the convenience of being able to see at a glance my speed and speed limit which is usually right.

Mind you my new car shows the speed quite clearly at a glance but have the sat nav since old car which was in miles and you had to actually look at the speedometer so sat nav was a lot handier with km.

Google maps shows speed limits and known speed cameras apparently.

There is also Waze... Based on Google maps data but has a lot more user info on issues like crashes and roadworks. I think Waze has speed data as well

Sat Nav I have shows known area too for speed cameras.

My phone is pretty basic, not into that stuff :) and I mainly just use it for calls believe it or not!

Speed limits on Google aren't always correct either. Don't think any of it could be used as a defense if caught speeding. As a county councillor once said: if you're not sure of the speed limit, just drive a little bit below it.

If only there were signs at the side of the road to indicate the speed limit.
Someone should do something about that

That’s unnecessary really. There are speed limits signs placed everywhere you change from one speed limit to another. And if you come from a side road onto a road of a different speed limit, and there is no sign there, that means the new speed limit is the “default” speed limit.

AFAIK it’s illegal or against TROTR if you don’t know what the speed limit is where you are driving.

do you need an external data connection on Google app?

Not quite sure if I understand this correctly but I think I saw son download the directions while using wi-fi in house and then using the info at a later stage on his phone in car which means presumably off-line. Does that make sense.

The built-in DVD-based sat-nav on my old Toyota Avensis stopped pairing with phones some time ago. I dismantled the dash, took the enormous black box under the front seat out and with a single simple patch-cable (no wires cut, no soldering, no sticky tape) i removed the head-unit and installed a Sony Apple Play head-unit. Pairing this with my iPhone I use WAZE (free for Android or iOS) and find it better then either Google or Apple maps. My car speedo indicates speeds slightly higher than actual road-speed, WAZE indicated speeds are accurate and shows red if I exceed road-sign speed limits, and she also informs me of impending speed-checks (random ones) and road & weather conditions. Point-to-point times are good and the ability to plan routes in advance on the phone is a god-send.

Any downsides? Spending €320 for this kind of stuff for an old car might seem like madness, but i now have sat-nav, decent sound (the new system drives the speakers better) true hands-free and accuracy. Yer wan is a bit of a pain voice-wise when she interrupts The Beatles, The Stones or FleetwoodMac, but I might try getting Moira from my phone working in WAZE.

Nothing to sell here, WAZE is free on the App Store or Google; give it a whirl.

p.s. Sony XAV-AX1000 Media Receiver (6.2 Inch, with Bluetooth and Apple CarPlay) and Connects2 CTSTY001.2 + CTMULTILEAD.2 Steering Wheel Retention Compatible for TOYOTA Avensis all you'll need if you want to convert your old Avensis, that and a couple of screw-drivers and some patience routing wires.

Last edited:
If only there were signs at the side of the road to indicate the speed limit.
Someone should do something about that
you don't need signs in the UK because the limits are standadise, 70mph on motorways and dual carriageway, 60 on normal roads and 30 in towns. there are no intermediate signs (like 60 mph going into a 50 limit) in Ireland you don't know until you see a sign.
There's a town near me the speed limit goes 100 to 80 to 60 to 50 in a distance of 1 kilometer

you don't need signs in the UK because the limits are standadise, 70mph on motorways and dual carriageway, 60 on normal roads and 30 in towns. there are no intermediate signs (like 60 mph going into a 50 limit) in Ireland you don't know until you see a sign.

THe UK have 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 & 70mph, they even have 25mph in limited circumstances. Like here there are general rules but local authorities are free to deviate from those.

taken from highway code.
there are other limits for towing vehicles etc. but you generally don't see speed indication because they are all standard
note it copied across incorrect, the second row needs to move 1 place left
Built-up areas mph (km/h)Single carriageways mph (km/h)Dual carriageways mph (km/h)Motorways mph (km/h)
Cars, motorcycles, car-derived vans and dual-purpose vehicles30 (48)60 (96)70 (112)70 (112

Last edited:
taken from highway code.

Again like here, the highway code is not law, it's an idiot's guide if you will. The Highway Code details the default limits, the ones that apply in the absence of signeage indicating otherwise. Legislation here is quite similar to theirs in this area. As here, LAs can and do set other limits within their jurisdiction. The Government published guide to road signs as defined in law includes examples of 20, 30, & 40mph sings.

Last edited:
Back