Garden / Landscape Design Costs

We paid €350 for a design which included bill of materials - quantities of paving etc. We did the work ourselves. Sounds like you are being ripped off at €1800!

:oops: Holy Guacamole Batman

i am not happy that this is the price, but it is apparently not unreasonable.
7 weeks of work in total, on average 2 people on site.
clear out site
50m Fencing
Total of about 40sqm of limestone paving, couple of steps
various raised beds / Retaining walls (far side is about half meter higher than at the house)
BBQ area, but of plumbing, electrics, light, etc.
if you then take into account decent material that one is happy to look at for many years....

Irish building industry is still rip off, by and large.

Throw in a small raised rectangular veg patch with room for two raspberry and two blackcurrant bushes at top-of-the-right. Use rhubarb roots there too and you'll probably have some room for lettuce and carrot plants.

I wouldn’t bother with a veg patch in my garden when I can buy carrots and onions for no more than 49c every week as part of the super six deals. Complete waste of money IMO.

We paid €350 for a design which included bill of materials - quantities of paving etc. We did the work ourselves. Sounds like you are being ripped off at €1800!

€350 isn't going to pay for much of anyone's time after they pay overheads and taxes.

Without comparing the quality of outputs of the two designs with reference to the ask, there is simply no way of determining which was better value.

€350 isn't going to pay for much of anyone's time after they pay overheads and taxes.

Without comparing the quality of outputs of the two designs with reference to the ask, there is simply no way of determining which was better value.
The charge was for two site visits, approx. 45 mins each, a set of scaled 2d drawings, and a list of the required materials to produce the garden in the design....quantities of stone, hard core, decorative walling etc. Subsequently, the same service provider gave us a planting list for the beds etc. once constructed, at no extra charge. I believe we just got good value. I am not sure how one compares the quality of outputs in relation to garden design. You provide the brief, the designer puts it together, its either what you want or it is not. On foot of the brief provided by us to this designer, which was design only, the same designer secured two garden construction jobs from neighbours where he did the work, so perhaps there was method in his perceived madness!! Perhaps the consultation is a loss leader for this particular contractor. N.B. he is a contractor and not a pure designer, but he knows his gardens! Note also that some of the materials providers in this area, for example, Kilsaran, offer a free design consultation at their showrooms. This consultation is not as detailed as you would need, but it is free and it is helpful!!

I am not sure how one compares the quality of outputs in relation to garden design.

Same as any design, you assess on how well it meets the brief for all factors of importance, and assess whether it ticks the boxes or go beyond what you could have done yourself? Just like every builder can design you a basic house, truely great design goes so much further. For a garden plan, does it meet all requirements, is it thoughtful of desired use, location, orientation, local climate & micro-climates on site, how will it look across all seasons and during the transitions, how will it look in 10 years, how much maintenance is required, will it attract the pollinators the planting requires, how is the view framed from within the house, and above all, is it a nice garden, or something that makes everyone who sees it go 'Wow!'?

Perhaps the consultation is a loss leader for this particular contractor.

And there is the issue, comparing a loss-leader to that of full price isn't comparing apples to apples. Think about it, they spent 1.5 hours on site plus travel time, how many hours drawing up the plans, BOM, etc.? Then factor in overheads and taxes, there's very few professionals who will work for that kind of money.

I'm not saying €1800 is cheap either by the way, we don't have enough information available here to make that call.

People sometimes miss the point that AAM is a broad church. No doubt there are people who have spent €50k on their garden, people who have to do it themselves, and a load of people in between. There is no right or wrong answer, it’s just useful to share experiences and recommendations. Thereafter, each to his own.

Same as any design, you assess on how well it meets the brief for all factors of importance, and assess whether it ticks the boxes or go beyond what you could have done yourself? Just like every builder can design you a basic house, truely great design goes so much further. For a garden plan, does it meet all requirements, is it thoughtful of desired use, location, orientation, local climate & micro-climates on site, how will it look across all seasons and during the transitions, how will it look in 10 years, how much maintenance is required, will it attract the pollinators the planting requires, how is the view framed from within the house, and above all, is it a nice garden, or something that makes everyone who sees it go 'Wow!'?

And there is the issue, comparing a loss-leader to that of full price isn't comparing apples to apples. Think about it, they spent 1.5 hours on site plus travel time, how many hours drawing up the plans, BOM, etc.? Then factor in overheads and taxes, there's very few professionals who will work for that kind of money.

I'm not saying €1800 is cheap either by the way, we don't have enough information available here to make that call.

