Gardai: kicked handcuffed male into the back

Clubman

You are totally correct.

As always.

If I always had time to search the internet like you do I'd have been able to find that info too.

I was just going by what I remembered I wasn't aware that this was an exam .

I just don't consider getting a suspended sentence punishment enough.

Since this section is about chat, answer me a question why are you repeating yourself.

First you say this

which proves your point

Then you repeat yourself with

Have you nothing new to add to this thread?
Unlike your post above you mean? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The only bit I can see in my post that repeated itself was

I just don't consider getting a suspended sentence punishment enough.

So :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: to you too.

I once overheard two detectives interview a guy while investigating a crime (robbery). I thought it was the mob - the threats were flying and the language was nasty. This guy was no angel and the guards may have had reason to suspect him - however I was not impressed.

The Gardai need to maintain the highest standards - kicking a handcuffed man in the back brings the state down never mind the force.

Interesting this was brought up. A Garda friend of mine was working that day and he said that they were subject to a high level of intimidation by the crowd.

He had guys standing almost nose to nose shouting abuse and urging him to have a go. Throwing shadow punches and kicks right in his face. The squad car he was sitting in at another time was almost toppled over by the crowd. Strangley none of this was caught on camera by the tree huggers.
Equally strange how none of this intimidation was caught on camera by RTE or TV3 either?

Equally strange how none of this intimidation was caught on camera by RTE or TV3 either?

I believe most of the footage that was shown on the news was tree hugger footage not from RTE or TV3. Was Charlie Bird not on the floor at that stage or was that another time?,

He would have no reason to make such a story up when he knows my attitude to such matters.

I believe most of the footage that was shown on the news was tree hugger footage not from RTE or TV3. Was Charlie Bird not on the floor at that stage or was that another time?,

He would have no reason to make such a story up when he knows my attitude to such matters.
I'm pretty sure the Charlie incident was at the Love Ulster parade/riot, not the Reclaim the Streets one. I'm pretty sure that I saw broadcast-quality footage of the Reclaim the Streets riot on RTE, so I assume that RTE or other professional crews were involved. It wouldn't surprise me that there was some degree of intimidation of Gardai, but I wouldn't believe any one-sided claims of widespread intimidation that was not filmed or otherwise reported in the media. And regardless, I'd expect the Gardai to respond professionally to such intimidation.

When they suggested the love Ulster parade, did anybody tell them it was a bad idea?

I found it funny when two comics went up to Belfast and had a love Munster parade much to the bemusement of the Belfast residents.

What about the brave guy who threw a punch at a small sized ban garda after the tipp clare match under 21

You gotta be joking. Too much like hard work. Try giving these swarty boys a rap of a baton and see what happens.;)
these guys should work in Mullingar,they could do with some heavies down there.

And regardless, I'd expect the Gardai to respond professionally to such intimidation.

I don't think a smack of a batton across the back of the head 10 or 15 times would do these guys any harm.

What would you expect if you tried to overturn a Garda car and shouted abuse in their face. "Come a long now Sir, there's no need for that carry on"

Just to be clear, do you still reckon that there was widespread intimidation of the Gardai which wasn't reported by press or broadcast media?

I don't think a smack of a batton across the back of the head 10 or 15 times would do these guys any harm.
I guess we have a different definition of 'harm'. In my book, harm would include death and lifelong disablity and decreased respect for the Gardai, but I guess you have a different book.

What would you expect if you tried to overturn a Garda car and shouted abuse in their face. "Come a long now Sir, there's no need for that carry on"
I outlined what I'd expect in my earlier post, i.e. a professional response. The Gardai should use minimum force to contain the situation, and let the court system decide the punishment.

The Gardai should use minimum force to contain the situation, and let the court system decide the punishment.

And 99 times out of 100, they do just that. There are always going to be unwelcome incidents. Show me a police force where these things don't happen. When they do they should be punished but there are alot of guards out there who risk their safety and even lives trying to their do their jobs under very difficult circumstances and don't deserve some of the comments made by some people here. (Not talking about you).

Just to be clear, do you still reckon that there was widespread intimidation of the Gardai which wasn't reported by press or broadcast media?

I guess we have a different definition of 'harm'. In my book, harm would include death and lifelong disablity and decreased respect for the Gardai, but I guess you have a different book.

I outlined what I'd expect in my earlier post, i.e. a professional response. The Gardai should use minimum force to contain the situation, and let the court system decide the punishment.

Who mentioned "widespread intimidation"? I was just referring to 2 incidents.

Your definition of harm is interesting. I obvioulsy don't mean death or disability but the issue of decreased respect for the Gardai, you are having a laugh. Some piece of dirt that tries to overturn a car has no respect for the Gardai in the first place.

It would increase my respect for the Gardia if I witnessed this piece of dirt getting what he deserved.

Who mentioned "widespread intimidation"? I was just referring to 2 incidents.

You referred to a 'high level of intimidation' in this earlier post.

Your definition of harm is interesting. I obvioulsy don't mean death or disability but the issue of decreased respect for the Gardai, you are having a laugh. Some piece of dirt that tries to overturn a car has no respect for the Gardai in the first place.

How do you plan to give 'a smack of a batton (sic) across the back of the head 10 or 15 times' without risking death or disability? A single blow is enough to kill, depending on the circumstances.

The perpetrator may well have no respect for the Gardai. You can be damn sure he (and his mates and his family) will have less respect from the Gardai if they turn into the kind of uniformed thugs you propose.

It would increase my respect for the Gardia if I witnessed this piece of dirt getting what he deserved.
The public reaction to various Garda scandals, particularly Donegal would suggest that most people expect the Gardai to lead by example in upholding the rule of law.

Some of the posts on this thread have shocked me.

The 2 key instances referred to in this post, have been about someone already in custody, being assaulted. I'm amazed at the number of people who are condoning the behavior.

The Gardai are trained to deal with criminals. The should be using reasonable force to arrest the person & once in handcuff's, there should be no reason to be giving dig's or kick's once the person is detained.

In fact, they risk having the conviction thrown out & the "scumbag" being back on the streets if they use excessive force / assault.

I fully concur that the Gardai do have to deal with aggressive individuals, but is that not part of the job ?

There is a lovely photo in the independant today of Garda Gerry McCabe's widow with her son who has graduated from Templemore. I admire those people who join the guards and handle the criminals for the rest of us. Kicking someone in handcuffs is clearly wrong but if we knew what the young man had done crimewise or what had just passed before in the paddywagon we might have a different viewpoint. Maybe the garda was stressed out and he did the wrong thing.

Back