Gardai: kicked handcuffed male into the back

i know some posters are taking the scumbags side here, but the fact is is that if i was arresting a scumbag that almost killed my workmates and almost killed a young mum and her kids, then assualted me and spat at me i see no problem giving a few digs. I have a few friends who are guards and they all say that if they were arresting a scumbag in this situation, they would use as much force as is needed and taking down the scumbag quickly is very important. most scum are armed these days with knives and blood filled syringes. add to that most of them are high on drugs which makes them immune to pain and very strong (depending on the drug) using as much force as possible diffuses the situation quickly and efficently, so the gardai are safe

My partner is a Guard (recently qualified) and he has been threatened, headbutted and spat at. Imagine if this happened to you on a regular basis in the course of your work? He has never "given a dig" to anyone he has dealings with...but this is something he could not say with certainty will never happen. He says that it is a very hard job sometimes and a huge amount of their time is taken up with the "known scumbags in the area" - fellows who are unemployable and who have absolutely no respect for the law. I do not have a problem with a Guard using "excessive force" on a person who is acting up - the Guard is not doing it for the good of his health but rather because he thinks the situation merits it. Yes, it can be said that maybe in hindsight the force used was excessive but it is easy to say that from the comfort of your desk. Holding onto a angry, possibly drugged up man who is saying he knows where you live may provoke a reaction from the most gentle of people. For those who think Guards should be super human and ignore the things these scumbags say and do to them, I say come down off the soap box and spend a day in a busy police station and see what the Guards really have to put up with on a daily basis.
OP - make a complaint by all means; just bear in mind that these situations are not always black and white.

Imagine if this happened to you on a regular basis in the course of your work?
Why should I imagine that? People have a choice, in Ireland no one is forced to joined the guards.
They are also very, very well paid.

My partner is a Guard (recently qualified) and he has been threatened, headbutted and spat at. Imagine if this happened to you on a regular basis in the course of your work? He has never "given a dig" to anyone he has dealings with...but this is something he could not say with certainty will never happen. He says that it is a very hard job sometimes and a huge amount of their time is taken up with the "known scumbags in the area" - fellows who are unemployable and who have absolutely no respect for the law. I do not have a problem with a Guard using "excessive force" on a person who is acting up - the Guard is not doing it for the good of his health but rather because he thinks the situation merits it. Yes, it can be said that maybe in hindsight the force used was excessive but it is easy to say that from the comfort of your desk. Holding onto a angry, possibly drugged up man who is saying he knows where you live may provoke a reaction from the most gentle of people. For those who think Guards should be super human and ignore the things these scumbags say and do to them, I say come down off the soap box and spend a day in a busy police station and see what the Guards really have to put up with on a daily basis.
OP - make a complaint by all means; just bear in mind that these situations are not always black and white.

I appreciate its a hard job, and if you are spit on you will react, but initial case in thread was a man handcuffed in street.

common assumption throughout this thread is Garda would only use excessive force against scumbags , who threaten , intimidate and provoke them ..... as you said, not all issues are black and white

If the gardai had done nothing wrong during the reclaim the streets parade then shouldn't have happened.

AFAIK not even 1 gardai got injured during the 'riot'.

I understand the only gardai to be punished got a 1 month suspended sentence and he's still a gardai.

Thank you Clubman for proving me wrong, the gardai was not jailed, not fined, didn't lose his job, I'm not sure whether or not he even said sorry to his victims or indeed if anyone from the Gardai Siochana said sorry to the victims of these assaults.
Punishment indeed.

People have been jailed for far less things see here.

i know some posters are taking the scumbags side here, but the fact is is that if i was arresting a scumbag that almost killed my workmates and almost killed a young mum and her kids, then assualted me and spat at me i see no problem giving a few digs. I have a few friends who are guards and they all say that if they were arresting a scumbag in this situation, they would use as much force as is needed and taking down the scumbag quickly is very important. most scum are armed these days with knives and blood filled syringes. add to that most of them are high on drugs which makes them immune to pain and very strong (depending on the drug) using as much force as possible diffuses the situation quickly and efficently, so the gardai are safe

Wasn't this kid in handcuffs already? It's a disgrace that any Guard would assult a person while taking them into custody. Those guys should go back to college as they missed the class which told them that assulting the public is a crime. Shame on them.

OP, what was the outcome of this thread? I'm sure we'd all like to know how you got on.

OP, what was the outcome of this thread? I'm sure we'd all like to know how you got on.

If she went to the station to complain Shootingstar's probably going to be out of touch for a while.

If someone was to spit in my face, I would have more then words with them. But I'm not a trained pro, for that matter I would find it very difficult to sit across from a rapist/child killer/pimp etc and interview them in a lawfull manner. Why? because it's not the career I chose.
The law keepers in this country know what they sign up for.

i remember a well respected local guard years ago who would put any local lads involved in a fight on a weekend into the back of the patrol car and drive about 6 miles out oftown up the hills. he would then take their shoes off them and let them walk home. after a 6 mile walk in stocking feet they calmed down a bit. he would keep their shoes in the station and give them back on request. this practice solved a lot of anti social behaviour in the area, but i think the guard in question got into trouble years later for doing this. pity really, cos it worked.

spot on...

"As much for as possible"?
Do you mean as much force as necessary?

Do remember that the police have the power to deprive a fellow citizen of their liberty. Given that they have these powers they have a responsibility to behave in a professional and controlled way when carrying out their duties.

"As much for as possible"?
Do you mean as much force as necessary?

Do remember that the police have the power to deprive a fellow citizen of their liberty. Given that they have these powers they have a responsibility to behave in a professional and controlled way when carrying out their duties.
i didnt say " as much force as possible" i said " as much force as needed" given the situation, read again. if i was arresting a scumbag who was armed and almost killed my colleagues and a mum of 2, i would be using as much force as i could, otherwise i would risk being killed or someone else being killed. why do people insist on taking the scumbags side?

Thank you Clubman for proving me wrong, the gardai was not jailed, not fined, didn't lose his job, I'm not sure whether or not he even said sorry to his victims or indeed if anyone from the Gardai Siochana said sorry to the victims of these assaults.
Punishment indeed.
He was convicted though and that directly contradicts what you said earlier.

i didnt say " as much force as possible" i said " as much force as needed"

kkman, you said:

... they would use as much force as is needed and taking down the scumbag quickly is very important...

...and then you said:

...using as much force as possible diffuses the situation quickly and efficently, so the gardai are safe...

Hope I never have you taking down my statement ;)

Clubman

You are totally correct.

As always.

If I always had time to search the internet like you do I'd have been able to find that info too.

I was just going by what I remembered I wasn't aware that this was an exam .

I just don't consider getting a suspended sentence punishment enough.

Since this section is about chat, answer me a question why are you repeating yourself.

First you say this

which proves your point

Then you repeat yourself with

He was convicted though and that directly contradicts what you said earlier.

Have you nothing new to add to this thread?

Clubman

You are totally correct.

As always.

If I always had time to search the internet like you do I'd have been able to find that info too.

I was just going by what I remembered I wasn't aware that this was an exam .

I just don't consider getting a suspended sentence punishment enough.

Since this section is about chat, answer me a question why are you repeating yourself.

First you say this

which proves your point

Then you repeat yourself with

Have you nothing new to add to this thread?
Unlike your post above you mean? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back