Leo, thanks for clearing all that up. And I just thought that I was replying to the question relating to "what's the going rate for a garden design?" little did I know it was going to be a school day! Do you think that we would have engaged the services of a professional to design us a garden without the elements that you have defined as "good design"!? You know, from your posts on this topic, I'm starting to think that you might just be the one charging €1800 for a consultation!!! You quite clearly know a lot about this topic, are you a garden designer yourself? BTW we also hired an interior designer for work inside the house and she charged €100 per hour for her services, is that too cheap also? I am not too sure of your frame of reference for "professionals" in this general area, have you priced work recently yourself? My point on garden design is simply this, it can be done for a lot cheaper than €1800-, and I have provided an example of how. Take advantage of free advice, use a contractor with years of garden design experience to provide the design, and if you can, do the work yourself. It is a most enjoyable and rewarding experience, and I look back with pride everyday when I see my garden and consider that myself, my brother in law and my nephews did the work ourselves! Blood, sweat and dare I say it, even a few tears from the missus, but it looks great!!

Leo, thanks for clearing all that up. And I just thought that I was replying to the question relating to "what's the going rate for a garden design?" little did I know it was going to be a school day! Do you think that we would have engaged the services of a professional to design us a garden without the elements that you have defined as "good design"!? You know, from your posts on this topic, I'm starting to think that you might just be the one charging €1800 for a consultation!!! You quite clearly know a lot about this topic, are you a garden designer yourself? BTW we also hired an interior designer for work inside the house and she charged €100 per hour for her services, is that too cheap also? I am not too sure of your frame of reference for "professionals" in this general area, have you priced work recently yourself? My point on garden design is simply this, it can be done for a lot cheaper than €1800-, and I have provided an example of how. Take advantage of free advice, use a contractor with years of garden design experience to provide the design, and if you can, do the work yourself. It is a most enjoyable and rewarding experience, and I look back with pride everyday when I see my garden and consider that myself, my brother in law and my nephews did the work ourselves! Blood, sweat and dare I say it, even a few tears from the missus, but it looks great!!
Bit uncalled for, this response, to be honest.
if you think you can do as good a job yourselves with your in law than a professional with plenty of experience and maybe even a degree in architecture or design, more power to you.
Given the general state of Irish architecture and building design I daresay not a few miss those skills though.

Bit uncalled for, this response, to be honest.
if you think you can do as good a job yourselves with your in law than a professional with plenty of experience and maybe even a degree in architecture or design, more power to you.
Given the general state of Irish architecture and building design I daresay not a few miss those skills though.
I think you're missing my point. The discussion is around the cost of a design, not around the costs to build a garden. On the subject of the design, we did use a professional with years of experience - an individual with over 20 years in the business and the requisite qualifications. My point is that this does not need to cost the earth to get a professional and appropriate design. In relation to the build itself, which is separate to the design discussion, as it happened, the people involved had themselves qualifications and years of experience in building and in horticulture - they just happened to be family members, but that as I say is beside the point.

Leo, thanks for clearing all that up. And I just thought that I was replying to the question relating to "what's the going rate for a garden design?"

You did, but from your subsequent clarification, it seems your answer was misleading. The OP didn't ask what loss-leader price they might be able to achieve if the professional was of the opinion they might be in with a chance of winning a full-service contract.

You quite clearly know a lot about this topic, are you a garden designer yourself?

It's well covered here what I do, and it's a long way removed from landscaping.

BTW we also hired an interior designer for work inside the house and she charged €100 per hour for her services, is that too cheap also?

I don't know, I'd need to see her work and compare it to that of her peers and then compare their rates.

My point on garden design is simply this, it can be done for a lot cheaper than €1800

Exactly, just like you can get a basic house design cheap as chips, but if you want better, it'll cost you more.

You did, but from your subsequent clarification, it seems your answer was misleading. The OP didn't ask what loss-leader price they might be able to achieve if the professional was of the opinion they might be in with a chance of winning a full-service contract.

It's well covered here what I do, and it's a long way removed from landscaping.

I don't know, I'd need to see her work and compare it to that of her peers and then compare their rates.

Exactly, just like you can get a basic house design cheap as chips, but if you want better, it'll cost you more.
Okay, I am going to quit now. Can I just make it clear to the original poster, that the price of €350 was paid on the basis of a design only fee. The person involved was not misled, they knew it was for the design element only, and were happy with that fee for the work involved. Subsequently, when we completed the garden, (because it was so nice) neighbours asked us to advise them as to who provided the design. We did advise them, but on that occasion, they then went on to employ his services as a contractor to actually do the work.

Hi all,I am replacing a garden fence after 26 years. The original wood was oak. Posts 4 by 4.My top priority is long last another 26 years would be good.Does anyone know where i can source posts that will last a long time with minimum maintainance/treatment etc..I would appreciate any relevant comments or advice e. g.what variety and type of wood to last for 25 year last etc.

Back