Garda standards in free fall

S

setemupjoe

I was at the tall ships festival last week with my 3 yr old son and was surprised to see two young guards leaning on the rail with elbows on the rail like two school children .I felt like going over and tapping them on the shoulder and saying your supposed to be looking this way at the crowd for anti-social behavior and thieves etc. they looked so unprofessional and untrained.After putting my son on the small train on a later occasion I came across the same two guards walking down the promenade with ....wait for it ....the two of them walking with both their hands in their pockets and caps slightly to the side ! is this some new fashion among the new recruits or something ? looked so sloppy and by their body language you could just see they were killing time engrossed in their own conversation. an email was dispatched to the garda commissioner with date and time and location of this sloppy police behavior and hopefully he will track the two down and retrain them! I would encourage anybody to do the same if they come across this shoddy display.

...wait for it ....the two of them walking with both their hands in their pockets and caps slightly to the side !

Such terrible conduct!! And in public too!! I am appalled beyond words. You should really ring Joe Duffy about this. They will be delighted to hear from you.

After putting my son on the small train on a later occasion I came across the same two guards walking down the promenade with ....wait for it ....the two of them walking with both their hands in their pockets and caps slightly to the side !

My God. :eek: Did you cover your son's eyes?

its amazing our acceptance of shoddy standards that this thread is a joke!! we accept poor standards with an "ah sure alright, so" attitude.
The police were being paid to patrol at that time and did not even disguise their boredom.
As for Brendan Cambell I am also dsappointed that people thought it was "funny" or acceptable.

The guards get abused for wearing stab vests on duty on one thread because it makes them look menacing and then they get abused on this thread because they look laid back patrolling what sounds like a peaceful family day out. God, why do they bother!

an email was dispatched to the garda commissioner with date and time and location of this sloppy police behavior and hopefully
Don't think Commission will get worked up about this!Wheelock family spent a year in the courts trying to get Garda forensic data from same Commission.Amnesty are taking this death in custody case very seriously.No jokes from Amnesty on this!
He also acted quickly in threatening criminal charges against private detective who exposed Garda conspiracy in Donegal.
There is a joke in here somewhere, but not from the person who started this thread.

The police were being paid to patrol at that time and did not even disguise their boredom.
Were you there? The original poster never mentioned anything about boredom.

Seems to me that highlighting this minor issue is blowing things out of all proportion and that the public (well most of us) and Gardaí have much more important things to worry about.

So anyone who is bored at any particular time in the course of their job shouldn't be paid for that time?
no, do your job and you won't be bored.
My friend is a guard, she loves doing these events but you get out of it what you put into it stand there holding up railings is not exactly professional looking. they should have been walking round, patroling the area as the OP stated was his opinion.
Its not an easy job and patroling and supervising the public at these concerts and summer events should be at the better end of the spectrum of the work. but for 2 new garda the experience was probably leaving them more stressed out (as not doing enough to keep yourself occupied has been provent to be just as stressful as having too much to do), and I would agree with OP that this is poor training. He is allowed to hold the opinion that the 2 he saw were unprofessional and poorly trained.

they should have been walking round, patroling the area as the OP stated was his opinion.
How do you know what instructions their commanding officer gave them? Maybe they were supposed to be in one specific spot?

.sunny I said nothing about stab vests or laid back so read the post correctly

Never said you did. I said there was another thread on this forum giving out about guards wearing stab vests.

And I think you can safely say that everyone expects high standards from the guards but things like walking with hands in the pockets does not annoy me. If you had told me that they had ignored an incident, I would share your concern. Also, the way you worded your complaint doesn't help. You made it sound quiet dramatic. I had pictures of a new tribunal been set up when I had started reading it.

If guards walking around on patrol with their hands in their pockets doesnt annoy you thats your opinion and your entitled to it ...and i wont try riddicule you for it . the word in your previous post in relation to stab vests and my post was (abused) I dont think by stating my opinion was abusing anyone .If my wording wasnt to your standards i apoligise and promise to do better next time ;)

If guards walking around on patrol with their hands in their pockets doesnt annoy you thats your opinion and your entitled to it ...and i wont try riddicule you for it . the word in your previous post in relation to stab vests and my post was (abused) I dont think by stating my opinion was abusing anyone .If my wording wasnt to your standards i apoligise and promise to do better next time ;)

Your wording is fine. I should have used the word 'criticised' rather than 'abused' but I still stand by the fact that your post was very dramatic for what you were to trying to say. I particularly liked to the use of 'wait for it.....' :)

Back